• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kraken Releasing Licenses Garo Live-Action Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
That caught me off-guard. I wonder if they get the (partially) remastered HD version and, unlike the current TV broadcast, complete.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quite a bizarre pickup. Don't think anyone expected that at all. Probably give a shot when it's on sale.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The sub-headline reads: 2005 tokusatsu show gets western release in 2016

This will be released in 2017.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You guys are in for a treat. The 2005 series is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upHR-T0HaOo
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This IS a surprise since Japanese live-action shows rarely get picked up for sub releases here because of different reasons (mostly related to the actors) and after FUNi picked up the anime, I thought that was it. Very glad to know that it got picked up and I hope they also have Makai Senki as well as the specials & movies linked to both seasons.

Can't speak for the later shows but I didn't like The One Who Shines In The Darkness, and haven't watched the others yet.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
This IS a surprise since Japanese live-action shows rarely get picked up for sub releases here because of different reasons (mostly related to the actors) and after FUNi picked up the anime, I thought that was it. Very glad to know that it got picked up and I hope they also have Makai Senki as well as the specials & movies linked to both seasons.

Can't speak for the later shows but I didn't like The One Who Shines In The Darkness, and haven't watched the others yet.

Shout! Factory followed up its Power Rangers sets by working with Saban to release Sentai seasons. They're about to put out their fourth (working forward from Zyuranger), so obviously there's some success there. Also, if a licensor was going to pick a series, it was obviously going to be something people are familiar with in the west. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Cutie Honey The Live and, well, Garo. Garo has the benefit of a top-flight anime with a second season coming out, and it's a series that aged pretty well. Furthermore, it's a series that presents a whole lot of further installments to adapt.

I do wonder if the release will include Garo Gaiden and the follow-up TV movie, Byakuya no Maju.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Shout! Factory followed up its Power Rangers sets by working with Saban to release Sentai seasons. They're about to put out their fourth (working forward from Zyuranger), so obviously there's some success there.

Very aware of that but it's link to Saban & Power Rangers is why I don't really count it, If Shout ever goes back and licenses the pre-Zyu shows, I'll count it then and as a matter of fact, if they were to get Jetman from that bunch, I'd most likely buy more than 1 copy since it's my top favorite Sentai series of all time. Until then I'll be looking forward to buying Ohranger in a few weeks (I have Zyuranger-Kakuranger already) and expecting a Carranger announcement in a few months.

Quote:
Also, if a licensor was going to pick a series, it was obviously going to be something people are familiar with in the west. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Cutie Honey The Live and, well, Garo.

Can't really speak for Cutie Honey: The Live (though I did enjoy that show myself) but it's true about PGSM since people have been asking Viz about it in interviews and at conventions (most recent being yesterday at New York Comic Con) so the demand is there and if that got picked up, I'd definitely buy that, probably more than once since it was a great show and imo, the best adaptation of the first arc and better than the 90s anime & especially Crystal's first seasons.

Quote:
Garo has the benefit of a top-flight anime with a second season coming out, and it's a series that aged pretty well. Furthermore, it's a series that presents a whole lot of further installments to adapt.

Speaking of the anime, it'll be interesting to see how FUNi handles Crimson Moon since IIRC, that series wasn't as popular as the first series on the streaming side of things.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Has Viz really brought over live action stuff itself? I don't think so. FUNi's doing Shin Godzilla and the rest of the industry players, even Media Blasters and Right Stuf, have live action labels. Media Blasters has actually bankrolled a couple movies themselves like Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Has Viz really brought over live action stuff itself? I don't think so. FUNi's doing Shin Godzilla and the rest of the industry players, even Media Blasters and Right Stuf, have live action labels. Media Blasters has actually bankrolled a couple movies themselves like Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police.

Yes they have. Viz even had that theater in San Fran that was about bringing over live action stuff.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll still waiting for Kraken to unleash the Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla movie; It's weird they only licensed three of the four movies Sony dropped and the one they skipped is the best of the bunch.

"It's Sony so I can wait to get it; A Sony title won't go out of print."

I'm glad they're still finding use for the imprint but there's a lot of movies I'd rather see in print or back in print before any TV series.

For example, how about Godzilla 1985... Reminds me of that foreign set I saw that had all the editions of that movie; "I don't have to get that; I'm sure the upcoming release will cover it right. Look at how hard it's to find Gojira without Godzilla King of the Monsters these days!"

In the meantime, I'm stuck with Godzilla 1985 on VHS... and no VHS player.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Has Viz really brought over live action stuff itself? I don't think so.

They actually have with movies in the past but they haven't picked up anything since the two Gantz films in 2011 and, to go off-topic, with the new Death Note movie coming out in Japan, it'll be interesting to see where that one will go because Viz used to have the first 3 movies themselves but they have been out of print for a while now.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Has Viz really brought over live action stuff itself? I don't think so.

They actually have with movies in the past but they haven't picked up anything since the two Gantz films in 2011 and, to go off-topic, with the new Death Note movie coming out in Japan, it'll be interesting to see where that one will go because Viz used to have the first 3 movies themselves but they have been out of print for a while now.

And if they do pick up the new Death Note movie, will they get Ocean to dub it like they did the three prior films? Plus, what about the Death Note TV drama from last year?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping Funimation would license this. Either way I'm glad it's coming out, Garo is the best Toku series out there.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I was really hoping Funimation would license this. Either way I'm glad it's coming out.

Not a lot of companies are willing to take risks on live action series. One movie is relatively low-risk, low-effort. A series, you have to decide, dub or no dub, then translate and press 26-some episodes onto discs. Lots of money to produce with an uncertain market. Garo is one of a few good test cases for what kind of market there is, because people have some idea of what Garo is. Same thing with Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (what with Crystal and all) and Cutie Honey The Live, but I'm not sure how well PGSM aged and it's been more than a decade since Bandai brought over the Gainax live action film.

Edit: There is something I'd like to know. The original series was 4:3. Right now, they're airing it in HD in Japan, with reworked effects. Which flavor are we getting?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Kraken was released Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2