• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryota Ohsaka, Kana Asumi Lead Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara Anime's Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
for a second there, I thought this was some sort of Nakaimo sequel. Same character designer?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Takei's original romantic comedy light novel series revolves around Sōta Hatate, a boy who has the unique ability to see "Flags" above the heads of other people. The "Flags" mark critical crossroads in people's lives — when the choices they make will determine love, friendship, victory, and even death.

Ah, this sounds like a cool premise!

Quote:
He transfers into Tokyo's elite Hatagaya Academy,

Okay, I can deal--

Quote:
but instead of living by himself in the boys' dormitory, he ends up living with five beautiful girls under one roof.

YOU WERE SO CLOSE DAMMIT

YOU WERE NEARLY THERE MAN

Maybe I'll watch. Definitely if one of these chicks is a dude. Oregairu can do it, dammit, more LNs should. I didn't watch Oregairu at all but the doujins...mmm~
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
for a second there, I thought this was some sort of Nakaimo sequel. Same character designer?

The original novel illustrations are by CUTEG, yes.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Definitely if one of these chicks is a dude.

Yes, one is a dude.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

That was my first thought. My second thought was: Wasn't this done as My Mental Multiple-Choice Power Is Completely Ruining My School Romantic Comedy?

Dating games and eroges; They've gone from fodder for individual plots to obvious anime adaptations to "Hey, what if real life was like that?"

No, I'm being too generous. "Hey, what kind of premise can sell thousand of copies of a simply written story with cute pictures without involving an incredibly long time between coming up with actual plots?"
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd love to get a sequel to the series I lovingly refer to as "Imouto Roulette", I don't see that happening. Love Cuteg's art, though.

As for this show, reading the Wikipedia article on it made it sound a lot more interesting. As described here, it does sound exactly like "My Mental Multiple-Choice Power Is Completely Ruining My School Romantic Comedy", which seemed like a lame premise even then.

Apparently, however, in this series the main character gained precognitive abilities after surviving a cruise liner sinking, and is trying to escape his own death flag, and also will involve some magical fantasy elements. Had I only read this article, I doubt I'd be interested in watching this show, but now I think I'll give it a shot.

And yes, Chagen, the orange-haired character is an otokonoko. You may be pleased to watch this series! Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yes, Chagen, the orange-haired character is an otokonoko. You may be pleased to watch this series! Wink

I have never picked up a show so fast.

Don't dissappoint me, doujinka, there were some great Oregairu doujins. Speaking of which I'm surprised that these two unrelated series have traps. I hope LN-harems are starting to gain "the trap" as an established archetype.

EDIT: Wait, assuming my Kanji-fu and self-taught Japanese lessons are correct this trap is being played by...KanaHana.

I don't know if I'll be able to handle this. Oh god. This is amazing.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
is otokonoko just a fancy way of saying trap?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
is otokonoko just a fancy way of saying trap?

Sort of. The term is best translated as "girlyboi", really. "Otoko" means "boy". "ko" means "child"", thus "Otoko no Ko" literally means "boy child". But there's another pun as well--the final kanji, which is pronounced "ko" and means "child", is replaced by a kanji that means "girl" and is still pronounced "ko", this basically making the word go from "male child" to "male girl".

The Japanese and their awful writing puns...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1