• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metroid Prime: Federation Force 3DS Game's Trailer Teases Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
So, uh, what about that exactly was supposed to be Metroid? At least Hunters tried.
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
So, uh, what about that exactly was supposed to be Metroid? At least Hunters tried.

The universe.
Coolback

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
This game tells us : Pleeeeeeaaaassseee !!! Kill me !!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
A massive amount of dislikes nearly twice that of the likes... Yep...I honestly don't see Federation Force having a high chance selling well. The music is mediocre and the frame rate is sluggish... I'll be surprised if the title reaches just 100K within its first week.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this game is going to well in Japan, but terrible in most English speaking Countries?

This game has flown under my radar so hard, I keep forgetting this coming out this year.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
I wonder if this game is going to well in Japan, but terrible in most English speaking Countries?

Considering that much of Metroid has been obscure in Japan for years, Federation Force probably won't be faring well there...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:

If anything it would be the opposite. Japan doesn't have any interest for the Prime sub-series, while America prefers Prime to 2D Metroid games and want Nintendo to make more Prime games over 2D games. The game only exists in order to appeal to the western market.

-Stuart Smith
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

The universe.

What Cetais said.

I don't get it, didn't people used to go on and on about how Metroid's universe was fascinating and worth exploring? When did people lose interest in seeing how the Galactic Federation worked? I don't buy into Metroid: Other M being the reason for that (because Other M is just about Samus's retconned Freudian issues).

I look at how people react to Federation Force and can only conclude that people really feel entitled as heck with their video game franchises.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
But we did see how the Federation worked. It was called Metroid Fusion. The entire thing is painted in shades of gray no different than black. A "story trailer" would have been the perfect time to showcase that. Doesn't need full-blown spoilers, just some indication (beyond the suits) that it is the same Federation that pushes for peace publicly while growing Metroid hybrids in secret labs. "You there, grunt, be very careful securing that bioweapon, we need to keep it out of enemy hands. For science! Er, the safety of the galaxy!"

At the very least, I would have liked some indication that the team doing Federation Force understood they should be looking at Alien over Halo. Actually, scratch that, that's mean to Halo.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh, correct me if I'm wrong but the corruption of the Galactic Federation only applies to the higher-ups. If this game is just about grunt soldiers I doubt they would know anything about all of the illegal crap their superiors do. That was the whole point of the Deleter in Other M, to kill his squad investigating the Bottle Ship in order to keep them from discovering the GF's involvement.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, sure, but that's not any different from the crew of the Nostromo, or the Marines in Aliens: expendable assets on a mission with specifics that they don't need to be fully aware of.

Sure, maybe the advance reviews (if there are any) will rave about this game's complex conspiracy plot that pays homage to the main series, but... going off the trailer, I got none of that.

It's just hard to get hyped about being a GFed Marine when every other game they're in has them trying to feed you to their latest toy.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I don't get it, didn't people used to go on and on about how Metroid's universe was fascinating and worth exploring? When did people lose interest in seeing how the Galactic Federation worked? I don't buy into Metroid: Other M being the reason for that (because Other M is just about Samus's retconned Freudian issues).

I look at how people react to Federation Force and can only conclude that people really feel entitled as heck with their video game franchises.

Perhaps it's a new generation of fans, like how each new wave of Sonic fans wants Sonic to be something different than the previous ones. Probably coincidentially, the newest wave seems to be the one most concerned about the story in Sonic.

Or it may be a feeling of betrayal, like what happened to Animal Crossing fans anxious for another main series game and got Happy Home Designer, then Amiibo Festival.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Or it may be a feeling of betrayal, like what happened to Animal Crossing fans anxious for another main series game and got Happy Home Designer, then Amiibo Festival.

This. No one would complain if Federation Force was a companion piece to a main game entry on Wii U or NX, the game itself looks perfectly fine for what it is. But when this is all we get after all these years (for series 30th anniversary no less) it's hard not to be disappointed. Imagine if Triforce Heroes was the only Zelda game we get since Skyward Sword.

(And yes yes yes, the Metroid series is niche in Japan, doesn't sell well and people should be grateful instead of being entitled crybabies.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:
This. No one would complain if Federation Force was a companion piece to a main game entry on Wii U or NX, the game itself looks perfectly fine for what it is. But when this is all we get after all these years (for series 30th anniversary no less) it's hard not to be disappointed. Imagine if Triforce Heroes was the only Zelda game we get since Skyward Sword.

(And yes yes yes, the Metroid series is niche in Japan, doesn't sell well and people should be grateful instead of being entitled crybabies.)

The other thing I had in mind is that I'm certain Federation Force would also be much better received if it was its own IP and not part of the Metroid series.

At the very least, there is still hope for Metroid fans for Nintendo to release something with satisfactory gameplay. That is, they make it clear these are spinoff games. I'm a Paper Mario fan, and it's pretty evident the entire series has completely changed direction to something a lot less appealing to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1