• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please edit this article!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Article: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-23/kumamiko-creator-remarks-on-cruel-comment-in-final-episode-script/.103547

Quote:
It was also deleted from his filmography on Wikipedia by an IP address from Aichi Prefecture — where Sugiura is from.

This really needs to be removed from the article.

1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN was not only watching the IPs editing this single Wikipedia article but had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

2) You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing.

3) Whoever that IP belongs to, you are probably inciting a witch hunt on them. You revealed what page this IP edited as well as where it's located. Whoever owns that IP could meet a lot of unsavory consequences as a result of bitter fans who read this and go through the effort of tracking his IP down, with things like DDoS or doxxing. It's 2016, have you not seen all the scary hacking going on as of late?

Whoever at ANN that was pathetic enough to go through the trouble of tracking that IP and making such an unfounded claim, shame on you. This is by far the most unprofessional thing I've ever read on ANN. I'll be sure to make Sugiura aware of what you did so he can better protect himself. But you could make his life easier by just removing that from the article entirely.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Since you copied/pasted your post in the interest thread and made this one here I am going to copy/paste part of my response to it as well.

"I would also suggest you watch the rude insults towards the author. We expect users to be civil here (rule #1) and that does in fact include to the staff themselves. Calling someone creepy and pathetic is not being civil. Nor is slandering them by saying they're trying to incite a witch hunt while clamoring about being professional when you yourself are being anything but. Such behavior will not be tolerated."

Edit: I just removed your response. I said clearly in the News article itself to stop the soapboxing and wait for an admin or author to respond. That does not mean continue the soapboxing here. You have made your case and despite your rude & downright inflammatory comments I am allowing this thread to stay open until an admin or senior news person responds to your grievance. If they choose to. Do not push your luck. Your posting history to begin with consists of 99% of nothing more than 2 or 3 word posts that pushes the limits of the one liner rule here to begin with. I HIGHLY suggest you do not add further instances of rude and inflammatory comments and continue to soapbox on this issue unless you want to be placed on moderation.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Calling someone creepy and pathetic is not being civil.

And quoting another news source which directly reveals someone's IP address in an attempt to connect to it someone IS civil?

How many news articles do you know that attempt to connect a well known person with an actual IP address? Not many, I'm sure. There is no founding evidence that IP address belonged to Sugiura especially since it was discovered on the Japanese Wikipedia. He might as well be including the actual IP address in his article.

So unless you can show me instances of other reliable news sources sharing well known people's IP addresses like this, I stand by my statement that it's creepy and pathetic. It's creepy because who the hell would go so far as to link a Wikipedia edit to someone solely based on their IP address. That would require them to run the IP address through a searching system to pinpoint it's exact location. It's pathetic because it's jut an assumption and nothing more. Sure, the article doesn't say it's his, but it does point out the "coincidence" and strongly suggests it's his. Why would it be in the article if it wasn't suspected to be his IP address?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
[Note: I am not an editor. I do not have the right to make any changes to ANN articles. Nor do I have the right to tell editors what to do with an article. I set policy, the editors interpret it. It is up to an ANN editor to decide how, if at all, to react to this issue.]

Amara Tenoh wrote:
1) Wow, this is insanely creepy that someone at ANN <snip> had the ability to figure out exactly where the IP was from.

This is super public information. Anytime an anonymous edit is made to Wikipedia, the IP address is listed, tracing an IP address back to the general location is super basic.
here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/8.8.8.8

Here's mine: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/173.179.118.165

Everytime you send an e-mail, the recipient can probably find out roughly where you were when you sent it. Anyone can do that.

Quote:
You don't even know if this was actually Sugiura or not. Sure, it might be from the Prefecture he's from, but you can't say for sure it wasn't a fan who was just sabotaging the page out of anger. It could also be a disguised IP, VPNs are a very real thing.
Our writer did not state it belonged to Sugiura. They stated public information for you to make your own conclusion. The information does certainly lead towards a particular conclusion.

Personally, I'm slightly on the fence about this one. I'm against ANN releasing any personal information, and ANN did not release anything personal or confidential. On the other hand, it did point towards specific public information that could be used to find the approximate location of the person who made the Wikipedia edits. (within a few kilometers). But where he lives approximately is already public (he made it public).

Nothing ANN stated hasn't already be stated by Japanese fans. Personally, I think I would have written "Japanese fans were quick to point out that the Wikipedia edits were made by someone living in the same prefecture as..."

Ultimately, I think the article could have been phrased better, but I don't think ANN released information it shouldn't have.

Quote:
Whoever owns that IP could meet a lot of unsavory consequences as a result of bitter fans who read this and go through the effort of tracking his IP down, with things like DDoS or doxxing. It's 2016, have you not seen all the scary hacking going on as of late?
LOL. While technically true, your concerns are a little... exaggerated. You might want to learn a tiny bit more about the clouds before you warn people about the falling sky. Unless you take measures to protect your IP address (ie: a VPN), you're leaving it all over the internet. Depending on your e-mail provider, there's a good chance that every e-mail you send has your IP address listed in it. The IP alone is enough to DDoS someone, but if they're on a residential connection, they can probably change their IP in a matter of seconds, or call their ISP and their ISP will do it. It's no where near as painful as it is for an Internet server. As for Doxxing, that would take a bit of motivation, and someone that motivated and knowledgeable would have found that IP address without ANN's article.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1