• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Run Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices on November 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Yeaaah, I wanna watch it, but 3am? Going to have to DVR...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Fortunately, I own the Bluray for it or else I would have to DVR it as well.

Interestingly enough, I never finished watching the movie. Kinda got bored in the middle of it. Been hearing, understandably, that this film was one of, if not his weakest film to date (which is kind of weird saying since majority of his films are well above average or outstanding).

I hope others find this film to be way more entertaining than I did. Cool
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Was expecting a lot of butthurt / armchair quarterbacking from fans on Jason DeMarco's ask.fm in response to this, and was not disappointed.
Satoshi Batista

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah I agree with the point he made. I've never heavily associated Toonami with movies. I used to watch the black really heavily back when I was a kid and the only movies I ever remember them showing were some of the Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon ones, and those tended to be infrequent from what I can recall.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Fortunately, I own the Bluray for it or else I would have to DVR it as well.

Interestingly enough, I never finished watching the movie. Kinda got bored in the middle of it. Been hearing, understandably, that this film was one of, if not his weakest film to date (which is kind of weird saying since majority of his films are well above average or outstanding).

I hope others find this film to be way more entertaining than I did. Cool

Some probably did. I'm with you, though, in thinking it was certainly far from his best.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Batista wrote:
Yeah I agree with the point he made. I've never heavily associated Toonami with movies. I used to watch the black really heavily back when I was a kid and the only movies I ever remember them showing were some of the Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon ones, and those tended to be infrequent from what I can recall.

Found a nice list of all specials and movies aired on Toonami over the years. Some I forgot aired as all movies on Toonami have been one-shot showings. Rare to see any repeats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Toonami#Animated_movies
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ugh... I want to watch this, but I don't know if I'd be able to convince my husband (or myself) to stay up that late to watch it. We usually go to bed when One Piece comes on, and we don't have a DVR to record it. Guess it'll depend on how awake we still are after whatever we do on Saturday then.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Even if this wasn't airing at a ridiculous timeslot--3 AM, get outta here with that--I probably wouldn't bother. Makoto Shinkai makes some gorgeous eye-candy movies, but I've got no patience for their over-melodramatic storylines.

It'd be nice if we got another filmmaker like Kon whose films weren't all melodrama set in picturesque settings.

Still, glad that Toonami still airs movies; I have fond memories of the times they aired Rintaro's Metropolis and the Read Or Die OVAs.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Ugh... I want to watch this, but I don't know if I'd be able to convince my husband (or myself) to stay up that late to watch it. We usually go to bed when One Piece comes on, and we don't have a DVR to record it. Guess it'll depend on how awake we still are after whatever we do on Saturday then.

I was gonna suggest you record it, but people don't use VCRs anymore! Laughing Razz

Don't worry. You'll figure it out.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Even if this wasn't airing at a ridiculous timeslot--3 AM, get outta here with that--I probably wouldn't bother. Makoto Shinkai makes some gorgeous eye-candy movies, but I've got no patience for their over-melodramatic storylines.

Is it just me imagining things or do you show up and chastise Shinkai's films for this on a lot of his related articles?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
I liked 5cm Per Second, so I'll give this a try.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:

I quite concur. You were lucky that the tedium gave you half a film's respite before taking hold. My emotional investment petered out during the first incongruous action sequence, never to return. It is as if Shinkai gathered everything by virtue of which I came to love his films, then discarded them wholesale to make this. Thank goodness that a lesson was learned in the process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

I was gonna suggest you record it, but people don't use VCRs anymore! Laughing Razz

Don't worry. You'll figure it out.
Oh, the memories of recording Toonami shows on days when I wouldn't be home on tapes. Laughing
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Movie is okay, but there's better anime movies out there and better suited for Toonami.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Still over here waiting for Toonami to do business with Manga Entertainment and pick up Redline...

But in all seriousness, very much looking forward to this movie and the 5.5-hour Toonami block that results from it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2