• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Masayuki Yoshihara, director of The Eccentric Family

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this interview! It was very interesting. I had forgotten this was coming out on Blu Ray, so I rushed right over to Right Stuf and ordered it. It sounds like the director really cared about The Eccentric Family and put a lot of effort into it, and it shows.

It would be wonderful if this show sold well and we could get physical copies of The Tatami Galaxy and Kyousogiga. I only bring up Kyousogiga because it is a similarly themed show to The Eccentric Family. I love them both very much. I know it isn't likely though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This series is very dear to my heart, when I was in Kyoto I often visited the Kyoto Anime Store because it was the only place where I could find merchandise for it. It's a complete shame that NISA has this ridiculous policy:

Quote:
This product is for sale and use on playback units only within the United States and Canada. It is not intended to function in any other region.

because I would've dished out those 51 bucks even if the dollar is madly expensive right now. This is a show I really wanted to own and I'm really sad I won't be able to.
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What I wouldn't give for a translation of the book.

It is great to be able to hear more about one of the best shows of 2013, especially because there is so much to say about it.
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
What I wouldn't give for a translation of the book.

Same. The show is absolutely wonderful, though, and I liked the interview.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This series is very dear to my heart, when I was in Kyoto I often visited the Kyoto Anime Store because it was the only place where I could find merchandise for it. It's a complete shame that NISA has this ridiculous policy:

Quote:
This product is for sale and use on playback units only within the United States and Canada. It is not intended to function in any other region.

because I would've dished out those 51 bucks even if the dollar is madly expensive right now. This is a show I really wanted to own and I'm really sad I won't be able to.

It's not too difficult to work around region restrictions. Besides, you make it sound as though NIS America invented them.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Quote:

Weird. On rightstuf.com's listing (currently priced at $47.99), the only restriction mentioned is that it can't be shipped to Japan. I ordered NISA's Blu-ray releases of Cardcaptor Sakura and Toradora! from Right Stuf and didn't have any problem with playing them on my locally-sourced Region A Blu-ray player. I generally don't buy directly from U.S. anime publishers since they may not offer shipping beyond the U.S. and Canada.

I'm guessing you want the bonus item you get when ordering direct from NISA?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for my copy to ship. I don't even have a BR a Player yet (working on that and setting up my new TV) but this was a must have for me.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this interview. It was interesting to read the director's take on the novel.

I am in Kyoto now, and am definitely watching the DVDs which should be waiting for me when I get home. I was walking along the Kamogawa this evening and I could practically smell the tanuki hotpot.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Weird. On rightstuf.com's listing (currently priced at $47.99), the only restriction mentioned is that it can't be shipped to Japan. I ordered NISA's Blu-ray releases of Cardcaptor Sakura and Toradora! from Right Stuf and didn't have any problem with playing them on my locally-sourced Region A Blu-ray player. I generally don't buy directly from U.S. anime publishers since they may not offer shipping beyond the U.S. and Canada.

I'm guessing you want the bonus item you get when ordering direct from NISA?

Not particularly -the bonus is nice and everything, but not really a dealbreaker for me-, I just take it personally when the manufacturers basically tell me "We are not making this product for you"
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, thank you! There should be more anime like Uchouten Kazoku! I'm especially impressed that he lived in Kyoto for a months. (Reminds me of Kyousougiga, to be honest.)
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
His answer about Benten is something that I also thought as well. I'm still surprised that I didn't hate her guts after everything was said and done.

I'm so happy that this was licensed in the US. Now if someone would license my other favorite series of 2013... *coughKyousougigacough*
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the interview. Good questions asked, and surprisingly forthcoming answers.

IMO, --This show was extremely well done. The art, the storytelling, everything was completely satisfying for me. Definitely buying the bluray.

edited to fix typo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1