• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10000 men named George

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
OK - time for 10 000 men named George's super dooper favourite and non-favourite anime list! Razz
Everything I list is the Japanese version with subtitles since dubs make me break out in hives and muscle spasms within 30 seconds of watching them. Also - I haven't watched nearly as much anime as I would like so I probably wont have a full bottom 5...

TOP 5:

1. Gungrave
Its got the best story of any programme, movie, anime, whatever - ever! It has great animation too, but the story is really what makes it fantastic - well rounded, brilliantly told and deeply emotional too! (The ending is amazing)

2. Cowboy Bebop

What more can be said about Cowboy Bebop? Anime perfection IMO - its got a great story, great animation, great action, great music, great characters - great everything! I never get tired of watching this series.

3. Full Metal Panic

Awesome anime - I really liked the characters and humor of this series, Souske + Chidori = one of the best anime "couples" ever!

4. Samurai Champloo

A friend told me that this wasnt so good, but I bought it anyway (since its made by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop) and thought it was fantastic. I really liked the hip hop/ samurai spin and the humor is great.

5. Trigun

Four words: Laugh Out Loud Funny Razz

BOTTOM 5 (yeah, yeah - its only 2)

1-4. Green Green OVA

Terrible! An insult to creativity and the practice of making anime in general. This doesn't even be deserved to be called anime. The animation is terrible, the "humor" is pathetic and the drivel calling itself a story is, well..drivel.

5. Green Green

This whole series is an extended boob joke. Relies on sexual innuendo alone - which gets tired fast. Would be the worst anime I've seen if it wasnt for the OVA.
Manganime00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Oooo my first post. OKay I'm not sure I've watched enough to have a top ten and a bottom five, but I'll do my best.

1. Ouran High School Host Club
Talk about a relief, when I first started anime I thought that everything was for the guys, but when I saw this I was like 'WOOOOOOO'. I LOVE each and everyone of those guys. Especially Tamaki and Kaoru.
This anime is really funny. They have the overly used but still laughable banana peel slip. They have a girl confused about her gender. And one weird/hott king who thinks he's her dad. O.o I admit that part confused me, but otherwise I LOVED it.

2. Juuni Kokki/ The Twelve Kingdoms
I was pleasantly surprised with this one, it was a political fantasy, and I hate politics lol. It doesn't go right out and say a bunch of stuff about politics, it kind of just slips it in. I also LOVE how the main character progressed through the story, growing and learning.

3. Chobits
Chobits is a greatly funny show. I especially loved the 'panties' episode. Anime hyper. I also greatly admired how they portrayed the persocons. I love how they have this ' is it right or is it wrong to love persocons' message in it. It really gives you a different outlook on robots.

4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
When I first watched this I was hopelessly confused. I was wondering why the heck there was this bunny girl. Then I went on to watch more of it and fell in love with this series. It put life in perspective. It makes everything seem different, and I just love how they slipped humor in there.

5. Love Hina
One of the firsts animes (after Sailor Moon) that I've ever watched. This show made me realize what anime is. I love it for it's humor, it's little flash back things. It's TURTLES. Razz I have never seen so many turtles in one show!!! lol

6.Sailor Moon
This one started it all for me. I clung on the longest to this show, even when it was cancelled. I know it was seriously dragged out in the ending but still I loved it..

7. Full Moon wo Sagashite
Okay I'll admit that after Love Hina and Sailor Moon I purposely went looking for something with the word moon in it's title. What can I say I'm obsessed.
I loved this show because it puts in perspective how much a person will go through just for love or music!

8. Lamune
When I first started watching this I was thinking that it was just a summer fling, but then I realized that it was sooooo much more. It also made me super thirsty for lemonaid lol. I loved their little moving on from childhood friends to something even more. I'll admit , though, that the ending threw me off. I mean first Nanami's in the hospital, then Kenjii. AND THEY DIDN"T KISSSS. :'(

9. Onegai Sensei/ Onegai Twins
These ones wow-ed me. (the first more than the second.) I was so shocked to find out that I would love a sci-fi. I was very in awe of the way things went, and how they ended up. They did kiss in this one!!!! Smile

10. (errrr must choose one. . .) Azumanga Daioh
Full out laughter.
Just one episode and I'm rolling on the floor. I love these characters, their humor, their weirdness, EVERTHING. Sure I was disappointed at the lack of romance, but Oh my gosh.

