• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seiken Tsukai no World Break Light Novels Get Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I never even heard of this before but might try it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, another LN with a Marty Stu self-insert protag. Please don't tell me Mahouka made them a trend.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh look, another LN with a Marty Stu self-inster protag. Please donMt tell me Mahouka made them a trend.

I know it's a seinen/shounen LN because of all the cleavage and pantyshots, lol.

But what's a Marty Stu self-inster?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, was I drunk when posting that...

Anyway, "Marty Stu Self-Insert". Which MC-kun here clearly is.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh look, another LN with a Marty Stu self-insert protag. Please don't tell me Mahouka made them a trend.

Mahouka? Try Index, possibly even further back than that. There are plenty of LN series about "ordinary guys" that have this super-special ability or nature that makes a bunch of cute girls latch onto them.

The good thing about them is that they are incredibly easy to identify from their plot descriptions (confusing terminology - check, main guy is super-special in a way no one else is - check, one lead male and four lead females - check), so it's not a challenge to avoid them if you don't like them.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Mahouka? Try Index, possibly even further back than that. There are plenty of LN series about "ordinary guys" that have this super-special ability or nature that makes a bunch of cute girls latch onto them.

The good thing about them is that they are incredibly easy to identify from their plot descriptions (confusing terminology - check, main guy is super-special in a way no one else is - check, one lead male and four lead females - check), so it's not a challenge to avoid them if you don't like them.
In defense if Index, much later than the animes ever getspoiler[ his Imagine Breaker isnt anywhere near as useful as it is in the beginning.]

At the very least, I like the voice cast. The amount of fanservice on the images here on the other hand screams "DONT WATCH"
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

In defense if Index, much later than the animes ever getspoiler[ his Imagine Breaker isnt anywhere near as useful as it is in the beginning.]

At the very least, I like the voice cast. The amount of fanservice on the images here on the other hand screams "don't WATCH"

In a further defense of Index, Kamijou Touma's character actually serves as a deconstruction of said ordinary or generic protagonists (though you can be forgiven from thinking otherwise, given how he was portrayed in the Index anime). Also, his (limited) ability never actually drew people towards him; it was his actions that did.

As for the anime in the article; perishable as far as I am concerned. I dislike this sort of setup the most.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

They were popular way before that, I should think. Meh.

The plot sounds like it could be interesting, but looking at the cover of volume 2 all I can think is, "Those clothes are spraypainted on." Rolling Eyes
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The amount of fanservice on the images here on the other hand screams "don't WATCH"

Yep I had the same thought, I was interested, as the story sounded like it could have had promise, but I saw the bottom images.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
They were popular way before that, I should think. Meh.

You can find hundreds of manga and dozens of anime like that. Even ones I enjoy, like El Hazard, have "ordinary high school boy" protagonists.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling I could watch Infinite Stratos and get the same level of entertainment here...but hey, maybe this series actually has a story the production team feels is important to convey.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1