• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical to Release Audio Light Novels in Spring 2016

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
So... Drama CDs? I'm assuming these are meant to be audio-book versions of light novels? But it just sounds like Drama CDs to me.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
No wonder my order on amazon got pushed back I: Well, at least it will be released right after final exams so I will actually get to read it instead of holding the urge to read it to study for the finals.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Being a big audiobook fan this is pretty cool. Though given my anti dub bias in anime, I'm a bit confused.
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Cool, I guess. This pretty much audio books for LNs, so that's pretty niche all around.

The Origin numbers are interesting. That's way more than I'd expect from Gundam, but I guess the NYTBS list was already hinting that it was a success. I'm glad something like Gundam Origin was successful, and I'll keep collecting them. Now I need to finish reading them.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
It'd be cool if they retained the voice actors for the shows that already have English dubs
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
So... Drama CDs? I'm assuming these are meant to be audio-book versions of light novels? But it just sounds like Drama CDs to me.

The wording of this post makes it seem like Vertical is going to do audio recordings of light novels, no different than when Audible does a recording of a Stephen King book. I get the feeling though that they intended for it to be Drama CD's, since those are are really the only thing that makes sense. I imagine we'll get more info in the future. Hopefully we'll get Hyakumonogatari. If Aniplex won't hire Johnny Yong Bosch to play Araragi, then Vertical will.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Cool, I love audio books. I hope they get put on Audible.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Awesome, being visually impaired, I really like the idea. If it is something akin to drama cd's, I'm still on board since English versions of those have never been done, for obvious reasons.

Hope they get some good ones to dub, looking forward to it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Are radio dramas (closest thing I can think of to Drama CDs) still a thing in the west? My mom has a few but they are all decades old.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Are radio dramas (closest thing I can think of to Drama CDs) still a thing in the west? My mom has a few but they are all decades old.

Not ones produced directly for the radio, but podcasting has revived the format. The most notable example is Serial (a non-fiction drama), produced by the people behind NPRs This American Life.

http://serialpodcast.org/

My favorite, though, is The Red Panda Adventures, about Canadian superheroes in the 1930s and '40s.

http://decoderringtheatre.com/shows/red-panda-adventures/
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Audio dramas are still very much a thing in the UK. Besides the BBC doing full cast radio adaptions there is a company called Big Finish that also produces dramas for Doctor Who & other series which are absolutely excellent.

http://www.bigfinish.com/

So anyway I like the idea of this. I even listened to my first Japanese audio drama for Yona of the Dawn & enjoyed it (although I could only follow along because of familiarity with the series)

But vertical doesn't really have any properties I am interested in at the moment.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
From the wording of the article, it seems like the audio version of the LNs will still be in Japanese. (At least I hope it is; trying to translate/re-write the dialogue-scripts in English will be a pain.)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
^ Why would they release audio versions of light novels in Japanese in the US. That doesn't really make much sense.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:
Awesome, being visually impaired, I really like the idea. If it is something akin to drama cd's, I'm still on board since English versions of those have never been done, for obvious reasons.

Hope they get some good ones to dub, looking forward to it.

Actually, there have been a few Drama CDs that have been dubbed. Mainly as bonuses in CE boxes for the anime, though. And I think possibly a couple with manga sets.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Another bonus of such a license: Audio books definitely can help the visually-impaired LN fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2