• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Lord Marksman and Vanadis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
I only ended up watching Lord Marksman and Vanadis because of a friend and I love the fantasy and politics but the fan service was really distracting at point. Especially because I felt the outfits are so over designed and silly looking and not even really sexy. They are just so out of place. But otherwise the story was pretty decent and the characters were pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I consistently misread this show's title as "Wizard Baristas," which sounds like a series that someone needs to make immediately.

Unfortunately, I assume it would end up like Wizard Barristers, a show that sounds like a great premise but just didn't live up to it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'd call that a fair review.

Vanadis wasn't an exemplary anime, but it was certainly serviceable. Hopefully the Blu-Rays sell well enough for the novels to get localized.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
I've been debating for a while whether or not to buy LMV and by the review it looks like something I would be interested in having in my collection.

Nice even review.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I consider this to be an informative and useful review.
Thank you.

I just added Lord Marksman and Vanadis to my wish lists at Right Stuf and Amazon.com.
I will definitely be waiting for a sale, but the review makes me believe that I do want to own this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I had a very mixed feelings about Vanadis. From the one side, I really liked war and politics staff and how characters acted during it (even if they had an abysmall budget).
But from the other, it constantly switched to the generic awful fanservise. This show ended up being a Frankenstein's monster, where parts didn't really work as needed, which is dissapointing.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
vanadis is one of those show where it is better if you read the novel, since they really cheap out on the battle scenes with short narrations and MS paint type graphics and horrible pacing.

side note starship troopers (film) isn't a story about marines killing alien bugs but a satire on fascism :p (no seriously)
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Your Digimon story was great. Reminds me of when my middle school banned marbles, pogs, and trading card games because it emulated gambling.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Holy hell! That is a gloriously glorious collection! I am completely in love with the figure display. *Personal Goals*
The way that you have dedicated sections for specific series, and then the backdrop in the middle with the series title. WOW! When can I visit? That's extremely impressive! Surprised
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely incredible shelves! What an amazing customization you have, plus the autographed posters, and everything neat and organized. These pictures make me grin ear to ear. Keep up the hard work!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to talk myself into finishing Lord Marksman and so far, my latest attempt got me stopped at the final two.

It's not a bad series. It is, however, completely unremarkable save for its dinodragons and its use of RTS battles.

Ok, right, the show or at least the original LN tried to set up the Utawarerumono plot with our minor lord main character collecting allies... and haremettes, can't forget those... through strategic battles, political maneuverings and plain dumb luck, ultimately taking over the whole nation. So far, so good.

But what Lord Marsksman fails to do... well, one of them... is calculate the human cost; "Why are we fighting when we were just shopping together?", "Could this have been avoided?", "Why throw your life away?" and that old classic "War, what is it good for?" I suppose one of the reasons for the RTS reenactments was to ignore the idea that those guys with bows and swords weren't people, they were just numbers; One for every thousand and regardless of how or why they died, they were easily replaced. Somehow and very quickly at that. Even when our lordly "heroes" were together the day before and back to normal the following day, the losses that they occurred that day... didn't count. Or matter. Hey, dropping like flies based on their lords' whim is the good life in medieval times, don't get me wrong... Right?

Another failure of the show is even more basic: Nationality. Yes, the Warrior Maidens are right under the king and just over the lords of their country. Yet that means zilch since the show was primarily set and fought in the neighboring nation of Z- not spelling this word. Yet some of the warrior maidens were drawn into the conflict because they had ties to the lords of Zee... and not each other. No, they fought each other... sometimes. Or watched or mediated or sat at home. Still under their king, still under the orders from their king... 1 Why wouldn't either the king or the warrior priestesses finish off the other, to "streamline" the whole governing thing? 2 If the position is determined by the magical weapon itself then why is the position so esteemed? Elen was a bandit before she was raised but now she's just under the king yet not her fellow former bandit? 3 These are military positions but most of the users are, well, not so why would they have soldiers in the first place? Do they come with the weapons...

Wait, why did Elen have her own castle again?

