• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 9-15 [2015-08-21]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Titans has fallen!!!

MonMusu domination.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
110 weeks, damn.

Can't get the appeal of Moster Musune, it's torture to me. I don't get how it always gets the top spot when a new volume comes out.
god45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
110 weeks, damn.

Can't get the appeal of Moster Musune, it's torture to me. I don't get how it always gets the top spot when a new volume comes out.
I like to think that new York times is not that important when it comes to novels or manga dose not effect japan at all unlike Japanese rankings that are
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
god45 wrote:
I like to think that new York times is not that important when it comes to novels or manga dose not effect japan at all unlike Japanese rankings that are

Monster Musume is probably one of the rare cases where high popularity in the west has been taken notice of in Japan. The creator is definitely aware of how well the series has sold in the US and has mentioned it in interviews. For a series like Naruto, the relatively high sales in the west don't mean much but for more niche titles like Monster Musume it can make a bigger impact.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
god45 wrote:

While it isn't, it was mentioned in one of the chapters that Monster Musume was a best seller according to the New York Times, so either the author or editor cares a bit. Also, interestingly enough, there were a lot of foreigner fans in Comiket that clearly came for Monmusu.

Anyways, while it's not my favorite manga by a longshot, it's a fun read, and I'm amused at how well it's doing in the west.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I've got Monster Musume 7 ordered so it should be coming in soon. I got 1-6 in a mass blind buy and it's pretty hilarious, filled with background antics that demand you reread the entire series built around some some pretty unique characters in stock situations.

Wait, wait, I'm only supposed to read for its sheer volume of nudity and sexual situations. It wasn't supposed to be good. Or maybe it didn't have to be good.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've got Monster Musume 7 ordered so it should be coming in soon. I got 1-6 in a mass blind buy and it's pretty hilarious, filled with background antics that demand you reread the entire series built around some some pretty unique characters in stock situations.

Wait, wait, I'm only supposed to read for its sheer volume of nudity and sexual situations. It wasn't supposed to be good. Or maybe it didn't have to be good.

My thoughts are the same. Gave the series a try after wondering what the fuss was about,and ended up loving it. The fanservice doesn't come as a crutch(I don't for fanservice in general). The monster gimmick makes the usual harem scenarios very entertaining(such a generic going to the gym chapter). Like most people I am surprised by how how big of seller it is.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
THE TITANS HAVE FALLEN! Laughing Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
god45 wrote:

Monster Musume is probably one of the rare cases where high popularity in the west has been taken notice of in Japan. The creator is definitely aware of how well the series has sold in the US and has mentioned it in interviews. For a series like Naruto, the relatively high sales in the west don't mean much but for more niche titles like Monster Musume it can make a bigger impact.

It's like Sekirei was for FUNi:

Futago_101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I believe there was a week or two it wasn't on the list months ago and then it came back.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
and it will rise again
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Futago_101 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I believe there was a week or two it wasn't on the list months ago and then it came back.

Yep, it dropped off once before. Prior to that, it had spent just over a year in the top 10.

I think the last time it dropped off was in January, and had been back in the top 10 since February of this year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
If Titan had stayed on for consecutive weeks, it would have been 120+.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If Titan had stayed on for consecutive weeks, it would have been 120+.
What's so important about 120+?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
The fact that a manga probably hasn't stayed in the NYT top 10 for 120+ consecutive weeks?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2