• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Broadcast Dub Casts for Tales of Zestria the X, Both Arcs of Danganronpa 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Glad to see some of the game cast back. I've been trying really hard to wait for the dubs to come out for these ones lol. Very Happy
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Also, nobody apparently noticed this, but they put up the Broadcast Dub for the first episode of Love Live! Sunshine!! without giving a cast list.

I'd like for that to change as soon as possible.
Responder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Yes! Ian Sinclair, Caitlin Glass and Austin Tindle are some of my favourites. It looks like Zestiria's dub will be one I can easily watch with friends and family. I just hope the rest of the cast can measure up.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Aw, it's too bad that Michael Johnston (Mikleo's VA in the game) won't be returning. Does Philip Lamont have any notable roles though? This is the first time I've heard of him.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Aw, it's too bad that Michael Johnston (Mikleo's VA in the game) won't be returning. Does Philip Lamont have any notable roles though? This is the first time I've heard of him.

That may just be a pseudonym for Micheal Johnston.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Aerodynamic41 wrote:

That may just be a pseudonym for Micheal Johnston.

That's occurred to me too. Philip Lamont has stone cold nothing proving he's a real person. We'll have to wait and hear for ourselves.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
It's great to see that Funimation always does there best to get as many of the original English cast as possible for Anime series based off video games. Very Happy
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Were the really so proud of Hagakure and his stupid Wild Stallions drawl that they had to keep that in even though they've got Kaiji Tang on board? Here's a better idea, why don't you get Kaiji Tang to reprise his role and have Chris Bevins play a side character as a throwback to the anime dub? That would be way better than the other way around.

Oh well, at least they got Christine Cabanos back. I knew that Natalie Hoover would be back since she lives in Texas and seemed more than happy to reprise her role but I really wasn't sure about the others.

Blatch wrote:
Also, nobody apparently noticed this, but they put up the Broadcast Dub for the first episode of Love Live! Sunshine!! without giving a cast list.

I'd like for that to change as soon as possible.
I'm not gonna jump to conclusions, but I'm starting to think that the higher ups don't much care for Love Live. It's almost as if they just blindly picked it up to get a one up on Crunchyroll.

I mean I'm glad it's getting a broadcast dub (As much as I enjoyed the original Love Live dub 3 years was a long time to wait) and knowing Caitlin Glass is on board puts to bed any worries of mine that the people directly involved in the production of said dub don't care about the show they're working on (I mean... have you seen her Maki collection?). But I doubt Funi are going to handle the series with as much tender loving care as NISA.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:

Cast for the English version of Love Live Sunshine.
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Great to know that Ayres is butchering Monokuma again, would've watched the dub if anyone but him was playing Monokuma.

Shame because I've been talking to some of the actors for Danganronpa on twitter this past week and they're lovely people so it's annoying I won't be watching their work on DR3.

Know it sounds stupid but Ayres is horrendous as Monokuma and sitting through more than 3 seconds of him gives me a splitting headache.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
I love the Danganronpa dub, probably one of my favorites out of Funimation recently.

Personally, I love Greg Ayres' Monokuma. I feel like he gives that little monochrome maniac an edge that seems to be missing from Brian Beacock's interpretation. That being said, I would gladly take either one of them for the role as I still believe that Beacock turned in a fantastic performance for the games.

Chris Bevins' Hagakure is the only reason I don't completely hate that character, so I'm happy to have him back.

So other than recasting some roles which can't be helped due to location constraints, this is looking pretty great Funi. Keep up the good work. Smile
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy that they managed to get the original cast of the game for Tales of Zesteria X! Though it must not have been as hard as it usually would be, considering that three of the VAs are Funimation regulars. I'm pretty sure Mikleo's VA is under a pseudonym because he does a lot of live-action stuff so he's most likely part of a union.

They managed to get most of the actors from SDR2, particularly the ones whose performances I really enjoyed (can't imagine Souda not being voiced by Kyle Hebert.) But I do love and prefer Derek Stephen Prince as Kuzuryuu, so it's disappointing to see that he's not on the list.

I guess I'm one of the few fans who enjoyed the dub of the anime. Heck, I actually thought some performances were better than the ones in the dub of the game (Maizono, Oogami, Fukawa, Chihiro, Togami, etc.) With that said, I find that Brian Beacock is ultimately the better Monokuma. Also, there were a few mistakes here and there in the dub (I think the translator misinterpreted Naegi's sister, Komaru, as his older sister when she's really his younger.) But if they read the script more carefully this time and keep everything consistent, I"m sure the dub will be fine.

It is strange, though, that they managed to get Kaiji Tang and yet he's voicing a different character. But I'm sure there's a reason. Did they possibly get him for Hagakure, but decided he was better as Kizakura? Wouldn't be the first time roles have been switched for because of that.

Honestly, the real discourse I've found between Kaiji's and Bevin's performances as Hagakure is that the former sounded more like a "surfer dude" and the latter sounded more like a "hippie." Both voices were similar to the different interpretations a lot of fans did for their English voices long before the game even had a dub, so I'm used to hearing him both ways. Ultimately it's up to preference, and I'm fine with both.
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
I love the Danganronpa dub, probably one of my favorites out of Funimation recently.

Personally, I love Greg Ayres' Monokuma. I feel like he gives that little monochrome maniac an edge that seems to be missing from Brian Beacock's interpretation. That being said, I would gladly take either one of them for the role as I still believe that Beacock turned in a fantastic performance for the games.

Chris Bevins' Hagakure is the only reason I don't completely hate that character, so I'm happy to have him back.

So other than recasting some roles which can't be helped due to location constraints, this is looking pretty great Funi. Keep up the good work. Smile

To each their own, my brother put it perfectly imo.

Ayres makes Monokuma seem like a Looney Tunes character without any of the charm of the character, I don't think him threatening or fun to watch, this is completely opposite of Beacock who I find makes Monokuma hilarious but also downright terrifying.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I just looked up Ayres' Monokuma since I never saw the first anime and boy is it... different. Not saying its bad, but not as good as Beacock's version.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Mikleo's voice actor, Abyssal Chronicles (fan site) had this to say:
Quote:
From the list, I did a quick check and it seems all the previous Tales of Zestiria English cast are reprising their roles, with the exception of Mikleo, who was voiced my Michael Johnston in the game. I can't speak for the voice actors of Bartlow and Lunarre though, as their game voice actors weren't made public. I heard Lunarre in the game was voiced by Ben Diskin, but I couldn't find a concrete source apart from fans saying he sounds like Ben Diskin.

Funimation's article is a bit misleading since, quoting them, "many of the original voice actors from the game will be reprising their roles for the English Broadcast Dub," meaning not all of them will reprise their roles, but majority will. However, immediately after the line above, they mention this: "Wanna know who’s coming back for the anime version? Check out the list below!" which, if I understand correctly, means that all those listed in their full list are from the game. I'm not entirely sure what they mean at this point. *shrugs*

A quick Google search on "Philip Lamont" will not lead you to any voice actor. Fans are currently speculating that Philip Lamont may just be an alias that Michael Johnston is currently using for this project, as "Philip Lamont" is a character from upcoming movie The Exorcist. As to why they arrived at that conclusion, I'm not entirely sure.

So, it's either Michael Johnston or it's not Michael Johnston, but actually someone named Philip Lamont. Maybe we'll find out once episode #01 (2nd episode) reels in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2