• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Ultimate Guide to Anime Ending Credits: Part II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
You know, this all sounds like a lot of work to get an anime made.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
I really love getting this info. As a general animation (process) fan, its great to get more detail about the work that goes into making it. That said, I think these could stand to be broken up a bit more. The material is pretty dense and even AS a fan, it gets rough to just read through all of the material in these two articles in one go. Make no mistake, I REALLY appreciate the work that went into this, I just think it'd be better in more parts to assist with the digestion.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
good read, thanks.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again for the article, it's nice knowing more about the type and amount of work that's goes into an anime as well as the people involved. Personally I love it when studios produce even a bit of hand drawn work and its quite impressive when the background and frontal scene goes well together. Special effects sometimes bother me more than they should as well, I tend to cringe a little when an anime has too bright/dark backlighting and I loved your little jab at the characters in 'uninspiring' light novel adaptations Anime smile + sweatdrop
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Which series was this image attributed to? It doesn't really give a hint as to what studio the photography ruined. Confused
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Which series was this image attributed to? It doesn't really give a hint as to what studio the photography ruined. Confused

Looks like Mardock Scramble to me which Go Hands is the studio attributed to in production. They are still around and more Mardock might be coming so I'm also not sure why it was in the link about a studio being ruined.

Those movies are like an LSD trip anyway so the hyper stylized colors and camera work really matched imo.

Great article again! Very fun to read while I'm on lunch breaks at work Smile
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Modern postprocessing allows them to film scenes that look like convincing telephoto shots

*sigh* Those don't look like convincing telephoto shots, they look like convincing wide aperture shots. Wide aperture means a shallow depth of field which means some portion of the photograph is going to be out of focus - whether it's a wide angle shot or a telephoto shot is irrelevant. You can get the same blurred background effect in both.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Looks like Mardock Scramble to me which Go Hands is the studio attributed to in production. They are still around and more Mardock might be coming so I'm also not sure why it was in the link about a studio being ruined.

I figured he was just taking a stab at them, since they seem to be incapable of making something without such heavy filters. I don't mind it, but hopefully they show some more versatility on their upcoming project.

Kevin wrote:
Pretty much all anime dialogue is recorded over the animation rather than the other way around, hence why the process is referred to as post-recording (アフレコ); schedules being as messy as they are however, that tends to be done over progressively rougher footage or even the storyboards in some series.

I was watching my Kill La Kill "making-of" a couple of days ago, and the narrator says "These day, most voice recording occurs before the animation."
As I had previously heard that recording was typically done after the animation, that struck me as odd. I guess the explanation is that she meant, most voice recording occurs over incomplete animation?
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I took a lot of notes.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Something that was nagging me yesterday but didn't seem worth bringing up is that the example for chromatic aberration doesn't display anything that looks like chromatic aberration to me (and with the strength of my eye prescription, chromatic aberrations are only ever a glance away). What I noticed today is that the banner image for this article definitely does display chromatic aberration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I'm late. Seems my RSS feed had a hiccup or something.

Again thanks for this article series. It's really neat to learn more about what goes into making the anime we love Anime smile

Would it be possible for you to add attributions for the images and animations you use in these articles? A still image of ending credits isn't really enough to recognize from which anime/episode it came if you haven't watched that anime yourself recently. And a cool-looking bit of animation makes me want to see how it fits in the rest of the anime.
Something like Title + Episode nr. + Timestamp would probably be best.

It feels a little awkward to see the entire audio department abbreviated to a single paragraph. I know your specialty is animation and visual art, but if this is to be our "Ultimate Guide To Anime Ending Credits", shouldn't we learn about who does the sound effects, the audio director, composer, voice acting, audio recording, etc.? Please tell us more about the audio side too.
Yuyucow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I really love getting this info. As a general animation (process) fan, its great to get more detail about the work that goes into making it. That said, I think these could stand to be broken up a bit more. The material is pretty dense and even AS a fan, it gets rough to just read through all of the material in these two articles in one go. Make no mistake, I REALLY appreciate the work that went into this, I just think it'd be better in more parts to assist with the digestion.

Fair point! /I/ find them rather heavy, and I'm writing the damn thing. I think the next one will be easier to swallow.

DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:
Modern postprocessing allows them to film scenes that look like convincing telephoto shots

*sigh* Those don't look like convincing telephoto shots, they look like convincing wide aperture shots. Wide aperture means a shallow depth of field which means some portion of the photograph is going to be out of focus - whether it's a wide angle shot or a telephoto shot is irrelevant. You can get the same blurred background effect in both.

Calm down there. The point wasn't the out of focus backgrounds alone, if you'd seen the surroundings and the entire scene you'd realize that those are in fact using a telephoto lens. Yes you can't portray that without more references, but I didn't think that was required for a passing mention. (And if you've seen it and still disagree I recommend going to argue with the series director, since she talked about it.)

relyat08 wrote:
I was watching my Kill La Kill "making-of" a couple of days ago, and the narrator says "These day, most voice recording occurs before the animation."
As I had previously heard that recording was typically done after the animation, that struck me as odd. I guess the explanation is that she meant, most voice recording occurs over incomplete animation?

Yep, it's 'before the animation' in the sense that they voice over incomplete materials. Actually animating something to fit the already recorded voices is called pre-scoring (vs the post-recording everyone does), and it allows genuine lipsync.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Something that was nagging me yesterday but didn't seem worth bringing up is that the example for chromatic aberration doesn't display anything that looks like chromatic aberration to me (and with the strength of my eye prescription, chromatic aberrations are only ever a glance away). What I noticed today is that the banner image for this article definitely does display chromatic aberration.

That banner image and the sample pic are from the same scene actually, barely any seconds apart. I went with the more simple one since there's only one element and I felt it would highlight the aberration (around the petal) better. If you want a VERY clear example of the technique used in anime, Strike the Blood's magic scenes abused it to the point of being a bit painful.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Would it be possible for you to add attributions for the images and animations you use in these articles? A still image of ending credits isn't really enough to recognize from which anime/episode it came if you haven't watched that anime yourself recently. And a cool-looking bit of animation makes me want to see how it fits in the rest of the anime.
Something like Title + Episode nr. + Timestamp would probably be best.

I'll make sure to do it in articles actually talking about the visuals since people have mentioned this before, didn't think much of it this time since those images are just there to break down the text a bit and have nice visual examples. But here you go: the first/last pieces of animation are from a commercial, not an actual show. The credits this time are Haikyuu/Rakugo/Aokana/Osomatsu, and the other pics are from Chuunibyou's behind the scenes, Seraph's backgrounds from Studio Pablo's blog, Euphonium's AnimeStyle feature, and Naoko Yamada visiting the studio's digital department.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
It feels a little awkward to see the entire audio department abbreviated to a single paragraph. I know your specialty is animation and visual art, but if this is to be our "Ultimate Guide To Anime Ending Credits", shouldn't we learn about who does the sound effects, the audio director, composer, voice acting, audio recording, etc.? Please tell us more about the audio side too.

The guide has a bit of a bias towards anime industry people, so sound production (which is done somewhere else and includes lots of non-anime staff) was going to get less focus no matter what. But when/if I get to the core staff (who aren't credited in the ending for the most part) I'll have to talk about the sound director, touching a bunch of those things you mentioned.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Yuyucow wrote:
I'll make sure to do it in articles actually talking about the visuals since people have mentioned this before, didn't think much of it this time since those images are just there to break down the text a bit and have nice visual examples. But here you go: the first/last pieces of animation are from a commercial, not an actual show. The credits this time are Haikyuu/Rakugo/Aokana/Osomatsu, and the other pics are from Chuunibyou's behind the scenes, Seraph's backgrounds from Studio Pablo's blog, Euphonium's AnimeStyle feature, and Naoko Yamada visiting the studio's digital department.

I meant the Imgur linked images as well Anime smile + sweatdrop
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
@Yuyucow I have to admit, Strike the Blood is what immediately came to mind. I saw a much more subtle/realistic effect on something I was watching yesterday, but forget what it was now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PMDR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. There is a LOT involved in the audio beyond After Recording. The process around how the music is chosen and whether record companies are involved providing a song they wish to promote, and the process of fitting those songs into the show open/ending. That alone is a big part of what people think about the show.

Then the choice of sound effects matters a lot. Will it be done in-house or will they hire an outsourced effects Pro like Fizz Sound or Anime Sound? If you're doing a mecha show, you pretty much need to hire one of those two or else you're gonna sound awful.

Once one of these firms has produced a sound theme, you've got producers and sponsors and other parties throwing in their opinions. It can be complicated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2