• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Under Pressure

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT]Contents retracted.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Retracted.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
So how much time do VA's put in when dubbing an anime?

Given that most animes are 26 x 24 so 12-13 hr of show, how long would it take to dub that?

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Outlaw_Spike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the article but I have one question: Why no Queen/David Bowie reference?

:o
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The biggest problem I've noticed is simply the fact that we as anime fans are a minority in this country. I'm in college right now and I live in a dorm with plenty of other people, and I'm almost sure that none of them like anime. While other people are watching Monday-night football (my roommate included), I'm trying to catch Noein on Sci-Fi. While other people talk about "Heroes" or baseball or the like, I really don't know much about what they're talking about because I have no interest in it.

I like football...and baseball...

That aside, I've found that college students are much much more accepting of anime than any other age group.

Much much more than my parents, who are going to blow a fuse when they find out I spent $130 on the Samurai Champloo box set...
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The best thing: Other anime fans.

The worst thing: Other anime fans.

'nuff said.

So true...

Good job on this weeks Hey, Answerman!, btw. I seem to be liking these ones dedicated to specific topics, very informative.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Things I am officially sick of talking about right now:

* Fansubs
* The "collapse" of the R1 industry
* Kodomo no goddamn Jikan
* Dubs vs. Subs

I was expecting either Yaoi or Vic Mignogna since thats what the last awnserman topic ended up going off on. Not that that isn't an equally annoying topic.
Futagi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
What is the worst thing I've ever seen someone do at an anime con or meeting?
Probably the time a kid came to a meeting, trying to sell donuts for $1 each. What made it really bad though was that he said he'd stolen them off the back of a tailgater's pickup truck.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
Things I am officially sick of talking about right now:

* Fansubs
* The "collapse" of the R1 industry
* Kodomo no goddamn Jikan
* Dubs vs. Subs

I was expecting either Yaoi or Vic Mignogna since thats what the last awnserman topic ended up going off on. Not that that isn't an equally annoying topic.

I think Zac was just getting annoyed with the Vic felatio as he put it. If it's a legitimate issue and it happens to involve Vic in some way I doubt Zac has a problem. Just the endless I Love Vic and wanna bear his children crap can get annoying. Same goes if it was for Chris Ayres or anyone else in existence. Hardly unreasonable.

As for your debate with those people Zac, that is a punk move. And in case anyone questions his claim to be a decent guy and sociable at cons regarding ANN or anything related he actually is. He talked to me for a few minutes after their panel and was very courteous and polite to me. Also, would that happen to be one of your rabbits by chance?

Now the figures from the voice actor seem kinda high, as in a good amount to be paid. Now unless you do constant work like some VA's do that of course won't be much in the long run. My question is is that amount per hour before or after taxes? Also, would the taxes apply per the state the VA resides in or where the dub took place. I ask because obviously some do work for other studios (Like Monica Rial or Chris Ayres for Funi and ADV, and the studios are in separate states.

As for the fan questions, I've avoided answering them despite wanting to since most have been issues I've answered before honestly. I do have a very....enlightening tale that would go with this week's question. So I'm actually going to respond this week. I just hope they're not all I saw people having sex stories.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Futagi wrote:
What is the worst thing I've ever seen someone do at an anime con or meeting?
Probably the time a kid came to a meeting, trying to sell donuts for $1 each. What made it really bad though was that he said he'd stolen them off the back of a tailgater's pickup truck.

..... You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
..... You don't live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada do you? A similar thing happened in one of our anime clubs.

I do... Which of the two clubs was it?
rob_pait

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Oh man, worst thing to happen at an anime club? As a previous president/ current VP of my college's anime club, I have some stories for that. I have to talk to one of my fellow officers in particular about one story that I want to submit to make sure I get all the facts right.

I can't wait to see what gets submitted for that.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Coulmn wrote:
Thanks for the info, anonymous contributor.

Would be funny if it was Vic. LOL.

Stephen hit the nail on the head.

The worse thing at a con? A girl who was pushing 300pounds (maybe more...) decided that wearing a costume of a more than half naked anime girl was great. Yeah...made the sushi in the stomach roll. No pun intedned. Cool

The worse thing a meeting- I use to meet at a Media Play *cry* anime club- and a few kids would get dvds while everyone else was watching the show of the week- and they'd steal them.
It was quite sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:

I do... Which of the two clubs was it?

...There's three clubs.

And it was JAAW at the University of Winnipeg.

Last edited by whoisfriend on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Would be funny if it was Vic. LOL.

It wasn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5