Ones worth mentioning: Doki doki school hours, Negima, Fruits Basket, Zero no Tsukaima, and DIGIMON lol just kidding bout that last one.

My two worst
1. Girls Bravo
The first season, I was slightly interested in. But there was SO much pervertedness. I couldn't take it. Then I got into the second season and couldn't even watch more than 3 episodes. It was SO gross.

2. DBZ
Hated it. I just full plain out hated it from the beginning. I have no reason (besides it lack of entertainment) it's just SO bad./

Hm looks like I did have enough for the top ten. Not the bottom five. Ah well.
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
You'd probably enjoy Ah! My Goddess as well, if you havnt seen that, i used to watch sailor moon so i can understand why that would be highly rated, although i stopped watching when the story became redundant, i have the first episode of twelve kingdoms, but havn't had a chance to watch that one though.... Already exceeded this months bandwidth lolol...

I saw a few episodes of chobits one, hilarious anime, even for the guys.

I own the love hina season 1 set, i must say though that i was rather dispointed with how it ended...and the story did get kind of stale as they used the same jokes over an over etc, but i agree that it is a goood anime.

Onegai Sensei/ Onegai Twins i saw the first few episodes in this in english, it had heaps of promise, i cant say that i will see the series, but i remember at the time thinking would be a good anime to continue... sadly my vid store stopped stocking it.

Azumanga Daioh << omg i cant stand this show, i dont know why, everywhere i look people say its really good, i borrowed the first two DVDs from my freind, and i just couldnt sit through the first few episodes, i don't know why it seemed like it was built on fan service i dont know, like i got the jokes an all i just didn't find them that funny... and the animation of the show seemed really idk pink.. but from what others have said i can see why it would be on peoples top lists, myself however couldnt stand it.
Manganime00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Everyone has their own sense of humor.
You have to see the specials and the second season of Love Hina to TRULY appreciate it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Manganime00 wrote:
2. DBZ
Hated it. I just full plain out hated it from the beginning. I have no reason (besides it lack of entertainment) it's just SO bad./

You sure as hell better have a reason. I will not tolerate this sort of lazy dodging of the forum's rules.

Manganime00 wrote:
Everyone has their own sense of humor.
You have to see the specials and the second season of Love Hina to TRULY appreciate it.

Um, there was only one twenty-five episode season. Unless you're trying to get technical and divide it up between Japan's thirteen-week programming schedules, it was only one long season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
I know there was the 25 episodes, christmass special which still continued the first story arc and then love hina again, which was a 3 episode series, so if you count that as season 2 then i can see where she is comming from..

And yes everyone has their own sense of humor, i used to enjoy the type of shows your listing, but recently they put me off... Not sure why, maybe im getting tired of the same old story being spat out again an again in different settings (not that im sayin their not good)

And dbz why does it suck? Maybe its just not your cup of tea? Which is what im guessing since your top 10 has preety much the same theme for each show, and a dominatly fighting show would of been just not what you were into?
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I tried getbackers, honestly though i didn't care much for it. The second main char the thunder guy, seemed like a total wimp, and the whole fight sceens seemed cliche', I think i saw up to the episodes involving some violine, and after that i just had to stop, couldn't stand any more

Also some of the fillers in naruto weren't bad, but they did screw up alot the suprises that were comming in the second story arc... The manga was like wow i so did not know they could do that... But now there wont be a big shock when certain moves happen etc.

Also whats the deal in the fillers with that racing episodesspoiler[, where the guy was super fast, and they were like wow so fast... DUMBASSES LEE IS SOOOO MUCH FASTER REMEMBER?]
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Well some of the fillers in naruto were alright... like the one where spoiler[naruto becomes friends with some old guy at the ramen place and then he becomes like a terrorist setting bombs around konoha,] that arc was pretty good but the whole year of filler just kind of ruined naruto for me. I mean I've seen Naruto shipuden and it just isnt all that interesting to me anymore, IMO the show just doesnt have that fire that it had before and the quality of the show to me just seems to have dropped latley.

