• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 29-March 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
So, The Boy and the Beast is at 24k total. Saw the movie on the weekend, really enjoyed it. It's a movie I'll be buying once it's released here.

Liked it a little more than Summer Wars...so that pretty much means it's my number one Hosada movie. Summer Wars 2nd, The Girl Who Leapt Through time a distant 3rd. Which reminds me, I still need to watch Wolf Children.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
Jesus, Rakugo must be selling like dog shit to not appear on two charts in a row. Last week was kinda understandable(if still not disappointing) seeing how everything on the chart sold over 2,000 copies, but this week, with half of the listed titles only selling a few hundred copies? I think we can declare it dead Jim. Crying or Very sad
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Jesus, Rakugo must be selling like dog shit to not appear on two charts in a row. Last week was kinda understandable(if still not disappointing) seeing how everything on the chart sold over 2,000 copies, but this week, with half of the listed titles only selling a few hundred copies? I think we can declare it dead Jim. Crying or Very sad

It sold 1.5k BDs last week. It's kind of bad but not incredibly terrible.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
The tragic tale of Noragami... Crying or Very sad
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad to see Digimon 02 so high. Tamers Blu-ray set next, please!
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

1.5k for the first week of the first volume is crap numbers......

No it's not as bad as only selling a few hundred copies in that same scenario, but it is basically the next worse thing. So, yeah, on home video Rakugo has bombed... Sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that the Limited Edition of Digimon 02 is faring well! Smile Perhaps there'll be a Limited Edition of Digimon Frontier one day...
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

1.5k for the first week of the first volume is crap numbers......

No it's not as bad as only selling a few hundred copies in that same scenario, but it is basically the next worse thing. So, yeah, on home video Rakugo has bombed... Sad

Honestly, anything that breaks 1.5k, I consider "okay". It's not great, but the Disc sales are only a portion of their income. A surprising number of sub 3k series make money through other means, and some even get sequels. Anyway, 1.5k is not awful, so I wouldn't cry too much. Also, if it didn't show up on the first week, showing up on the second week for the same volume would be extremely unlikely even with such a low barrier of entry. If it sold 1.5k first week, it probably sold an additional 150 this week. Maybe we'll see it next month when the second volume comes out if it manages to land on a slow week.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Time won't forget you this time Toy Story. Oso at #2. Nice. Crap week in general obviously.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Listening to a Podcast today where one of the hosts said Rakugo was the 4th best selling title for the season, while Phantom World and Prince of Stride were not doing so great. Where would someone see figures like that? I know he's wrong, but I don't think he's intentionally misleading people, so I'm curious if anyone knows where he might have gotten figures like that.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
^They're probably saying it based on the pre-order numbers on Amazon, since few v1s for the season have actually come out. I think only Rakugo and DRRR actually . The winter season has uncharacteristically low sales overall, no show is breaking the 10K on preorders and most seem to be in the 2-4K window, which is probably what that podcast meant
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
^Thanks. I'm going to have to track down a site that keeps track of pre-sales like that. Though I'm sure they aren't all that reliable anyway, given how different they seem to be from the official Oricon sales rankings.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
If you want to know if a series had decent BD sales, its best to look at mean average of the couple of years.
Not that decent means it has a decent chance at s2, because it'll depend on outside factors.

relyat08 wrote:
Listening to a Podcast today where one of the hosts said Rakugo was the 4th best selling title for the season, while Phantom World and Prince of Stride were not doing so great. Where would someone see figures like that? I know he's wrong, but I don't think he's intentionally misleading people, so I'm curious if anyone knows where he might have gotten figures like that.

Even if they include the wk1 estimates from amazon stalker,
http://rankstker.net/index_news.cgi

Its still far below 4#, so I think he misunderstands it or got wrong info somewhere.
Estimates are more accurate the closer to release the series is, its just that storefront heavy(or the opposite, or it being Amazon-biased) tends to throw it of in some cases. But series that get huge v1 boosts because of event tickets for concerts do tend to be storefront heavy, or big shows aimed at female otaku.
Atleast, from what i've noticed. A robot(amazon stalker) can't predict how storefront heavy something will be afterall.

But winter is also just doing badly in its pre-orders in general. Only Monogatari and Konosuba are keeping it from being a total flop, without monogatari it would have been the first sub-10k season in years. But its mean average will be really low.

For reference, the current stalker estimates for winter.

Late Jan -> Mid Feb -> Early march

[Monogatari not included because the estimate is too inaccurate at the moment]

*2.2k -> *7.2k -> *6.8k KonoSuba
*3.4k -> *2.8k -> *4.5k Divine Gate
*0.0k -> *2.3k -> *4.0k Grimgar
*2.8k -> *4.0k -> *3.0k Prince of Stride
*2.6k -> *2.5k -> *2.8k Phantom world
*3.7k -> *2.5k -> *2.2k Teekyuu S7
*0.0k -> *2.0k -> *1.8k Ass Class S2
*3.6k -> *1.8k -> *2.4k PSO2

Below 2K,
Ajin
Dagashi Kashi
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
Nurse Witch
Active Raid
Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
AssClass S2
Dimension W
HaruChika
Koukaku no Pandora
Oshiete! Galko-chan
Sekkou Boys
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara
Norn9
Shoujo-tachi
Anything I forgot to list.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks a lot for that link and the information. Anime catgrin

This season is a little depressing. Hopefully it's just another burp. BokuMachi being under 2k according to that estimate is pretty sad. Though, not that unexpected, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1