• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episodes English-Dubbed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Besides, thought people don't like it when they try for fake accents. Want the seiyuu trying fake accents? Tokyo seiyuu do it with Kansai dialect, and Osaka people aren't pleased.

You can't please anyone any of the time on the Internet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
They're skipping part 1 and 2....why is 3 so special..? Can't wait to hear the changes they make to the dub due to copyright issues and laugh at the poor alternative names they choose

...except that band names aren't copyrighted. Trademarked, yes, though from my cursory inspection of trademark law it doesn't seem like there'd be any legal justification for changing the names. I've been meaning to submit that to Hey Answerman, since it doesn't seem to make much sense.

And yeah, I'm a bit puzzled as to why they'd jump right to part 3. I know it's supposedly the most popular and all, but as far as I'm concerned, Joseph > all. I do feel like Richard Epcar will probably absolutely nail him though. Very Happy
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
Why not the first series this is just stupid .... i also can't even find the company the dubs it is it VIZ ?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
They're skipping part 1 and 2....why is 3 so special..? Can't wait to hear the changes they make to the dub due to copyright issues and laugh at the poor alternative names they choose

...except that band names aren't copyrighted. Trademarked, yes, though from my cursory inspection of trademark law it doesn't seem like there'd be any legal justification for changing the names.

If any show/movie tried using the name of a band without getting permission from the band (or their representatives), they'd be opening themselves to the possibility of legal action. It's the same with brand names. You can't just openly show a Coke bottle (for example) in a movie or show without permission.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

...except that band names aren't copyrighted. Trademarked, yes, though from my cursory inspection of trademark law it doesn't seem like there'd be any legal justification for changing the names.

If any show/movie tried using the name of a band without getting permission from the band (or their representatives), they'd be opening themselves to the possibility of legal action. It's the same with brand names. You can't just openly show a Coke bottle (for example) in a movie or show without permission.

Heh, like in anime, they show "Somy" instead of "Sony" or "WcDonald" instead of "McDonald." Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Well in that case, it's the actual logo design that represents the trademark. As far as I know, a movie producer doesn't have to get permission just to have a character order a Coke in a restaurant, so long as it isn't shown. But maybe I'm just incorrect in that assumption.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
You are. I can't tell you exactly what the violation is (i.e. trademark, copyright) I just know that at the script stage, a clearance company goes through the shooting draft with a fine tooth comb and tells you what you permissions you need. Uttering an actual brand name without permission - even if you aren't seeing the product - would require clearance.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
I don't know, but it DOES happen. My mother knew a woman who married a rich Englishman and moved to England, years later my mother found out that the lady had developed a British accent. Gillian Anderson is also British and American (grew up in my home state of Michigan I believe) and speaks with a British accent in the UK, and an American accent over here. It's harder for Europeans, as English is so totally different and difficult for foreigners to master.

enurtsol wrote:
Since the FIFA World Cup is going on right now, watch the game interviews of USA national team coach and former great German striker Jürgen Klinsmann who after retirement moved to California to raise a family.
Points duly noted. However, I seriously doubt the dub casting decision was made on a reflection of this fact. If anything, it was more of a matter of convenience for Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4