Where was I? Nationality? Yes, why would the Vanadis have treaties with lords of other nations over and above treaties with each other? Plus, no matter the reason, once one of them set foot in Zee, any sort of military action changes from "rebellion" to "invasion" regardless of who they set up as figurehead.

The show was set up to do one thing: "Insert main character wish fulfillment with a bevy of hotties to the dirty, sweaty work." Ironically, it is what the Utawarerumono game was made to be and yet its anime adaptation failed to do; Hakuoro made it clear those were his victories through his decisions because that was his life and not the player/viewer.

Ok, I guess it is a bad series but disguised as a somewhat entertaining one at times; That would explain some of my problems with finishing it. After a point, I just don't care what happens.

And would anyone have noticed if the guy took his fiefdom and moved it to Elen's nation? This series...
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What we have here is a show that ranges from “acceptable” to “pretty good” in just about every area without being great at anything. That's actually something of a rarity in my experience

I felt the same way. Madan no Ou to Vanadis had so much potential to be better than what it became. I think if it were done under someone else like *insert name here*, it might have been the show I wanted it to be(I hyped it up). I still loved it anyway.

OP song is godly. As expected from Ms. Suzuki.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Shocked Holy hell! That is a gloriously glorious collection! I am completely in love with the figure display. *Personal Goals*
The way that you have dedicated sections for specific series, and then the backdrop in the middle with the series title. WOW! When can I visit? That's extremely impressive! Surprised

Usagi-kun wrote:
Absolutely incredible shelves! What an amazing customization you have, plus the autographed posters, and everything neat and organized. These pictures make me grin ear to ear. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you. It has been a lot of work, a lot of waiting in lines at conventions, and a little bit of scouring Tokyo on my first trip there (oh, and money, definitely money). Now that the bulk of it is done, my bank account has a much greater peace of mind. Wink
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
Thank you. It has been a lot of work, a lot of waiting in lines at conventions, and a little bit of scouring Tokyo on my first trip there (oh, and money, definitely money). Now that the bulk of it is done, my bank account has a much greater peace of mind. Wink

Yeah, well, it was nice how it were displayed and all that stuff too, but yes, a little piece of mind would help too. X3
ikramit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
As far as the adaptation of Lord Marksman and Vanadis concerned its more a badly told summary that shares the same general plot line then an actual adaptation with more than half of the content from the light novel being skipped over and the battle tactics being sometimes retold incorrectly. Events that happen in the anime are not given an explanation not because there isn't one but because the anime is preoccupied with getting through as much content as possible to bother with the explanation.

The battles in the light novel are a good mix of high octane and intense violence and good tactics with a constant changing of view point from general to general on both sides of the battle, their feeling on what’s going on, what they’re doing and what they plan to do are all expressed in one way or another and the stakes are clearly outlined so there is pressure on the result which keeps you engaged throughout.

In the anime you're lucky if you get a single fight scene and know why they're fighting in the first place also battles tend to skip to the end leaving out the beginning and middle and then you get a narrator who gives you a very rough outline of what happened this makes said battles appear far more one sided then they actually are not to mention very dull. Also counter tactics are skipped making antagonist look incompetent. It should also be noted that a number of full scale battles have been skipped over in the anime which based on how they were being adapted may be a good thing.

Pretty much all side characters that play large roles in the source material are completely ignored in this adaptation characters such as the kings of both countries , Bertrand , Rurick , Mashas, Hughes , Gerard and Gleast to name a few, pretty much get no development or are not even present in the anime.

This extends to main characters as well for example Limlisha plays a large role in this arc acting as tigers mentor, teaching him more about politics, economics and battle tactics and being his primary adviser this does not come across in the anime. Even characters that do get screen time get very little if any development and context for who they are theirs also alot less interactions between characters in the anime this includes the antagonists that have a good portion of events being told from their point of view in the light novel and are alot more fleshed out.The special abilities that characters possess are not explained at all rightly leading to confusion for many viewer, then you get to the economics and politics that are for the most part also given the boot. There's not much in the way of getting around this being terrible adaptation and the manga version isn't much better unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2