• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kumamiko Manga Creator Apologizes for Anime's Ending

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
It was a nice enough gesture, but I don't really think an apology from the original author is necessary. It sounds like he provided the anime staff with a very broad outline, and a professional screenwriter should have been able to make something halfway decent out of it.
nubguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree. The mangaka had nothing to do with that ending being bad. The writers for that last episode dropped the ball.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The fact that you felt the need to apologize kinda pisses me off, i wouldn't apologize about the way the anime ended nor would i have any regrets(kinda like spitting in the anime and the staffs face).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I am lost in translation, but it does not seem to me like he is apologizing for the anime ending, he is apologizing for his prior (deleted) post and for having the idea of Machi going to Sendai (which was not the real problem, the problem is what happened when she returned) and giving a excusing the company that made the anime from any wrongdoing.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Maybe I am lost in translation, but it does not seem to me like he is apologizing for the anime ending, he is apologizing for his prior (deleted) post

Exactly. The title of this article is VERY misleading. He wants to take back his criticisms of the ending, and instead praise the staff for all their hard work.
nubguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it is less that he is taking responsibility for the bad ending and more that he is apologizing that he said something about it on social media, making the bad situation worse, as he put it. I still think that he feels the ending was handled poorly.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This is very similar to his previous comment, but worded in a bit less critical way. He is still saying thanks for the staff's hard work, but clarify by omission that he hasn't proposed the last 10 minutes of the episode.

At the very least, that whole thing increased the show's crowd-awareness.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Mangaka need to step up and put their foot down whenever an animation studio decides it's a good idea to destroy their manga. If you're not going to respect the source material, why bother adapting it? If you want to make original content so badly, why don't you just make an original anime instead of destroying something with fillers? If the manga is very plot driven (think magical girl manga and shounen manga) then you really mess up the pacing when you add fillers to the anime.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand he apologies for his comment but maintain what he said by saying he was only aware of the Sendai idea. That's how I interpret it personnally.
ebv2406

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
What's so amazing about that apology is that they (the whole staff and creator) still don't seem to understand what's was wrong with the finale, I think ANN review was very "on the point" in how the ending destroyed the character's progression through out the season.

I will add that Machi going into hallucinations and then bloking herself to reallity, without growing at least a little bit, was just a horrible way to end the show. Even in the supermarket episode she was able to overcome her shyness and do her job (at the expense of not wanting to do it ever again, of course).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that was one bizarre writing choice. Why end it like that of all things? A person with social anxiety pretending a crowd is just a bunch of trees or whatever is a valid way to ease out of stage fright (at least for awhile) but that whole mental breakdown had uncomfortable overtones.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Mangaka need to step up and put their foot down whenever an animation studio decides it's a good idea to destroy their manga. If you're not going to respect the source material, why bother adapting it? If you want to make original content so badly, why don't you just make an original anime instead of destroying something with fillers? If the manga is very plot driven (think magical girl manga and shounen manga) then you really mess up the pacing when you add fillers to the anime.

That's great premise I could agree with, but unfortunately, that's not how showbusiness works. When author of book, manga, comic, video game, whatever they choose to base anime, cartoon, live-action show or movie, it doesn’t matter here, agree with the contract, it usually contain part, where the author or authors are giving the production team full freedom, which means they can’t interfere with the production process and quite often than not, they are surprised with the result. Of course there are exceptions, like Goushou Aoyama still being significant part in Detective Conan anime production process or J.K. Rowling having a big word in how Harry Potter movies were done, but those are really rare exceptions. Usually, the production teams want their freedom from the author and unless it’s someone really big and popular, the authors agree so their work is made to the TV or movie screen. It’s sad, really, but that’s how it works.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
^ Some of the original creators are pretty bitter about the lack of control they have with the animated version. I remember talking to Koge Donbo about the anime version of Di Gi Charat and she was still very upset that they never bothered to consult her, nor allowed her access to any of the artwork.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ebv2406 wrote:
What's so amazing about that apology is that they (the whole staff and creator) still don't seem to understand what's was wrong with the finale

I think they do. But IIRC what the author had previously criticized was what Yoshio says (which is included in the portion mentioned in this news), not the part after they return, so it seems like they are only apologizing about the part they talked about in public. Something like "I think X and Y was bad, but since I only complained about X, I will only apologize about X."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Usually, the production teams want their freedom from the author and unless it’s someone really big and popular, the authors agree so their work is made to the TV or movie screen. It’s sad, really, but that’s how it works.

That is how it works in the west, but in Japan when an anime is made into a TV series, the original aurhor has the final seal of approval. Probably the mangaka behind Detective Conan is already used to being in the loop, but that does not mean he cannot veto any idea for fillers (to give an example).

For examples of what happens when they ignore the mangaka, google Polar Bear Cafe.

I do have heard that when a movie is done, since it a riskier proposition they do ask the author to give the seal of approval before the production starts, but even then he probably asks for a summary of the plot.

So I still think that even if the author gave his seal of approval, I think they added the real ending later to that piece of paper.

I will say what I (and probably many others) have been thinking all this time, the director probably wanted more loli fanservice but the mangaka repeatedly shot him down and as a vengance they did the shitty bad ending in the last five minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3