Last edited by Sogekingu on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Well some of the fillers in naruto were alright... like the one where naruto becomes friends with some old guy at the ramen place and then he becomes like a terrorist setting bombs around konoha],

Use spoiler tags. Also i found that arc redicules, how could no one notice? They have an entire byukagen(SP?) clan that uses their skills all the time?? That was just absurd to think no one would ever notice.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sogekingu wrote:
...I really don't feel like...

Too bad. You're not above the rules, and if you don't feel like making a proper post, then just don't post at all. I've deleted your post because it was unacceptable, and if you feel like not being lazy and making a complete post, feel free to do so. If not, don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Sogekingu wrote:
...I really don't feel like...

Too bad. You're not above the rules, and if you don't feel like making a proper post, then just don't post at all. I've deleted your post because it was unacceptable, and if you feel like not being lazy and making a complete post, feel free to do so. If not, don't.

Well I was just going by what the posts I saw on the first page... I mean the very first post even had some animes listed without any reason as to why it was one of their favorites but whatever I'll just redo my list I guess.

1. One Piece: This show is just simply AWSOME with alot of action and alot of heart, that and the fact that I just love pirates. Very Happy and I know that most people would be put off from this show because the animation is very different from other shows and also from the horrible just HORRIBLE dub that 4shame/4crap entertainment (4kids) did to it.
2. Death Note: never really thought that a show would have a semi-evil guy as thier main character but regardless the show is just awsome to see how light tries to survive without being caught on what he does.
3. Yu Yu Hakusho: very cool show with Yusuke Urameshi as a spirit detective beating the crap out of demons and whatnot.
4. Dragonball: I gotta say I love this show alot more than DBZ because in dbz they always say that they got stronger but you dont see much difference, I mean wow a huge blast of energy when have we not seen that? but in DB the fights just seem alot better and its alot funnier.
5. Gungrave: Gotta love this Mafia/yakuza kind of show. Lots of action and guns. also its made by the same guys that made trigun. Very Happy
6. Samurai Champloo: Hip-hop/rap mixed with samurais and nonstop fighting. Gotta love how Mugen just never gives a crap about anything.
7. Naruto: Gotta love all that ninja action with chakras and demon foxes and whatnot but I gotta say the fillerz really did ruin the series for me Mad
8. FLCL: This shwo is just crazy and hilarious, most of the time I watched this show I didn't really know what was going on but it was awsome all the same.
9. IGPX: I really wish that they made a 3rd season for this. anyways you gotta love how they race and fight robots that are kinda like gundams but you know without out all the light sabers and guns.
10. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: again like FLCL this show is just as crazy and funny.
And the only anime that I really hate has to be Ikki Tousen This show was just horrible like literally, I would rather watch paint dry on a wall. aside from having hot girls thats all it has going for it, the story sucks and I cant even understand why they botherd to make a second season of this but oh well.
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[2. Death Note: never really thought that a show would have a semi-evil guy as thier main character but regardless the show is just awsome to see how light tries to survive without being caught on what he does. ]

Nothin really about this post mainly etc. But is kira actually evil? I can see why people view him as evil, but on the other hand i can see how people would view him as rightious, i would'nt call him evil, more then deliriously rightious.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Batajitsu, when you use the spoiler tags, it really helps if you put the name of what is being spoiled (and an episode number when applicable) outside of the spoiler tags. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose.
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Batajitsu wrote:
spoiler[2. Death Note: never really thought that a show would have a semi-evil guy as thier main character but regardless the show is just awsome to see how light tries to survive without being caught on what he does. ]

Nothin really about this post mainly etc. But is kira actually evil? I can see why people view him as evil, but on the other hand i can see how people would view him as rightious, i would'nt call him evil, more then deliriously rightious.

Well light did kill alot of criminals which did reduce crimes and all that but spoiler[ He also killed ray penbar(FBI guy) and got him to kill his whole team. He also killed L and alot more people just so they wouldnt find out that he was actually kira.]
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok let me ask you this. spoiler[The govenment kills people who challenge their soventy, the FBI etc were going againt kira who was bringing rightiousness into the world by stopping crime etc, if you look at it form this point of view, then the FBI etc were evil poeple trying to stop Kira from saving the world. (That's how he saw it i believe)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 122