• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adobe Report: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Earned US$179 Million on Launch Day

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
I believe I read somewhere, Konami gave this a budget of $75-80 million, so their ROI is fantastic. I don't know what that means for the future of Konami and the MGS franchise but I hope we see another one in the next few years. With the holiday shopping coming right around the corner, maybe it will push this title north of $200 M and perhaps warrant a call to Kojima to come back for the next installment? But then again, I believe he said this is his final MGS title and will be moving on from the franchise.

Regardless, this is by far one of the best games I have played in many years. I have around 75-80 hours and only on episode 23. I'm really taking my time, enjoying all of the side ops, free roaming and taking my time through the missions as well. A very fun, enjoyable and immense game.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
This is comparable to a movie opening with a large return on the studio's investment. While I am not a gamer, I must say "great job" to Konami. My contributions to this company are largely limited to playing Yu-Gi-Oh!
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I believe I read somewhere, Konami gave this a budget of $75-80 million, so their ROI is fantastic. I don't know what that means for the future of Konami and the MGS franchise but I hope we see another one in the next few years. With the holiday shopping coming right around the corner, maybe it will push this title north of $200 M and perhaps warrant a call to Kojima to come back for the next installment? But then again, I believe he said this is his final MGS title and will be moving on from the franchise.

Regardless, this is by far one of the best games I have played in many years. I have around 75-80 hours and only on episode 23. I'm really taking my time, enjoying all of the side ops, free roaming and taking my time through the missions as well. A very fun, enjoyable and immense game.

You do realize that Kojima and Konami had a falling out right? Like it's literally been all over gaming news for the last six months or so. He's not doing anymore MGS games because he will no longer work with Konami after December. Konami is the literal scum of the earth when it comes to game companies.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
im simultaneously pissed and proud of mgs5, more pissed than proud actually. For all of its greatness MGS5 is a greatly flawed game with numerous incomplete stories, cut chapters and unwanted/unnecessary plot twists that actually screw with the continuity and makes certain claims and vendettas hypocritical.

damn if they can cram all that crap into the game and still make that much money (mine included) im impressed and disappointed

heres to hoping this will 'actually' be the last MGS game... now Raiden's story on the other hand is whole different story
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
I've never really been interested in MGS. I've only played the first one a little bit on PSX years ago. But I'll probably buy MGS5.... someday.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Some other interesting tidbits:

• Video games are also overtaking traditional sports, according to ADI. Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) games, in which the player controls a character on one of two teams and the objective is to destroy the opposing team’s main structure, are a becoming huge.

One MOBA, in particular, “League of Legends,” with 67 million unique players, has grown quickly into a large, free gaming community, where marketers could potentially do product placements targeting gamers while they are in these virtual worlds, Gaffney said.

ADI found that people are following the gaming industry on social media, with MOBAs being more popular (from a Facebook “like” perspective) than the NHL, NFL, and even America’s favorite pastime, baseball.

• ADI also looked at 4 billion-plus visits between 2014 and 2015 to gaming sites, as well as sales of gaming-related items online. The analysis was based on aggregated and anonymous data from visits to websites in multiple industries and segments. Among the findings, August’s desktop gaming visits were up 10% from 2014, and tablet visits were up 23%. According to Lloyd, higher-powered tablets coming on the market are enabling gamers not to be bound to the desktop for a high-quality experience.

(Desktops up, smartphones down)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The 80 mil. development cost was capped off 5 months before release and the advertisement budget and so on are still left unrevealed.
I also have no idea how much Komani makes on a 60$ dollar game (let´s say a 1/3) so come back to me when the game actually starts making money...
It´s also the worst entry in the series after the MSX original and managed to break the community half. I ended up writing a 1800 word amazon review to get it out of my head and that ain´t good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
they are making all that money,and yet,they are still screwing with their game division,so #FucKonami...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Metal Gear Solid V for reaching that many sales on Day 1. It's a shame that there will be no more MGS after this thanks to Konami's horrendous business practices. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

You do realize that Kojima and Konami had a falling out right? Like it's literally been all over gaming news for the last six months or so. He's not doing anymore MGS games because he will no longer work with Konami after December. Konami is the literal scum of the earth when it comes to game companies.

Literal?

Calsolum wrote:
im simultaneously pissed and proud of mgs5, more pissed than proud actually. For all of its greatness MGS5 is a greatly flawed game with numerous incomplete stories, cut chapters and unwanted/unnecessary plot twists that actually screw with the continuity

Let's not pretend though that screwing around with continuity, plot holes, and wonky plot twists was something that just reared it's ugly head with Phantom Pain.

residentgrigo wrote:

It´s also the worst entry in the series after the MSX original and managed to break the community half.

So did Sons Of Liberty, Twin Snakes, Guns Of The Patriots, Peace Walker & Revengeance incidentally those games have sizable hatedoms.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
It´s also the worst entry in the series after the MSX original and managed to break the community half. I ended up writing a 1800 word amazon review to get it out of my head and that ain´t good.

Most Metal Gear Solid instalments after 1 have broken the community in half. People were extremely pissed about Raiden in MGS2, extremely pissed about the cutscenes and many plot aspects of MGS4, extremely pissed about the micromanagment of MGS:PW, extremely pissed about mostly everything of Twin Snakes, extremely pissed about the change in gameplay of Revengeance...

Basically, part of the community will always get pissed about something. It doesn't even surprise me anymore.
wii800

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
if MGSV made this much i wonder how much Fallout 4 will make Shocked
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
And yet, believe it or not, Phantom Pain is still just 3rd last month:

• September 2015 NPD:

1. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3) – “For 8th generation software, NBA 2K16 had the best launch month ever for any Sports game,” via @firstadopter
    2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
    3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
    4. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
    5. Destiny: The Taken King (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
    6. Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
    7. Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
    8. Mad Max (PS4, Xbox One)
    9. NHL 16 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
    10. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was easily the biggest release in terms of hype, but it couldn’t outsell Madden NFL 16 or NBA 2K16. This is especially odd considering Madden debuted in August and NBA 2K16 didn’t release until the end of September as opposed to Metal Gear’s September 1 launch date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1