• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Gamers Pick Their Favorite Video Game Companies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised SE is even that high, besides Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy Explorers, there isn't much they have or are making that's good anymore, it's mostly mobile crap.
pauladls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
more of the same mario pokemon zelda mario zelda pokemon mario zelda pokemon mario zelda pokemon Twisted Evil
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I'm surprised SE is even that high, besides Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy Explorers, there isn't much they have or are making that's good anymore, it's mostly mobile crap.

Cough "dragon quest" Cough

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I can make a list. I love that stuff. Razz

1. Thalamus - They didn't release a lot of games, but just about all the games they released on the Commodore 64 was pure gold. They were one of my favorite companies to buy games from, alongside...

2. System 3 - Which, amazingly, still exists, even if they're mostly looking through their back catalogue these days. But what a catalogue to pick from. They were the people behind many of my favorite games; the Last Ninja series, Myth, Flimbo's Quest

3. Game Arts - The people responsible for my four favorite RPGs from Japan: Lunar 1 and 2, and Grandia 1 and 2.

4. Activision - I don't have much of an opinion on them as a company now, but back in the 90's, they made some excellent Atari 2600 games that got great Commodore 64 ports, like H.E.R.O. and Beamrider.

5. The pileup: Valve, Blizzard, Gearbox, Bethesda, Notch... - Among the modern games I've played, I've had the most fun with, I have titles like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Minecraft, Portal, and Diablo 2 and 3. I kind of had to share these, because they're all gems from different developers, most of them relatively new, and I've played them to death. I'm STILL playing them.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo will always be #1 for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
A survey of 1,000.... yes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
FFXIV's pretty big fanbase says otherwise. And as a game overall, 13 and 13-2 honestly were not BAD. 2 was kinda annoying, and of course they didn't really compare to previous titles but as their own they were fun.

Even if I exclude FF in it's entirety, Nintendo and SE own about 90% of my favorite games. Some of my ALL TIME favorite games like BoF3 and BoF4 from Capcom don't make up for the crapfest they've been feeding me for the past decade. So depressing. Sega has been good to me publishing games like Shogun II, creating classics like the old Sonic games, Shenmue, ect ect...for not enough to really miss them in the end, though PSO2 is pretty awesome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not surprised by this poll, I did expect Nintendo and Square Enix to be ranked high on the poll because of iconic franchises and characters from these 2 companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Nintendo will always be #1 for me.

^^^ same!

and the Kingdom Hearts franchise is one of my favorites so I approve the company being on position 2
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I've always been a Nintendo fanboy so this news makes me quite happy!
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay with the top two, but I wish Atlus was higher. SMT and Etrian Odyssey are great games and Trauma Center looks like a lot of fun.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

The mobile games are quite well received and popular from what I have been told.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
For all the incessant bitching that gamers do, they still pick SE as #2. Hypocrites much?
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Spike Chunsoft and 5pb are excellent visual novel companies always delivering engaging stories.

Nintendo, Konami, and Level 5 have made some of the best games of all time.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Its only based on 73 people. A drop in the bucket when it comes to videogame fans. With opinions at that. SquareEnix
is on the chopping block after no news of FFXV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3