• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer Takamasa Sakurai Passes Away at 49

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Wow. Another article. Very unfortunate situation that led to his death. I hope his friends and family can through through this. RIP.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
I've been at like 5 of this guys panels at 3-4 different conventions. I've seen him in NY, NJ, and MD. I can't believe he's gone.
navycherub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
I've been at like 5 of this guys panels at 3-4 different conventions.

Same. Kind of crazy thinking I just saw him this summer. Condolences to his family.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ. What a horrible way to go. My condolences, that poor, poor man.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Nishi-Nippori is one of the last few stations on the Yamanote-line that does not yet have the doors on the platforms to prevent exactly this kind of incident.

They've been installing them in all the major stations but they haven't gotten to all the smaller ones just yet... What a tragedy.
blackice85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yikes that's horrible =/

I don't live in the city so I've only used public trains a handful of times, but this has always been a fear of mine when I did, particularly when it's crowded.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
RIP Sakurai-san, I will miss you and the work you were doing.

samuelp wrote:
Nishi-Nippori is one of the last few stations on the Yamanote-line that does not yet have the doors on the platforms to prevent exactly this kind of incident.

They've been installing them in all the major stations but they haven't gotten to all the smaller ones just yet... What a tragedy.

The accident took place on the Keihin-Tohoku platform, which as far as I recall is not fenced in.

And yes, this sort of thing happens on a regular basis in all cities with unguarded rail platforms. But sometimes it's just not feasible to install them everywhere.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
That is tragic. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Ouch. Poor bastard. Rest in peace. Crying or Very sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, man... Sad Another premature death...
Rest in peace, Mr. Sakurai-san. Your great works shall not be forgotten.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
I was just passing by Nishi Nippori Station this morning. Condolences to his family and friends. Most Yamanote stations have barricades up now, but some don't. Never stopped AT Nishi Nippori, so I don't know, but... Really sad that this had to happen.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
I had only been reading Takamasa Sakurai's columns recently and finally put the name to the face that appeared in many photos that I'd seen of Japanese singers - it is a loss for all of us, as he was very good at explaining the appeal of Japanese popular culture that fans may find difficult to explain and he was a supporter of so many artists.

This tweet alerted me: https://twitter.com/ishikawachiaki3/status/672638505772785665
心友、櫻井孝昌氏が事故で亡くなったという知らせを、A9のHIROTOさんから連絡を受け、受け止められず今呆然としている。私は今日、会うはずだった。

Chiaki Ishikawa was supposed to be meeting Sakurai-san today when she heard the news of his passing.

PS, tribute just gone up at http://asianbeat.com/en/information/20151204.html
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
That was a very terrible death, killed by train. I don't know his works but my condolence to his family and friends. Sad

On a side note, what the hell is wrong with year? Too many deaths in just three months.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Damn, this is sad. Moscow's J-Fest won't be the same without him. And I was so looking forward to interacting with him in a professional capacity...

My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. This must be especially hard for Sumire Uesaka, who had known him since before she became a voice actress.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
RIP Sakurai-san, I will miss you and the work you were doing.

samuelp wrote:

The accident took place on the Keihin-Tohoku platform, which as far as I recall is not fenced in.

And yes, this sort of thing happens on a regular basis in all cities with unguarded rail platforms. But sometimes it's just not feasible to install them everywhere.

From what I've been hearing more and more railways are planning on installing the fences throughout their stations. For example the Tokyu Toyoko line wants to have all of their stations have the fences in the next few years. And I'm sure that all of the railway companies are putting emphasis and priority on this leading up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2