• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Voices Support for Demilitarizing Okinawa

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pineapplenya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Why are his eyebrows still dark when the rest of his hair has turned white?
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Pineapplenya wrote:
Why are his eyebrows still dark when the rest of his hair has turned white?

Actually, look closer, you can still see tufts of grey.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
As expected from a long-time anti-militarist.

I'd rather say demilitarizing Okinawa is essential for leaving a huge opening for China to make dubiously historical claims on all or part of the Ryukyus.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to voice support for keeping politics out of anime.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Getting Abe out of office will ensure peace in Eastern Asia, the man is a tyrant who wants war with China and Korea knowing all too well Japan will be curbstomped if he does, and makes unsuspecting foreigners pay his stupid 8% consumption tax. That tax needs to go ASAP, it's killing the Japanese economy and he wants to raise it even more next year, he needs some sense slapped into him.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Having visited Okinawa and having relatives who lived there for three years... I'm on team Miyazaki, though perhaps for different reasons. Our military presence on Okinawa is extremely extensive, controlling large amounts of land, and the disparity in living conditions on and off base is pretty extreme (Okinawa is one of the poorest prefectures in Japan), making the bases an understandably hated presence. And Futenma, a base that sees heavy air-traffic and is located right next to a densely populated residential area, is the rightly main target of a lot of that hatred. And while there are arguments that the economy would be seriously damaged by losing the bases (many base-workers are local), there are other arguments that simply regaining at least some of the land that is currently being used for the benefit of America rather than Okinawa would provide a net gain in the long run. Whether the bases are absolutely necessary for security where they currently are, or could be relocated to other areas, or only serve as an aggravating tension in the area, is another debate (I tend to fall into the "relocation" camp).

Meanwhile, the Japanese government mostly uses assurances that it will relocate/remove bases to win elections and then goes back to ignoring the prefecture once they're one. Okinawa needs any support that it can get, and I'm glad that Miyazaki is on their side, and I hope that maybe this will get American fans to start looking into this issue more closely.

Though looking at comments from this forum so far, that might be a faint hope. Confused
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to get personal and say "Don't!". I have a lot of buddies who work up their and the air force's been downsizing enough as it is.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The American presense in Okinawa is not only important for protecting Japan militarily, we are *obligated* to maintain that presence in order to protect Japan. After WWII *we* created their constitution, and *we* told them that they could no longer maintain a military (however much the "Self-defense" Force skirts this), which means we accepted that burden and have carried it ever since. I don't regret us doing so one bit.

Okinawa was conquored a long time ago by the Japanese, IIRC, and while it is considered part of Japan, it's not "as Japanese" as the home islands, as far as I understand it. So expecting things to improve there if the US pulls or even reduces its military bases (and the foreign money they bring to the region) is very unlikely to happen, IMO. This is just political posturing by people who are using the resentment of barbarians on Japanese soil to garner support.

Eventually China is going to come knocking, and when they do, Japan is going to need us there, and I hope that if and when that day comes, we *will* be there, doing what MacArthur intended for us to do.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
My vote is for relocating ALL of the bases in Okinawa to the Senkaku islands, that way both the left AND the right will get what they want Very Happy
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Getting Abe out of office will ensure peace in Eastern Asia, the man is a tyrant who wants war with China and Korea knowing all too well Japan will be curbstomped if he does, and makes unsuspecting foreigners pay his stupid 8% consumption tax. That tax needs to go ASAP, it's killing the Japanese economy and he wants to raise it even more next year, he needs some sense slapped into him.

Not to defend him, but none of their many prime ministers in the last decade have done any better so getting him out of office alone isnt enough. They need a really good replacement
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't blame him for wanting this. It's understandable. We'd all be really happy if the only thing we had to worry about was the quality of the latest hit Anime.

The tricky part is getting to where there isn't a need for a military presence - an unlikely, if not outright impossible, situation. It isn't helped by the current crop of less than stellar politicians, which neither the US or Japan seem to have any really good ones.

Mark Gosdin
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Not to defend him, but none of their many prime ministers in the last decade have done any better so getting him out of office alone isnt enough. They need a really good replacement

A good replacement has to be younger than 60 (preferably between 30-40), elder rule is also the reason for the string of crappy PMs in Japan.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I really should stop being surprised at the uniformity of the japanese people. Liberals and conservatives both want the expulsion of the foreign barbarian devils from their sacred homogenous land, but are taking slightly different paths to try and make it happen. Xenophobia and racial exceptionalism makes for some strange bedfellows.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't think we'd be getting into the politics of it--
I was just used to Miyazaki's latest non-anime complaints about the Country Today getting the usual discussion of "Will someone give Gramps his medication, he's been getting cranky since he retired!"

(Annnd, anti-Okinawa statements two or three days after his Big Trip to America for the Oscars he didn't want to pick up...Excuse me while I die of shock. Rolling Eyes )
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Well, I didn't think we'd be getting into the politics of it--
I was just used to Miyazaki's latest non-anime complaints about the Country Today getting the usual discussion of "Will someone give Gramps his medication, he's been getting cranky since he retired!"

For old times' sake: Go back to bed, Grandpa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4