• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fresh News Reports

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
At times I've come across things that I thought were newsworthy and tried to email them to ANN, but never really got a response. I am not at all complaining, since I realize that people are probably extremely busy around these parts. However, I was curious about what I should do when I come across things like this.

For instance, I found this article on Bing News today:

http://japandailypress.com/manga-artists-gather-to-scribble-on-historic-tokyo-publishers-building-before-demolition-1433766/

I don't think that Anime News Network has covered it, but I could be mistaken. Should I post this kind of thing in some links thread or continue to email it in? Maybe I should just keep quiet and stop bugging everyone Embarassed
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi vashna,

Thanks for the message. We do look at every single e-mailed news tip sent to [email protected], but we do not always respond to those e-mails, as you suspected. If we do decide to post an article based on an e-mailed news tip, we are sure to thank the sender at the bottom of the article.

As for the link you sent us in your message, we are actually aware of it and do plan on posting an article about it soon. I apologize that you may have sent in e-mailed tips in the past that we didn't respond to, but be assured that we do read all of them and consider each one's relative newsworthiness.

If you come across news tips/links in the future that you think may be newsworthy for us and we haven't covered it yet, please feel free to continue e-mailing us; we are very, very grateful to those who send us tips that we otherwise may have missed. If we already wrote about it, usually we do try to respond to let the sender know we already covered that topic.

Someone is almost always monitoring that e-mail address I gave above, whereas we don't always get chances to check news tips via the forums, so we do prefer to get news tips via e-mail.

Thank you again for your message, and for the link.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
This is actually one of the most positive things that I have heard in a while. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I certainly did not mean to sound like I was complaining. I never actually did receive an email back any time that I wrote a news tip to the Anime News Network crew, though [email protected] has always been the email address that I have used to do so.

I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that my messages were not being read. For that I apologize. I am glad to hear that they are, so I will continue to forward links whenever I come across something interesting. Nevertheless, I am glad that you guys have already taken note of that story. I guess that I was a little late then, but I will let you know the next time that I find something.

In that case, would email still be the preferred method of reporting things? I assume from what you said that it would indeed.

Edit: I had to correct a typo.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Hi vashna,

Thanks for the message. We do look at every single e-mailed news tip sent to [email protected], but we do not always respond to those e-mails, as you suspected. If we do decide to post an article based on an e-mailed news tip, we are sure to thank the sender at the bottom of the article.
If you come across news tips/links in the future that you think may be newsworthy for us and we haven't covered it yet, please feel free to continue e-mailing us; we are very, very grateful to those who send us tips that we otherwise may have missed. If we already wrote about it, usually we do try to respond to let the sender know we already covered that topic.

Someone is almost always monitoring that e-mail address I gave above, whereas we don't always get chances to check news tips via the forums, so we do prefer to get news tips via e-mail.

Thank you again for your message, and for the link.

Would it be possible to have an auto-responder or respond to return-receipt requests on submitted news tips?

There have been a few cases recently where ANN is late to pick up a story, even though many times news gets picked up quickly, and getting an auto-acknowledgement when submitting news tips would be better than nothing.

PS, one case where ANN helped me (and I am particularly thankful!) was the story of the Macross full-sized model at Yokohama's Minatomirai subway station - I saw the article on my way over to Japan, and when I visited there, Macross Frontier writer Hiroyuki Yoshino was being interviewed:

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/79252.img
http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/79251.img

Last edited by omiya on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well my only beef is that when I do send some interesting news from Japan to ANN Newsroom email, they don't report on it at all. For example, I sent couple of articles to ANN:

Namie Amuro and TLC collaborating together

KAT-TUN becoming a 4-member group, Koki Tanaka contract with Johnny terminated

These never got reported on ANN despite being related to Japan.

And I was surprised when the announcement of Toei Channel is shutting down which mean Toku fans outside of Japan won't get chance to see it. ANN didn't make a follow up-article for this. I'm not the only one that is upset about lack of reporting, Dessa another ANN user expressed the same thing. At least let the people on ANN know about the Toei channel getting shut down instead of keeping them in the dark about it ANN. Mad

However there are time that a newsworthy articles/link I sent are picked up by ANN and reported like the one about Korea remaking Nodame Cantabile with IU being considered.

My question is: what are the criteria(s) for ANN to report on something newsworthy when a user submit the news to ANN? How come when I send a news article related to Japan that is newsworthy that ANN doesn't report on it? What does ANN look for when submitting news from Japan? Does an article that talk about Japan's music sales decline from Billboard Biz is newsworthy for ANN to report on (I want to note that I did send that article to ANN via email for them to make a report)?

