• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most In Demand English Voice Actresses of 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Excluding Caitlynn and Allison, the other 6 have played a number of major roles in Funi dubs.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
For a while there, I kept commenting on casting announcement stories with references to the fanciful "Brittney Karbowski Full Employment Act of 2008". The sense that she's in everything isn't far from the truth.

Interesting to think she co-starred with #1 Emily Neves on Angel Beats!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Brittney Karbowski is such a disgrace with no respect for the works she plays in. Nearly 10 years in the industry and she still pronounces names like Misaka wrong. How is that even possible in her career? Funimation lets it happen though of course so I have to blame them too. Just one of example of her not-so-great work. Only 3 of these are good actors.

Quote:
spirit medium Minori
Is this the official dub title for her class? What was wrong with Shrine Maiden or priestess?

Last edited by Kougeru on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Luxray. Not only it looks awesome (ELECTRIC LION!), it's also super useful when playing DPPt.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Brittney Karbowski is such a disgrace with no respect for the works she plays in. Nearly 10 years in the industry and she still pronounces names like Misaka wrong. How is that even possible in her career? Funimation lets it happen though of course so I have to blame them too. Just one of example of her not-so-great work. Only 3 of these are good actors.

The exact same thing can be said to veteran Japanese VA who mispronounce names/words wrong. Personally, I think she was perfect as Ayu in Kanon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Heh, so largest portion didn't buy anything. Laughing
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Would Espeon really be considered a cat? Its prior evolution is a fox.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Are Monica Rial and Brittney Karbowski tied for second place, or is that a typo and Monica Rial supposed to be 3rd?

Also, no Raikou? Then again, we're never made too clear on what Entei, Suicune, and Raikou are, just vaguely mammalian quadrupeds. I voted for Espurr--didn't really think much of this Pokémon until X and Y's post-game quest with Looker and that homeless girl and her Espurr.

I knew it almost as soon as I read the title that it'd be anime-specific, but the title of this article makes no indication otherwise. The whole time, I was thinking about how Tara Strong has been in perhaps half of all western animation over the past 20 years, or at least it feels that way.

Lastly, I think I should mention that Stephanie Sheh voiced Zeena in 2013's Sonic Lost World, an otherwise not-that-notable role except that she was cast severely against type as a whiny but sassy valley girl.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the only VAs on here that I don't particularly care are French and Mosier. Admittedly, I haven't heard much of either, but I haven't really liked what I've heard so far. Then again, they're Sentai VAs. Laughing

Monica Rial is one of the greatest female VAs in the past 15 years, and I'm not just talking about NA VAs. She surpasses a lot of the female seiyuu in Japan as well, from what I can tell at least; I'm not Japanese so I can't really judge their acting really well (though I do have a few favorites, like Sayaka Ohara, Fuyuka Oura, and Natsuko Kuwatani) Rial's range is much better than you'd expect, if her performance as Mariya Shidou is any indication (seriously, the two voices she uses makes it almost impossible to tell it's the same person) and her acting skills are top notch. Her Misuzu (from Air) damn near brought me to tears, and I didn't even like the show. I can gush about Rial all day, honestly.

Although, I feel she should be used a bit less. I doubt I'll ever be sick of her, but still, girl deserves a breather. Laughing

Luci Christian has been similarly amazing before, but unlike Rial hasn't been in anything that I've watched recently. Neves and Karbowski are hit-or-miss. Most of the time they're completely unmemorable, but sometimes they knock it out of the park, most notably as Mikoto Misaka (from the Raildex franchise) and Ninth (from Mirai Nikki).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, so largest portion didn't buy anything. Laughing

Funny thing is that a few days after I clicked my choice on the poll, I bought the second box set of Revolutionary Girl Utena at B&N. XP

Among this list, Luci, Monica and of course Stephanie are among my favorite ladies of English voice acting.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Well this was a very interesting list I've seen. Thanks for giving English VAs some spotlight, I hope this doesn't turn into a hate dub soapbox, I don't want to see troll coming over and leaving nasty messages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I can't judge Karbowski too harshly for that, since the ADR Directors have a say in everything. If the director says to pronounce a name a certain way, the VAs have to say it in that way, even if the VAs know how it's actually supposed to be pronounced. If you noticed, Karbowski wasn't the only one mispronouncing names in the Index/Railgun dub. Everyone else was too. It can get pretty infuriating. Confused

Then again, I personally never got hung up over mispronunciations in dubs, unless it's really bad. Like how they pronounced Nagisa's name in the Clannad dub. That still makes me cringe. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Then again, I personally never got hung up over mispronunciations in dubs, unless it's really bad. Like how they pronounced Nagisa's name in the Clannad dub. That still makes me cringe. Laughing

Most people don't care how their own names are mispronounced when they go abroad.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Let us give Sentai a round of applause because thanks to their churning of rushed and mostly mediocre dubs, the VA's on this list have been getting a lot more work.

Kougeru wrote:
Nearly 10 years in the industry and she still pronounces names like Misaka wrong. How is that even possible in her career? Funimation lets it happen though of course so I have to blame them too.

I blame Sentai more for Karbowski's lackluster performances. I have found her performances in Funimaton dubs to be way better, and occasionally great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Most people don't care how their own names are mispronounced when they go abroad.

When you're being paid, it wouldn't hurt to try and work on your pronunciation. I seriously hope that Hope and Zac aren't watching the Clannad dub for their upcoming podcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5