• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Entire Welcome to the NHK #1, Maoh Web Revamp Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GospelX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
NHK is absurdist? Since when? It's more just a mean spirited take on otaku life for the sake of making viewers feel like their minimal social skills are worthwhile and need little improvement compared to some of the characters on the show (specifically the main, of course).
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
I never realized just how good the NHK opening was I'm totally addicted to it now. Anyway I didn't really like the disturbing nature of the show for the first few episodes, I prefer the later episodes where the story is more focused on the recovery and when the series delves into why people become shut-ins.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I must say that was pretty hilarious. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the manga and how all of that would transfer. This seems to have taken the perverted level down just a notch, of course they probably had too. But damn if they didn't nail some of the other parts, which really had me rolling. It looks to me like they pretty much pulled it off. So the preview elevated this from my "maybe" list to my "buy" list.

Oh and the music was great too! The opening and in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
GospelX wrote:
NHK is absurdist? Since when? It's more just a mean spirited take on otaku life for the sake of making viewers feel like their minimal social skills are worthwhile and need little improvement compared to some of the characters on the show (specifically the main, of course).

lol wut?

chrisb wrote:
I never realized just how good the NHK opening was I'm totally addicted to it now.

I totally agree. It's so...stylish? Love the song too.

This is a good move by ADV, I think; though they've done it a few times before already. It's an alternative preview for those who aren't so fansub-inclined and it's a sneak peek into the dub too.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
OMG Chris Patton is so awesome. I didn't watch the whole episode, I just wanted to sample the dub a bit. It sounds really good. I also did want to see how they deal with the whole NHK thing since it's a bit of a trickly translation issue, since it's Japan no Nihon in English. Plus the whole hikikomori thing too (looks like they usually use NEET, which makes sense since that is an acroynm based off English...no education, employment, or training is it?)

The other voices seem quite good too, though it's hard to tell from the first episode since it's so much of Satou.

Yet another series I desperately want to buy.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
yes i agree, the voice for satou matches up well. misaki voice matches up well also but at times sound a bit older. what im impressed with is how well chris patton manage to make it sound so convincing. the first episode shows promise since satou freaks out and they manage to pull off a scene like that off while making it sound convincing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
That was great! This is the first time one of these free streaming things has convinced me that a certain series was good and that I should buy it, unlike Kurau, Air, and Xenosaga before it (of the ones I've watched). Really, seems like a great show. I loved the humor, and as others have said, the music before, during, and after the episode was excellent.
S0litaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
NHK is personally the most satisfying anime I've seen in the past two years. And yeah at first, the intro didn't really click with me, but I really love it now. spoiler[ I find the remix which plays during the second half of the series is even better. ] Series has amazing background music as well. Never noticed the figurines in his room were from Mai Otome either.

Dub is very well done and I'm quite pleased. I really want to watch it all at once now. It's been a while since I've seen the series, and it seemed like I was practically watching it for the first time again, even though I've seen it more than once.

Last edited by S0litaire on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Chris Patton is WIN in that episode! Chris is already one of my favorite VAs, but still he totally managed to impressed me even more with his performance. I was worried that the dub might end up being too over the top or underwhelming, but that was perfect. I hope the rest of the dub is that good.

Misaki definitely sounds quite a bit older, but she is supposed to be around 17 or 18 after all and I think she sounds just about right. While she loses the cuteness factor that the seiyu brings to the table, I'm OK with her sounding older as I now prefer her sexier, lower-pitced English voice. Anime catgrin

S0litaire wrote:
NHK is personally the most satisfying anime I've seen in the past two years. And yeah at first, the intro didn't really click with me, but I really love it now.

spoiler[ I find the remix which plays during the second half of the series is even better. ]

NHK is in my top 10 and is a must buy. Anyone who doesn't buy this series will have to fork over a one million yen fine. Wink

The opener is indeed great. Once I was a few episodes in to this series and completely hooked, I then quickly started to love the opening, although I prefer spoiler[the version that played for the first half of the series]. It's one of my all time favorite OPs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
panties

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the manga and how all of that would transfer. This seems to have taken the perverted level down just a notch, of course they probably had too.

The NHK anime isn't based on the manga; it's based on the novel series. (The manga is based on the novels, too.) This is a common misconception, possibly having something to do with ANN's encyclopedia listing the anime as an adaptation of the manga for quite a while before it was eventually fixed.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
panties wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the manga and how all of that would transfer. This seems to have taken the perverted level down just a notch, of course they probably had too.

The NHK anime isn't based on the manga; it's based on the novel series. (The manga is based on the novels, too.) This is a common misconception, possibly having something to do with ANN's encyclopedia listing the anime as an adaptation of the manga for quite a while before it was eventually fixed.

Ah! I had no idea. Thanks for the info! Smile Really that makes this even easier to swallow.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
panties wrote:

As I have mentioned before though, there obviously is some collaboration between the anime and the manga, since they have the same character designs and are very similar in other aspects as well.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Watched the free NHK promo episode; didn't like it. While it was humorous at parts, the whole "nun fetish" factor really turns me off. That's just disgusting, and very un-funny. Had potential to be hilarious, but slid across the pervy line too much for my tastes.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Watched the free NHK promo episode; didn't like it. While it was humorous at parts, the whole "nun fetish" factor really turns me off. That's just disgusting, and very un-funny. Had potential to be hilarious, but slid across the pervy line too much for my tastes.

Trust me, it isn't all like that. Sure there are perverted moments in this series, but that isn't what NHK is mainly about. Keep watching, it'll only get better.

Welcome to the Brilliance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Machius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
GospelX wrote:

While I agree that calling it an absurdist comedy is inaccurate(it's a dark psychological satire), the show is not a take on the otaku lifestyle, it's about the Hikikomori or NEET(not in education, employment or training) lifestyle. Which in Japan is a different issue and a real problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2