• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero [Limited Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Allow me to take this chance to ask the reviewer, if he reads the forums a question.
How does one award grades for Overall (sub) and Overall (Dub)?
I agree with the rest of the grades, I just never understood those two.

And yes, Akatsuki is unlikable half the time.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish akatsuki went all the way, not like it needs to become hentai, just do what R rated movies do. Also I wish he would go that far with other girls too, not just the female MC.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long while since I walked away from a series early on, but this was one of them. I ended up stopping after four episodes since I found Akatsuki rather unlikable, and the show's efforts to justify what he was doing in various circumstances a bit too hard to look past. It ended up making me wonder why the writers would even include things like the peeing scene if they constantly felt like it needed to be justified somehow.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
A few other light-novel based harem titles with Yoko Hikasa, the Japanese Miu, as the female lead: High School DxD, Campione!, Infinite Stratos, Demon King Daimao, and The Devil Is a Part-Timer!

Monica Rial is her counterpart for Campione! and Infinite Stratos while Felecia Angelle is her counterpart for Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero and The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Also, Josh Grelle plays the lead guy in IS and TDIaPT!

Almost 6:30 in episode 4 (the dub), Akatsuki says over 9000! I have a feeling they wrote that line intentionally because Eric played Trunks, Vegeta's son.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's a very unusual series. Not only with the male lead being a total BOSS, but also in other ways too. It is both a sequel to the usual "modern kid goes to magic fantasy land" story, but at the same time it's also a prequel to the good old "band of superpowered teens must save the world" story. But wait, there's more: it also comes across as being a fanservicey side story.

All this makes the show come across as very odd and highly unfocused. Respectively speaking, the show 1): relies on us having knowledge of things we couldn't possibly be aware of, 2): is tasked with setting up the main plot which will presumably be told in a second season, and 3): is so laid back that it thinks it can afford to spend an entire episode at a lingerie shop. When I ask myself what Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero is actually about and what it wants to accomplish, I can only shrug my shoulders. I don't think the show itself even knows the answer to that.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Respectively speaking, the show 1): relies on us having knowledge of things we couldn't possibly be aware of
If you watch anime, you already knew everything you needed to know before you had even heard of this series. As you said, it's a sequel to a story we all already know.
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how the anime/light novels have sold in Japan? I'm curious as to whether there's a realistic hope for a second season.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Does anyone know how the anime/light novels have sold in Japan? I'm curious as to whether there's a realistic hope for a second season.

BD/DVD sales in Japan for the first volume were apparently just above 2400.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It is both a sequel to the usual "modern kid goes to magic fantasy land" story, but at the same time it's also a prequel to the good old "band of superpowered teens must save the world" story.

Sums it up nicely, for me.

And, I agree with the reviewer...this series just ends when things are getting interesting. Felt like 12 episodes of set up. May have been the only point of the series being made?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Allow me to take this chance to ask the reviewer, if he reads the forums a question.
How does one award grades for Overall (sub) and Overall (Dub)?
I agree with the rest of the grades, I just never understood those two.

I forget what was reviewed, but I recall someone (perhaps from staff) said that the Overall ratings are for the show itself when watched in either language. It's not explicitly based on the quality of the voice over.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, TheAncientOne (or anyone), but doesn't that sales number means it wasn't popular enough to warrant a second season?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, TheAncientOne (or anyone), but doesn't that sales number means it wasn't popular enough to warrant a second season?

Anime sales numbers are secondary to source material sales boost in determining if a show gets a second season. If there wasn't a big bump for the original light novels then yep, the anime's sales figures alone are far too low to justify a second season.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The reasons why I enjoyed this, Freezing, High School DxD, and other fan service/harem series is because of the female protagonist fan service and my potential indifference to the series' conclusion beyond wanting the lead guy/girl ending up together.
KIX9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The reasons why I enjoyed this, Freezing, High School DxD, and other fan service/harem series is because of the female protagonist fan service and my potential indifference to the series' conclusion beyond wanting the lead guy/girl ending up together.

Well said sir. The only reason you would watch anime like this is for the fan service and the warm feeling in your chest. For me, when I am watching a fan service I could care less about plot. Realistically, you can't usually fit fan service and an amazing plot full of drama and suspense into a 12 episode time frame. If you do, the scenes feel rushed and unfinished. As long as the plot isn't riddled with holes that cannot be filled in later I can understand a mundane story. Point is, Anime like this isn't meant to be stressful or full of twists and cryptic mysteries that keep you glued to your seat for hours. Its meant for you to simply enjoy without being at risk for a heart attack when ever stuff hits the fan, if you want a good plot go back to one piece or fairy tail, until then use anime like Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero as a break from the heavy stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The reasons that I listed also applies to FT. More specifically, it's the boobs of the lead female that I bother paying attention to the show (beyond the stated shipping side of me).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2