• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Inducted Into Science Fiction & Fantasy Hall of Fame

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Grats to him! Definitely well deserved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is a master of fantasy and does indeed belong. Wonder what he thinks of the honor? Wink

Mark Gosdin
BooktapC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad since I really admire his work and love pretty much all his films. The only thing wonder why it took this long for him to be recognized into the Science Fiction & Fantasy Hall of Fame.

I always figured if there were any awards or recognitions relating to Science Fiction and Fantasy Miyazaki would have already received them. His talent I feel is very undeniable.

At least he has been recognized for this particular award now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Better late than never, you'd think he'd get an honor like this sooner. He deserves to be in the Science Fiction & Fantasy Hall of Fame.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, he has already received two Seiun Awards, and one Nebula Award.

As for the SF & F Hall of Fame, up through 2004 they only inducted writers and editors (not script writers or editors), and from 2005 through 2012 they were Science Fiction but not Fantasy. So, pretty much, this is the second year that Miyazaki was eligible.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Miyazaki is a master of fantasy and does indeed belong. Wonder what he thinks of the honor? Wink

At this point, we can make a good guess at "Complaining", although what about, is anybody's guess.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if that means he will be coming to Seattle for the induction ceremony...or would that just be something more to complain about. The weather has been unpredictable here lately.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
WWAanimefan wrote:
I wonder if that means he will be coming to Seattle for the induction ceremony...or would that just be something more to complain about. The weather has been unpredictable here lately.

I wanna know when the induction ceremony is, and if it's open to the public!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Not exactly. My beef is that what the hell took them so damn long?

its good that he finally be acknowledged by them but that should have taken place years ago.

Also its the same for Mamoru Oshii & Hideo Kojima. They should have gotten an induction too. well it might be a little too soon for kojima, but oshii definitely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Nausicaa was a truly great work of science fiction, definitely making him deserving of this.

I kind of want to watch that film again now, thinking about it haha.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

its good that he finally be acknowledged by them but that should have taken place years ago.

Also its the same for Mamoru Oshii & Hideo Kojima. They should have gotten an induction too. well it might be a little too soon for kojima, but oshii definitely.

Uh, scroll up in the thread.

DavidShallcross wrote:
Well, he has already received two Seiun Awards, and one Nebula Award.

As for the SF & F Hall of Fame, up through 2004 they only inducted writers and editors (not script writers or editors), and from 2005 through 2012 they were Science Fiction but not Fantasy. So, pretty much, this is the second year that Miyazaki was eligible.

Considering that each "class" of inductees is only 5 people, not all the inductees are fantasy-based, and he's being inducted only the second year, that means he's considered in the higher-than-top 10 in the world.

BTW? Tolkien was just inducted last year. Actually, last year's inductees only had 3 fantasy-related people (Tolkien, Joanna Russ [fantasy author], and David Bowie [like him or not, he's acted in a LOT of classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy films]). Miyazaki is one of only 2 fantasy-related inductees this year (the other being Frank Frazetta), and, arguably, the only one who is a "pure" fantasy inductee, rather than a sci-fi/fantasy inductee.

Having actually been to the museum multiple times, fantasy is a very new thing there. In fact, the fantasy exhibit just opened last year, while the sci-fi exhibit (in various forms) has been around for all but 1 year of the last 10 (they changed the "science fiction museum" exhibit to the "icons of science fiction" exhibit).
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
WWAanimefan wrote:

I wanna know when the induction ceremony is, and if it's open to the public!

No word yet on the EMP website, and did not see any mention of it when I was there recently.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It should be noted that Miyazaki is the first Japanese inductee. Additionally, most of the candidates who are in the Hall are either deceased or retired from their respective industries.

However, perhaps the biggest unspoken requirement is that they had to, without any question, revolutionize and influence science fiction/fantasy as a whole and be acknowledged by the community because of their accomplishments. Miyazaki, above all other Japanese directors, fits this bill. The only other Japanese names that come to mind are Osamu Tezuka (who should have made it before Miyazaki) for basically inventing the idea that manga and anime could be masterpiece worthy, and Mamoru Oshii for influencing Western SF in ways that have yet to fully be realized (if it weren't for The Matrix, blockbuster SF as a whole would be a pipe dream). Maybe Studio GAINAX as a group, because they did a lot to bridge the gap between pop culture, Japanese culture, and science fiction. If not, then Anno deserves that title.

Throwing out names doesn't immediately guarantee that they were geniuses. Names like Verne, Wells, Tolkein, LeGuin, and Bradbury are immortal and untouchable. Hayao Miyazaki is absolutely on their level.

On a side note, where the hell are Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, and Richard Garfield? Not a huge tabletop/TCG fan, but credit where credit is due.

EDIT: I just read the bit about fantasy's recent allowance. If that's the case, the Hall better get on this.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
David Bowie [like him or not, he's acted in a LOT of classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy films])

"Like him or not"? Um, he's only one of the greatest songwriters and performers of the 20th century, and the reason he was likely inducted is because he pioneered sci-fi based lyricism within popular song, not because of his films (though The Man Who Fell to Earth is a classic).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1