• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Garo The Animation BD+DVD [2016-09-09]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I've heard there's a direct movie sequel to Garo, Divine Flame, which continues Leon and Alfonse's adventures. Is it a good continuation of the series?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
How the anime handled Lara was definitely unsatisfying; for one in that spoiler[she died just to motivate Leon, and for two in that she was cute and her and Leon were cute together and were the cutest couple]. But aside from that and the random fight inside a modern cityscape, I can't say I had any real problems with Garo: Crest of Flame. I found it a pleasure to watch and an easy recommendation.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
no kidding. lara definitely got the wrong end of a deal huh? however its not as bad as say akame ga kill's surprise death for one character as its ending. it pretty much ruined the whole series for some people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I've heard there's a direct movie sequel to Garo, Divine Flame, which continues Leon and Alfonse's adventures. Is it a good continuation of the series?

I was also hoping that this review was for the Garo: The Divine Flame movie, but that just came out on May 21, 2016 in Japan and I haven't heard any info on an official English language release yet, so I guess we'll just have to wait. Leon's baby brother looks so cute, though! Womanizer Dad left some more good in the world spoiler[before he left it himself]!
Don't have much to add to this review--Lara's story was incredibly disappointing and cliche and it led to Leon and Emma spoiler[sleeping together, which I still have mixed feelings about, especially since it seemed to be a one night stand that won't have any long term consequences. They were basically just mourning their dead lovers and didn't build a connection with one another, which might kill the mentor/pupil type relationship they had before. Emotionally realistic but tragic.].
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even the Makai association itself briefly becomes evil, embodying a utilitarian pragmatism that was never even hinted at in the first half.

I wonder if the reviewer was paying attention to the first half of the series, but having not heard the dub(dubs are plain bad) I wonder if the problem was a dialogue being changed which leads to this.

In the first half of the series the "Makai Association" as you called it is definetely stated to not care that much about humans(if at all), not to mention in the original live action series. For example in episode 9 when Alfonso is sent to kill the Chimera Rafael outright says that Garm conveniently """"forgot"""" to send a lot of people to kill it, when a horror of that magnitude would need to eat and kill a ton of humans to get that powerful and normally should've never been left alone for that long. Garm just acts smug about it.

It's been a while since I watched Garo, but i'm sure there are more exchanges with German where she shows little interest in his struggles, gives plenty of half-truths or just changes the subject too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1