• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paramount's Live-Action Rings Film Delayed to February 2017

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatnuke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
January/February is where Hollywood movies are sent to die. It's nearly always a surefire way to tell what studios want to sweep under the rug.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Especially to send a horror movie with a near Halloween release? Holy crap that isn't a good sign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
Even though this movie looked kind of bad. I wanted my crappy horror movie october/Halloween.

This is like the third delay. Why don't they just put it on straight to DVD or netflix.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
January/February is where Hollywood movies are sent to die. It's nearly always a surefire way to tell what studios want to sweep under the rug.

I think that more or less used to be the case, and to a certain extent still is, but there have been quite a few movies recently that have done quite well for themselves in the January/February slot. I kind of compare movies showing in January/February to television shows that air on Friday/Saturday. You can occasionally have a hit, but they usually put them there to die.
bin1127

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

I think that more or less used to be the case, and to a certain extent still is, but there have been quite a few movies recently that have done quite well for themselves in the January/February slot. I kind of compare movies showing in January/February to television shows that air on Friday/Saturday. You can occasionally have a hit, but they usually put them there to die.

Wasn't Revenant released January last year and look how well that is That is unless the studio planned it so it wouldn't be in direct competition with Force Awakens.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

Wasn't Revenant released January last year and look how well that is That is unless the studio planned it so it wouldn't be in direct competition with Force Awakens.

Horror films that are put out during that time are always cheap garbage (The Boy or The Forest for example).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
With the issues going on Paramount, even though the Dauman/Redstone issue at Viacom has been settled, it's entirely possible that they just wouldn't have the final cut ready in time. There have been a number of cutbacks and layoffs over the past two years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled resources from this to prep and promote other films. Even in October, a horror movie is unlikely to be a huge blockbuster, and they have more expensive films in their slate that they need to focus resources on.

Also, there have been successful horror movies released in January and February, but they have generally been lower budgeted than Rings appears to be.

I'm kinda disappointed by this, as I really enjoyed this first two and this one looked like fun.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

Revenant was released in December for Academy Award consideration.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
bin1127 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

Revenant was released in December for Academy Award consideration.

Technically The Revenant's wide release was in January but was limited released in December for exactly the reason you specified. American Sniper and Lone Survivor did the exact same thing before that. Kingsman: The Secret Service was released in February of 2015 and that did well with critics and audiences alike. Also one of my favorite movies of 2015 was John Wick and that released in February was well.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mean to imply that ALL movies released in Jan/Feb are bad. Obviously that's not true, but it's definitely standard industry practice to move projects that didn't come together well to those months because: A) theater audiences are smaller, and B) people who do go to the theater are seeing wide releases of Academy Award-vying pictures released in limited in the months prior.

A movie like Rings though? I doubt there's much reason to skip the October horror blockbuster prime-time other than the studio wants it to come and go quietly.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even still care about the Ring franchise? I haven't heard people talk about this series in ages and it seems like all the recent movies from Japan have been pretty bad at least from what I've read about them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
I didn't mean to imply that ALL movies released in Jan/Feb are bad. Obviously that's not true, but it's definitely standard industry practice to move projects that didn't come together well to those months because: A) theater audiences are smaller, and B) people who do go to the theater are seeing wide releases of Academy Award-vying pictures released in limited in the months prior.

A movie like Rings though? I doubt there's much reason to skip the October horror blockbuster prime-time other than the studio wants it to come and go quietly.

It's a horror movie, so no one is expecting award caliber material. Furthermore, it's also a sequel, which means even lower expectations. I doubt Paramount would move the film to just have less people notice if it's terrible. Even truly terrible horror movies tend to pick up a bit more money in October, and studios don't generally care about bad reviews in this genre. Paramount certainly didn't care about the negative reviews for the last couple Paranormal Activity movies after all.

As I said, considering the turmoil at the studio and their parent companies, it's likely they simply won't have the final cut ready in time, and are focusing on other films (particularly Arrival, which is premiering only two weeks after Rings was suppose to.) It's been a very bad two years for Paramount, and they had to deal with layoffs, cutbacks, and a fight over whether to sell part of the studio or not.

Rings is far from the only film in the past 16 months that Paramount has rescheduled repeatedly. For instance, they had issues with The Little Prince, that despite good reviews, was dropped from theatrical distribution just weeks before it's US premier, and eventually it ended up streaming on Netflix instead. The next Mission Impossible film is stuck in preproduction due to disagreements with Tom Cruise over his salary and percentage of the profits. Friday the 13th has been pushed back repeatedly, and was originally suppose to open this October. It hasn't even started filming yet, and has been pushed back again till next October.

The fight over Viacom and National Amusements, the attempts to sell almost half the studio to the Chinese company that owns Legendary, and hundreds of millions of dollars in losses have taken their toll. Paramount is extremely disfunctional right now, and is having major issues getting films produced and released on time, let alone being able to market them properly. Star Trek Beyond underperforming at the US box office was a major blow, and probably resulted in even more layoffs and budget cuts. The pushback of the Rings release date has less to do with film itself, and far more to do with the general state of Paramount itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1