Also I agreed with omiya on ANN is late to pick up a story. Like for example, the article about Himeka searches for new label, it was reported a week ago by Japanator. Why didn't ANN report on this like the day after Japanator reported on this, why wait a week to report on it? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
We get all of these, I can assure you. Some of the articles are even written but may not be posted immediately because more pressing news takes precedence. I can tell from your posts on the forums that you are a big fan of the Japanese/Korean music scene, however those kinds of articles are not usually the focus of what we post here and are not as large of priority compared to manga and anime-related news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I understand, but could you at least speed up the process, I understand about the pressing news takes more precedence. But there are days where ANN has slow news day and sometime those news from Japan like I sent to you (and along with other people sent to you) could make up for the slow news day on ANN.

Also you said that music scene from Japan are not priority despite many of it relate to anime. ANN does report them from time to time like this one for example. I'm amazed that BoA being a famous singer in Japan for doing songs in anime that ANN didn't even report on her upcoming Hollywood movie, Make your Move which is getting a bit of attention from Billboard. I mean come on ANN reported on her US debut but not her upcoming Hollywood film debut. At least let people on ANN know about it so they can watch the film to support her, don't keep them in the dark and a lot of people on ANN don't always go to K-pop websites like Kpopstarz, or Billboard to get their news.

Overall, I think ANN in case if they have a slow day, ANN could do more report on any non-anime/manga news as long as it relate to Japan (this is why we sent newsworth news from Japan to you guys for). Like maybe ANN should have done report on the tax hikes in Japan or put up an article about where 70% of Japanese shopper is cutting down on buying due to the tax hikes, or ANN could write an analysis article on the effect of tax hikes on anime DVDs in Japan.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
We cannot "speed up the process" because there is not enough staff to dedicate to it and requesting that is borderline insulting. We are all working very hard here. I understand you really want the things you care about posted on this site, but there simply is not enough manpower to put more emphasis on niche news items in an already niche news site. I understand you feel these items are of importance, but it simply is not possible.

I'd like to see one of these slow news days. How many things are posted a day is not reflective to how many things are being written a day.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As far as what gets noticed by ANN staff or anyone else, I suppose that there is an element of the extent of the publicity machines behind some anime and the people who create, act compose or sing for anime. They will get stories plastered across several news sites (and I've even seen that happen with artists I've followed occasionally).

Just focussing on the music of Japanese artists that I've seen live can be quite daunting (my August-September 2013 trip involved 7 concerts over 11 days with a total of 71 acts seen, with perhaps 2 of those acts not actually having any connection to anime/videogames).

When that is expanded to include a huge number of anime franchises, studios, voice actors and associated people, one would need a twitter feed like a fire-hose to notice everything that came up - not enough hours in the day to do that (if you think ANN's encyclopedia listing of voice actors is big, try the Japanese wikipedia).

I'll try to remember to send news tips ANN's way via [email protected] , especially if I notice something while in Japan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I understand, but could you at least speed up the process, I understand about the pressing news takes more precedence. But there are days where ANN has slow news day and sometime those news from Japan like I sent to you (and along with other people sent to you) could make up for the slow news day on ANN.

We simply don't have the manpower to "speed it up." On an average day we post 30+ news/interest/brief articles. Fact is, every day there are many articles that we want to write, but we simply don't have the resources to allow for it.

We really appreciate every news time we receive, and we wish we could post more of them. We're working on it, we're working on changes that will make the newsroom a bit more efficient (per person), we're working on selling more ads so that we can hire more journalists, and we're working on a new subscription system so that readers can contribute directly to increasing our news (and editorial, and development) resources.

Please bare with us, and understand that we're doing our best, and unfortunately improvement is a complicated process.

-t
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, sorry I didn't respond back, been quite busy. What you said, looks very promising. Smile
omiya

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We really appreciate every news time we receive, and we wish we could post more of them. We're working on it, we're working on changes that will make the newsroom a bit more efficient (per person), we're working on selling more ads so that we can hire more journalists, and we're working on a new subscription system so that readers can contribute directly to increasing our news (and editorial, and development) resources.

Please bare with us, and understand that we're doing our best, and unfortunately improvement is a complicated process.

-t

Besides an auto-responder for news tips, could you also acknowledge which members' news tips were used?

It's fun being the only westerner at anime-related events in Japan but I'm not likely to send news tips if there is absolutely no acknowledgement, not even from an auto-responder.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "auto responder" but all news articles that are the result of tips include a "Thanks to NAME for the news tip" at the bottom. We're very diligent about including these.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
I think he means that whenever a person emailed a story to ANN via email. He wants an email response saying thank you for the article and telling we will publish it. I think he means he want to see an email with this:

Thank you for sending the article/info. Our staff is working to publish this story ASAP, your name will be credited on the article as soon as we published it.

Thanks,

ANN Staff

I think that's what he mean by auto-responder. The auto-responder message will indicate the team at ANN received the message and sending the message to user that their info/artice of interest has been received and the ANN article for that will be published.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
I don't believe it's possible to set something like that up with our system, but I'd have to look. Either way, we can't guarantee will write every lead we recieve for reasons I've already stated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2