• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime Gets Sloppy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was actually at that Monkey Punch panel back in 2006, and the disavowal in question wasn't so drastic as to deny the existence of Gundoh Musashi. Heck, he was actually trying to show the opening from it by browsing Youtube, same as we'd do if we wanted to quickly see an anime's opening!

But what he did say was that he only came up with the concept and the character designs early on and had no involvement whatsoever beyond that: a point he'd repeated a few times. At the time, we weren't entirely sure why he would be so strongly hammering that home, since the show had only been airing for a week or so if that and there were no fansubs available. Nobody had really SEEN the thing yet. I walked out thinking "huh, that part was kind of odd. Wonder what's up with that Gundoh Musashi thing...?" We got our answer a few weeks later!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Good article. I don't typically pay too much attention to these kinds of errors unless the linger on the screen for a while.

Naruto Shippuden episode 167 was one of my favorites. While I can see why people wouldn't like the shift in animation, I enjoyed how the distortion of the characters made the action seem crazy and frenetic. It had an added impact.

If you were to actually have a human being do those things and film it at hundreds of frames a second then the distortion of the human body when it is in motion would become more apparent.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This is the perfect time and place to re-post this absolute gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48T5fZJpXmk

Seriously, watch it and admire just how epic it is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting to see the Max and Milia knife fight from Macross in that link, dtm!
BMDimension

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I have seen instances of these yashigani moments. One that comes to mind is when Hei from Darker Than Black: Ryusei No Gemini was interlocked with an opponent in an action scene shot the animation seemed to lose focus on his facial expression and body shots.

I thought it was funny but checked some forums and blogs when it aired in 2009 and some people weren't too happy with the sloppy anime moment.

I think this is important to note with different views when this happens since as anime fans we take our anime very seriously Smile

Last edited by BMDimension on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This article was amazing, Mike. I know this is nitpicking but I feel it's a big enough nitpick to bring up; Izumi Todo is not a real person, but a pseudonym for the entirety of the Toei Animation staff.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This article is pure gold, I love it when the in-between animation get all sloppy and rushed that at some point in anime, you can see the animation quality fall a bit. But I still think it hilarious to see these pic of anime quality getting sloppy when getting rushed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I was expecting to see the Max and Milia knife fight from Macross in that link, dtm!

I know, right? The foley effects were terrible enough, but what the heck was with Millia's eyes during the fight? I think she was supposed to look focused or angry or something, but instead she came across as deranged and/or high on drugs. Hilarious.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I kinda enjoy animation errors, if for no other reason, they make pretty fun/funny avatars to use online. Laughing

Although honestly how some make it into the final product at time is baffling, I know lots of cartoons & anime are on tight schedules & budgets at times, but still.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
That creepy image from Kamichama Karin on the ANN homepage immediately caught my attention.
Shocked
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For one brief, shining moment, Mint, Rouge, Lemonade, Aqua, and Mint all have the same weird, pinched-looking face.

Think the last one is Dream actually BUT THAT REMINDS ME of one from Persona 4 the Animation. There's a brief shot of the gang eating watermelon and the character Chie appears twice in it, although I think they may have fixed that for the DVD release.

And oh god I love that car chase scene, haven't seen it in yeeeears though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Think the last one is Dream actually BUT THAT REMINDS ME of one from Persona 4 the Animation. There's a brief shot of the gang eating watermelon and the character Chie appears twice in it,.

Oh wow, that's hilarious to see, looks like Chie had a twin sister that she never knew she had. Laughing
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Even my favorite anime title had its share of problems on its first TV run. Just look at this:

Not to mention this little bit of unintentional hilarity.

walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember Aria having a ton of QUALITY issues.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite parts of the Ghost Stories English dub are when they were making fun of the wonky animation. There's one part where Leo's mouth looked strange and Greg Ayres started mumbling random stuff as if he couldn't speak. And I think Hilary Haag said, "Oh anime eyes," at one point when Satsuki's eyes went off-model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9