• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokémon Go Developers Address Login Issues, Removal of Third-Party Apps

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
With the game's radar system busted, sites like PokeVision were what was keeping the game alive for a lot of players. If they do not introduce a decent tracking system soon, the game will just end up being one of those apps you keep on your phone on the off-chance you'll feel like wasting some time with before deleting it in a couple of months' time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
How about they address GPS spoofers and horrible catch rate/flee first? People can spoof, get max level and put disgustingly powerful Pokemon in gyms wherever they want, making it way too time/item consuming to bother taking down. I know in another thread someone shot me down, but if this shit keeps up, the game can't really last longer with the name number of users. Lured up Pokestops will dwindle and everybody will just go back to video games indoors; which is going to be the inevitability for colder areas come winter.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How about they address GPS spoofers and horrible catch rate/flee first? People can spoof, get max level and put disgustingly powerful Pokemon in gyms wherever they want, making it way too time/item consuming to bother taking down. I know in another thread someone shot me down, but if this shit keeps up, the game can't really last longer with the name number of users. Lured up Pokestops will dwindle and everybody will just go back to video games indoors; which is going to be the inevitability for colder areas come winter.

I'm sorry I really didn't mean to shoot you down bro! The reason I replied to you directly on this was because so many people are claiming that this game is dying when numbers aren't going down and are in fact increasing.
I actually agree with you in tracking system. But listen here. As a casual player of ingress but still someone knowing how the game works and how the company was treating us players through the years, I can tell you Niantic haa changed for the better .
The company never actually gave any statements or tried to communicate or listen to its player base, making the game really a pain sometimes.
Now with Pokémon go's popularity they actually talk about their decision and are improving stuff that players are talking about. And since many complain about the tracking system, it's probably gonna be on the next update.

I'm not defending Niantic, as I said they treated u alike shit. I just mean to say that something has changed for the better. At least it's a good direction
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The developers also said that it has removed third-party apps such as PokéVision, which maps where Pokémon can be found, due to problems they caused in the main game.

Problems? PROBLEMS? problems my ass(my ass is not actually a problem)?!?

all pokevison ever did was make it possible to know where pokemon would be so we would be wasting our time running around like chickens with our heads lopped off.
we still have to go to the location, still have to catch the pokemon and still have hatch those ridiculous eggs with that crappy gps(its really frustrating that you can't do anything at all if you want pokemon's pedometer to register steps, if the split screen worked it might be slightly better.) Their own nearby thing was so bad that they had to move their footstep meter, and I don't believe for a second that pokevison was causing this problem, if that were the case then their own system would be bugged and it most certainly was not.
I cut niantic a lot of slack and gave them the benefit of the doubt over many things but this is the last straw for me.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Fix the freaking three-step bug before you start going after third-party apps. Better yet, leave the third-party apps alone and go after these guys on Twitch clearly using GPS spoofers hanging out in their basement while they in-game hop from Disney World to Tokyo in five minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The GPS spoofers are able to take or snipe gyms from people who are utterly alone physically at that location, meaning it could have only been someone cheating from who knows where. That's ridiculous.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Absolute Problem #1 is the tracking issues. Especially when coupled with their idiotic "only way to power up/evolve Pokemon is catching more of the SAME Pokemon" mechanic. If you could use candies from all the dang Pidgies, Rattatas, Zubats, etc. then it'd be "ok" to only see other Pokemon semi-randomly. But the fact that I gotta catch 50 Squirtles to do ANYTHING with 1 squirtle means not being able to RELIABLY find a Pokemon (even when they show up ON the radar) is frsutrating as hell for the playerbase. Couple that with the lousy buggy code that apparently doesn't always clear the cache and keeps "Pokemon ghosts" (not the type) on the radar, makes it HIGHLY likely that people are gonna get fed up.
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
I think Niantic is just in over their heads, and their inexperience with game design is showing. With Ingress it more or less worked out due to the particulars of the player base, but with a game of this size and a base this broad, ambiguity and silence don't cut it.

I went from playing several hours and walking 10-20 kilometers every day since the Japanese release to quitting entirely since the update. There's barely any point in playing it where I'm at without any sort of tracking system. And if the numbers mentioned by the creator of pokevision are to be believed, roughly half the game's entire player base was using the application.

Will removing tracking kill the game? Probably not. But it will kill the size of the game. And it will definitely damage much of the game's - and the hype's - potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1