• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Mega Man Legacy Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
...and don't forget to have a listen to Omoide wa Okkusenman! by JAM Project and read the story of its Mega Man 2 origins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omoide_wa_Okkusenman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3yIZ3_cxk
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've long thought that it was the introduction of the powered up Mega Buster that ended up unfortunately sapping a lot from the system. It really ended up making the various Robot Masters' weapons a lot less useful; in the games from 4 on, there's rarely any reason to use anything other than the Mega Buster. So even though the review points it out as an improvement, it also caused the noted drawback of rendering the other weapons pointless.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of sad there's enough Inafune quotes to bring up two of them in an article about games he either had mostly nothing to do with or just did level planning on while the actual creator of Mega Man is completely MIA.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
I would say, without using the Charge Shot, the toughest Robot Master to fight is either Slash Man or Astro Man, but neither of them would be in this collection. Shadow Man was a huge pain if you didn't have his weakness ready, that's for sure. (I'm the only one who has this much trouble against Astro Man with the Mega Buster. There must be something I'm missing.)

Toad Man was an exampe of a boss that they didn't really think through. If you go to him with the Mega Buster and just start shooting where Mega Man stands, Toad Man will just stand there wiggling his hips and taking the Mega Buster until he explodes. At least, that's what happened during the first and only time I played through Mega Man 4.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
It really ended up making the various Robot Masters' weapons a lot less useful; in the games from 4 on, there's rarely any reason to use anything other than the Mega Buster.

That just isn't true. You can generally pelt the bosses with their weakness far faster than you can charge shots for significantly more dps. Now some weapons suck enough that you may be better off not bothering.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
It really ended up making the various Robot Masters' weapons a lot less useful; in the games from 4 on, there's rarely any reason to use anything other than the Mega Buster.

That just isn't true. You can generally pelt the bosses with their weakness far faster than you can charge shots for significantly more dps. Now some weapons suck enough that you may be better off not bothering.

Ah, but I think you're proving my point. In the first three games there were ample reasons to use the boss weapons outside of just boss fights. That your statement doesn't even consider the possibility bolsters my point.
toddc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
It's kind of sad there's enough Inafune quotes to bring up two of them in an article about games he either had mostly nothing to do with or just did level planning on while the actual creator of Mega Man is completely MIA.

It's Steve Ditko Syndrome. Well, maybe not. People know where Steve Ditko is and what he's doing, even if he's reclusive. No one seems to know where Akira Kitamura went after Takeru collapsed.

Still, it's a matter of exposure, and Inafune's said more about Mega Man's history than anyone else involved with the early games.
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm more into SNES games than NES games. I did play and beat the original Mega Man and it was a good game that I enjoyed, but I dunno about playing so many sequels. 6 Mega Man games on the NES alone, before it got to other platforms and had even more sequels, seems kinda excessive, especially if all the games are pretty much the same. I've played a bunch of Final Fantasy games but they are all different, they aren't really sequels to each other, each of them is a unique RPG with its own separate setting, characters, storyline, and so on. These Mega Man games look like they're all the same, though... kinda like... how many games is Mario going to have to rescue the Princess in, at some point it gets excessive. In fact it even got excessive in the first Super Mario Brothers with that whole "the princess is in another castle" business. Playing that many Mega Man games in a row just seems, I dunno, boring I guess. Right now I happen to be playing Chrono Cross for the original PlayStation and I'd say it's probably way more interesting than any Mega Man game... and most of the other games I play nowadays are also very interesting (I've also been playing the Lunar games for Sega CD). I'm more into 90s games than 80s games. I might try out Mega Man 2, see if it's any good, after I'm done with Chrono Cross. My favorite NES game for that console that I've played was called Crystalis, that game was really ahead of its time, one of the first real action RPGs that was not only a role-playing game but had real-time combat rather than a separate battle mode you'd go into from random enemy encounters like in Final Fantasy games (which are RPGs but not action RPGs). The fighting in Crystalis is a bit similar to in Mega Man, but Mega Man is pretty much just a simple side-scroller like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog over on the Sega Genesis, and lacks any RPG elements at all. I do like Mega Man better than Sonic the Hedgehog... I never could get the hang of how to control Sonic. And Mega Man looks so cute when he shoots those little round bullet things out of his robot hands, way cuter than Mario shooting those fireballs. Mega Man's way of jumping is just like the princess in Super Mario Brothers 2 (U.S.)... jumps up a certain distance, hovers there for awhile, then falls down again... not at all like the Mario/Luigi jump where you go up and then come right back down again immediately. It reminds me of those old cartoons where the roadrunner chases the coyote off a cliff, then the coyote is suspended in midair for a few seconds until he looks down and notices there's nothing underneath him and THEN he falls... that's what Mega Man's jumps are like when he just hovers in midair defying the laws of physics. And things are always so slippery underneath Mega Man, it's like the original NON-super version of Mario Brothers once a ledge is covered in ice... Mega Man just slips and slides instead of standing in one place after he lands. Mega Man also kinda reminds me of Astro Boy, that old 1950s anime about the robot boy hero. From his name I'd expect Mega Man to be a superhero like Superman, Batman, or Spiderman... strange how there aren't any Mega Man movies being made by Hollywood since they are so into superhero movie franchises now. I guess Mega isn't very impressive anymore with modern technology, nowadays Giga Man and Tera Man would be more popular, and Mega Man is kind of a joke, almost as bad as Kilo Man. In our era of billions and trillions, a million doesn't seem like much anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1