• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Gold Earns 1.1 Billion Yen in Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larkan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
A 15% drop from Z.

It also sold 319k less tickets than Z in its opening Weekend.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Higher than Strong World but less than Z. Pretty solid opening. Now to see if it has legs to last as long as the other two.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I think Toei are being overly optimistic. The fact that it dropped nearly 30% sunday compared to saturday, an unusual scenario in a market where sunday is bigger than saturday, suggests that it might be quite frontloaded.

Interestingly enough, its OW is just 1,092 admissions ahead of Strong World's, so one might want to take a look at SW's total admissions and multiply it by the average ticket price this time around to get a general idea of its final total.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Saw it opening day here with a completely packed, huge theater. Definitely an enjoyable romp with the One Piece gang, with lots of good cameos and aspects from the culture and history of the world of One Piece, but also a bit of a throwback to the pre-Strong World movies - a big bad and his crew who are just there for the movie, without any of the deep connection to OP history that Golden Lion Shiki or Zephyr had. Of interest was that the theater I was in was completely packed, but I only saw a few people who looked under 25; One Piece's audience is till vastly bigger than anything else in Japan, but it's certainly starting to skew older.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Of interest was that the theater I was in was completely packed, but I only saw a few people who looked under 25; One Piece's audience is till vastly bigger than anything else in Japan, but it's certainly starting to skew older.

That's probably because One Piece has been around for so long. The people who were teenagers when it started are in their late 20s and 30s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Not to mention Japan in general is skewing older as well. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
$10.87 million/478,528=$22.72 a ticket. If they could get this to 750 USA screens, it is possible that they can exceed that amount. We have enough OP fans that we could do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1