• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imōto Paradise! 2 Manga to Be Restricted as 'Unhealthy' in Tokyo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The scars of Shintaro Ishihara live on strongly today despite the fool being out of office. I can't imagine what will happen come 2020, but I have a bad feeling things will get worse for manga in the next half decade to six years.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The scars of Shintaro Ishihara live on strongly today despite the fool being out of office. I can't imagine what will happen come 2020, but I have a bad feeling things will get worse for manga in the next half decade to six years.

"Half decade to six years"? Was it too difficult to say 5-6 years?

Idk about that. It would be fallacious to say manga would disintegrate into nothing.

I doubt they would start saying manga is too sexual, violent, etc.

Even if people want to pull the censorship card out and start crying about this incest stuff being put in an adult section, life goes on. I could certainly live without some of these, as many of us could.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that they who control the Tokyo control the Japan, as if other cities and their inhabitants who aren't trying to cleanse Japan before the Olympics don't exist virtually don't exist.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first Imōto Paradise! game inspired an adult original video anime project.

Imouto Paradise 2 also has an adult OVA.

Anyways, one does not need to glorify incestuous acts, they're glorious enough on their own! Laughing

But yeah, from what I've seen this is one of those "show sex but not genitals to avoid it being hentai" manga. I have no problem with those being made adults only. They probably should have been so in the first place.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Even if people want to pull the censorship card out and start crying about this incest stuff being put in an adult section, life goes on. I could certainly live without some of these, as many of us could.

Wonder if you would have that same position if the work in question was something that contained violence? Rolling Eyes
Lucy_Nyuu

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit i'm mildly amused by this news.

I played and liked both Imouto Paradies eroge(yes, i'm such an animal...), and one could see this coming lightyears away.

The first one was kind of on the edge regarding the incest(after the patch), but the second blew it out of the water.

The protagonist aswell as all the heroines of Imopara 2 are the inbreed children of the protagonist and his sisters from the first game.
And they're working hard on the next inbreed generation...

It really got a LITTLE too much for me...

The first game actually was released without any (blood related) incest, but the day1 patch changed the script to make the imoutos blood-related to the protagonist, if i remember correctly. They really got bold the second time around...
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that other titles were already affected but not classified as "formally restricted" since after being pointed out that they will be affected by Bill 156, they simply stop printing.

These 6 titles were explicitly named by the ordinance committee:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-16/1st-manga-to-be-restricted-by-revised-tokyo-law-listed
Oku-sama wa Shōgakusei
Aki Sora
Lovers & Sharing
Koibito 8-gō
Hanamizawa Q-taro Jisenshū Hana-Hiyori
Midori no Kisetsu

(see also: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-03/akamatsu-j-comi-site-posts-adult-manga-restricted-by-tokyo-law)

It also should be noted what Dan mentioned from the article source:
Quote:
Claims work was not sexually stimulating but promoted incest.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It sucks that they who control the Tokyo control the Japan, as if other cities and their inhabitants who aren't trying to cleanse Japan before the Olympics don't exist virtually don't exist.

Dan Kanemitsu also discussed various efforts to "clean up" foreigner's image about Japan due to the Olympics, that relates to the arrests of the eromanga publishers (and resulting ridiculous censoring in the mags) on his blog

LaughingElbow wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

"Half decade to six years"? Was it too difficult to say 5-6 years?

Idk about that. It would be fallacious to say manga would disintegrate into nothing.

I doubt they would start saying manga is too sexual, violent, etc.

It has already started. See my examples above. See also the arrests of the H-manga publishers. And pressuring of various shops like convenient stores that carry manga.

Quote:

So you don't care for it. Good for you I guess. So why do you advocate interference by the government? Way too many people just cannot leave other people's voluntary activities alone.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

Wonder if you would have that same position if the work in question was something that contained violence? Rolling Eyes

If it's excessively detailed violence, a la Battle Royale and Hellsing? Then, yeah, I do think it should go under the Adult section.

Personally, though, I haven't played the game or read the manga, so I can't speak on the content of either. Though this does sound a little too close to Russia's decision to make Sims 4 rated 18+ for my tastes; not saying I care much for incest stories, but I could see "disrupting social order" being used to cover a wide swath of content.

EDIT: I read some of the blog linked to above, and they do mention that convenience stores that sell more sexually explicit material (less censoring of the genitals than as per usual) did shrink-wrap that stuff to prevent minors from reading it. Honestly, I had no idea any kind of preventative measures were in place, and aside from having a labeled Adults Only section (which probably isn't feasible), I can't see much more that needs to be done about it. And honestly, the article only mentions that the work will be restricted age-wise. What, exactly, is so bad about that?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Because it puts a burden on the publishers as they don't know ahead of time exactly which titles will be affected, and when it is, they have to trash all titles already printed and reprint and shrink wrap, if they choose to comply (otherwise it's throwing away without reprint).

Furthermore, who's to say what is and isn't appropriate? Remember, there is already a R18 classification for explicit sex/hentai. This puts things in that category for subject matter based NOT on sex. The committee even warned about modern manga that depicted the classic Genji Monogatari story accurately regarding incest. For one thing, teenagers who would buy this, are objectively and biologically speaking, young adults already. The second thing is that the government has no business censoring based on subjective values i.e. "disruptive of social order".
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of 'disruptive of social order", that can be anything even the depiction of corruption or political satire portrayed in a negative light can be considered this under the law (and could also be considered at state secret under the equally stupid State Secrets Law), you never know, Japan is ruled primarily by people who are missing a few oars on their boat and possibly a sail or two.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank god. They're not banning this amazing stuff. Now if they could work on removing the censorship ... that shit is just stupid.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
What, exactly, is so bad about that?

"These natural, and apparently adequate means all failing, what will convince them? This, and this only: cease to call [incest] wrong, and join them in calling it right."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
And honestly, the article only mentions that the work will be restricted age-wise. What, exactly, is so bad about that?

By restricting it to adults only, now the publisher loses prosepective customers outside the adult demographic. Also, businessmen usually read manga on their commute to work, and you can't be reading something with a big R18 on the cover when you're riding a crowded train.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
And honestly, the article only mentions that the work will be restricted age-wise. What, exactly, is so bad about that?

By restricting it to adults only, now the publisher loses prosepective customers outside the adult demographic. Also, businessmen usually read manga on their commute to work, and you can't be reading something with a big R18 on the cover when you're riding a crowded train.
This is bad how? That all sounds pretty good.

The vagueness and open endedness of the law is the problem.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The much larger impact about being branded "adult only" is that there are a ton of of stores that don't have adult only sections. So by not having the product available in a lot of locations that it otherwise would have been, there will be a large monetary impact that results in "adult only" items selling much less than they would have otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3