• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 19-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wow - I didn't realize Outbreak Company was still being released. But when only one other volume charts(and then only with a cutoff a hair over 1000), I suppose forgetting things you're not buying isn't too shocking. What I want to know is what button it managed to push to sell so atrociously.

Sakura Trick continues its low sales, but at least it's managed to consistently beat the cutoff. I wonder how many people feared(realized) it wouldn't do well ahead of time and ordered it on the hopes their support might matter a damn.

At least Chu2's doing pretty decently.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Wow - I didn't realize Outbreak Company was still being released. But when only one other volume charts(and then only with a cutoff a hair over 1000), I suppose forgetting things you're not buying isn't too shocking. What I want to know is what button it managed to push to sell so atrociously.

I don't know, but its low sales are pushing my buttons. Seriously, it was a great show. Part of me thinks it didn't sell well because harem anime, even though it's actually more a fantasy comedy than a harem (in fact, only two of the girls are truly considered love interests, spoiler[Elbia's werewolf period] notwithstanding).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
S127

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Haven't kept up these charts but nice to see Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ make a showing. I'll be picking these up eventually. Sentai appears not to be getting the license and didn't respond when I asked them on FB about it months back either.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

The "watamote" button {or "Genshiken" if you like}. This is the downside of making social outcasts your "audience" and using them as main characters. There's "wish fulfillment" and then there's "ha ha, you suck!". It's only funny because it's true. And since it's true, who do these people expect would be the audience?

I agree that Outbreak Company was a decent series, it's getting an upgraded US release but that could be it for the title unless the anime helps sell the Light Novel adaptation.

For comparison, shows like Haganai {otaku girls} and Chuunbiyu {otaku girls} could have had similar reactions but they're more character driven put downs than generic otaku put downs. Watamote is just painful that goes far beyond the confines of the character's situation.

You could argue the fantasy moe trappings should have overcome the "This loser is you!" main character, except his reaction was exactly the same as the intended audience; "Ohh, maids!" "Ohh, pointy eared half elves!" "Ohh, big breasted gun wielding action older woman" "Ohh, loli dwarfs!". You get the idea.

These guys need to walk a fine line between {not self, regardless of how "I'm one of you" these creators like to paint themselves} depreciation and outright insulting the direct audience.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
I suppose it'd be difficult to reach the good parts if you're too insulted by the initial otaku "omaigawdiminfantasyland!", but it doesn't ever really seem to put him down for it past maybe the beginning. Sure, it's not too positive on its portrayal of hikikomori, but it's not really negative either; would that really sting for enough of the target audience?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
A slow'ish week, but next week will be huge(anime sales just can't pace themselves).

Love domination with the re-release of all 7 volumes of S1(and then domination again in 3 weeks with the release of S2v1). Monogatari, IS S2, Kuroko No Basket S2, a Gundam re-release, LitBus Refrain and Non Non Biyori ontop of the V1 of Sidonia no Kishi, Puchimass and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Polycell wrote:
Wow - I didn't realize Outbreak Company was still being released. But when only one other volume charts(and then only with a cutoff a hair over 1000), I suppose forgetting things you're not buying isn't too shocking. What I want to know is what button it managed to push to sell so atrociously..

Every single volume has ranked so far though, even though it sold horribly.

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=27
eragon2890

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
I don't even...

All my friends are otaku, and almost all of them like me loved , and I mean loved, outbreak company. It had otaku-ish humor, sexy chicks, magic football matches (over 9000 lols), etc. D: Oh and dragons! Very Happy

How on Earth could any otaku not-love it...? And... insulting... ? I wouldn't understand how I should feel insulted by it if my life depended on it. Yes, it's self-deprecatory, but heh, most otaku love self-humor! At least most of the happy hyper-active neko-mimi are awesome convention-crowd types Anime hyper

It was my favourite show of last season, I'd love to love in that world, and it's only overshadowed by the now running No Game No Life, that shit is even more awesome, sugoi, etc. Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Huh - it doesn't show up on any of the lists ANN has.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
We've speculated in previous weeks whether Chuunibyou is selling well enough to get a third season. Any thoughts on this week's performance?

Would like to see Wake Up, Girls! get a second season, but that's a pretty low number for volume 3.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Huh - it doesn't show up on any of the lists ANN has.

ANN only uses the official source. The top 100 BD list is behind a paywall, but they still get posted on Japanese forums.

ANN isn't exactly the greatest source of sales news. Not that I can blame them for not using a non-official source. If anything, I would be surprised of they used the non-official sources.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
We've speculated in previous weeks whether Chuunibyou is selling well enough to get a third season. Any thoughts on this week's performance?

I pray to god that KyoAni just lets it go. Season 2 was terrible, I finally managed to drag myself through the rest of the episodes and it was just a struggle.

The sales are a real let down considering what season 1 sold, but I believe it's still enough to consider a third season. I've seen anime with lower sales get another season. Just hope they don't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Eh, a third season could work if they don't make Rikka x Yuuta the focus and put it on another couple instead; after all, they've got plenty to choose from(such as spoiler[Sanae x Shinka], spoiler[Dekomori x Nibutani] and spoiler[Twintails x Normalcon]). It'd also be perfect if spoiler[everybody freaks out when they see Rikka and Yuuta casually kiss, only for them to reveal that this was far from their first] kiss.

EDIT: Left some words out of the last spoiler, put them in.

Last edited by Polycell on Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dark-kyon

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Eh, a third season could work if they don't make Rikka x Yuuta the focus and put it on another couple instead; after all, they've got plenty to choose from(such as spoiler[Sanae x Shinka], spoiler[Dekomori x Nibutani] and spoiler[Twintails x Normalcon]). It'd also be perfect if spoiler[everybody freaks out when they see Rikka and Yuuta casually kiss, only for them that this was far from their first] kiss.

agreed x1000
rikka and yuuta got boring and cliched in second season is how nisekoi but know what in 12 ep you gonna get the rikka x yuuta happy end,but kyoani halfassed end.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

I don't know, but its low sales are pushing my buttons. Seriously, it was a great show. Part of me thinks it didn't sell well because harem anime, even though it's actually more a fantasy comedy than a harem (in fact, only two of the girls are truly considered love interests, spoiler[Elbia's werewolf period] notwithstanding).

No offense but have you seen the charts? IS and High School DxD are as harem as the get and both sold really well, hell IS was pulling 10K despite being pretty bad. Date A live was another successful work. STB was also pulling in well over 5K a vol, and most other harems have sold pretty well in the last few years, and pretty much always.

So I seriously doubt the harem aspect is hurting sales, if anything the harem aspect is the only thing keeping any sales at all.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Exactly. Havings lotsa sexy chickies in your animu tends to make it sell Very Happy

All of those numbers are gonna pail in comparison to the new sword art online season when it comes out tough ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2