• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NisiOisin Writes 2 More Monogatari Series 'Off-Season' Books in 2016

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
The milking will never stop.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
I want the novel's to end simply so that there will be a complete story for the fans. It's rare for light novels to end that often. While I adore the series I'd like for the novels to end so that we can for sure get a complete anime adaption.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I don't even see how this should be news at this point, the thing clearly is never ending, it's super effortless as a cash grab and now that it's freed up pretty much from having to have anything resembling a particular direction (not that it seemed to have too much of one before) it's even more effortless.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
NisiOisin, I love you and monogatari, but man just give it a rest already. A certain part of me just wants Shaft to wrap up what's left of Owari and be done with it.

I came to terms with it "ending" a long time ago, but he doesn't seem ready to give up on it any time soon. If he is going to do this, I really wish he would at least space out the releases/announcements some more.
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
lol i see this everywhere. so many people want this series to end cus its getting milked big time and i can understand that. but i honestly dont mind it. i love the series and the quality has been pretty consistent. i just dont like seeing my favorite series' ending no matter what the case is.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
jaykayjk10 wrote:
lol i see this everywhere. so many people want this series to end cus its getting milked big time and i can understand that. but i honestly dont mind it. i love the series and the quality has been pretty consistent. i just dont like seeing my favorite series' ending no matter what the case is.
It's the kind of thing where people want it to stop before the quality of writing deteriorates. My real concern is to whether or not he is actually writing stories that need to be told, stuff that builds upon the world and characters of the series in a good way, or is one of Nisio's patented "I wrote it just because."

I'm curious to see how (if ever) he decides to end the series given how owari seemed like the most natural point to the end series, at least in my eyes.
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
jaykayjk10 wrote:
It's the kind of thing where people want it to stop before the quality of writing deteriorates. My real concern is to whether or not he is actually writing stories that need to be told, stuff that builds upon the world and characters of the series in a good way, or is one of Nisio's patented "I wrote it just because."

I'm curious to see how (if ever) he decides to end the series given how owari seemed like the most natural point to the end series, at least in my eyes.
i completely understand. you never want to see shows deteriorate and you want to see them finish off strong. however the milking hasn't bothered me that much i just hope the quality doesnt drop off. also hope the author is still thoughtful and not just churning out material for cash *see Naruto Shippuden
r0verandom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
Monogatari was never about the story, there's nothing to end (ok, there is but it's not that important). It's a character driven series.

So as long as quality of themes, dialogue, pacing and entertainment factor isn't dropping (which isn't, yet) I'm fine with nisio milking it (not that it's the only thing he is writing, there are several other series he's writing).
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
jaykayjk10 wrote:

The series IS over - at least in terms of what little plot it has since that was never the point. Owari 3 and Zoku Owari are the last novels which are still relevent to the plot, even Hana is more like an epilogue. All these novels are off-season for a reason, they are just longer side stories, the monogatari universe already has SO many stories which you don't know just because NIsiO is always writing on side stories for this character or that, they rarely get translated though so it's unlikely you'll read them.

As for people complaining about milking...it's not really. Milking implies that the author or company are making the series specifically to make money but Nisio has never seemed like the kind of author to do that, he writes books because he wants to write books. If he wanted money then honestly just making WSJ manga would probably net him more than enough, I imagine he get's paid pretty well because he is well known.

With all that said - whilst I think people complaining of milking just never liked the series to start with, I would prefer it if Nisio focused on his mystery series, just so he could explore different themes. I wouldn't mind if he kept on and off releasing Monogatari novels, but he's an author who is best when doing new things.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jaykayjk10"]
FtKaru wrote:
jaykayjk10 wrote:
lol i see this everywhere. so many people want this series to end cus its getting milked big time and i can understand that. but i honestly don't mind it. i love the series and the quality has been pretty consistent. i just dont like seeing my favorite series' ending no matter what the case is.

I kinda understand that... but would it really be so bad to stop watching it once you stopped liking it? Most great shows don't instantly turn terrible. It's a transition from great to good to mediocre to bad. Even if his greatest Monogatari works are behind him, if he can still make good ones, is that bad? If it got bad, you could always stop reading/watching and functionally you'd get the cancellation you desired with the benefit that those who were still enjoying it still had new content.

I don't get the need to be told part though. I don't think any story in Monogatari is one that needs to be told. All of them were pretty much written "just because." There's probably a lot of beloved characters and events in that series that were born out of "just because."
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I kinda understand that... but would it really be so bad to stop watching it once you stopped liking it? Most great shows don't instantly turn terrible. It's a transition from great to good to mediocre to bad. Even if his greatest Monogatari works are behind him, if he can still make good ones, is that bad? If it got bad, you could always stop reading/watching and functionally you'd get the cancellation you desired with the benefit that those who were still enjoying it still had new content.

Because once you've put hours and hours into a story, you want to see it end in the best way possible. You don't want it to slowly turn into mediocrity. Especially something that is as clever and smart as the Monogatari Series. It's hard to look back on something that used to be good and go, "yeah, I'm a fan of that". The most recent stuff is what you are going to remember, and if it is pretty mediocre, you aren't going to look back on it fondly. It's going to feel like a waste of time, and that really sucks. It's not a cancellation that most people want, it's a conclusion.
I'm fine with more Monogatari, it's one of my favorites, but I understand that sentiment, and do kind of wish that NisiOisin would end it with a nice finale and spend more time on other works. I want him to write something else, and I want that to get translated. It's a shame that translating LNs is so ridiculously hard as is, NisiOisin's stuff must be like a job from hell.
fideldesu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
I hope the creator/writer of Haruhi Suzumiya would be like this guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1