• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Your Name English Dub Cast, Trailer Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNaGem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't planning on seeing the dub at all, but this has changed my mind. NYAV Post has some of the best dubbing I've heard, sometime surpassing the original vocal track in quality. I'll still see the original since I feel I should, but the dub looks like it will be worth watching the movie twice.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Funimation did not produce the dub and instead outsourced it. I imagine the Texas dubs antagonists will be happy about it. Anyway, I look forward to finally watching this movie.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Since NYAV Post is dubbing it, does that mean Anime Limited funded the dub, like with Cyborg009 and Mai Mai Mircle, as both times they used them.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about the staff choices. The two leads are also the two primary ADR directors, and Stephanie's casting director too. I can't think of the last time a situation like this happened.
jimoli5395

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I wonder why Funimation did not produce the dub and instead outsourced it. I imagine the Texas dubs antagonists will be happy about it. Anyway, I look forward to finally watching this movie.

I think this is a case of Anime Ltd commissioning the dub, like their release of Psychic School Wars that Funimation later acquired for home video.

That's just my interpretation of it anyway.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted FUNimation to dub this. But hey, Michael Sinterniklaas is a great ADR Director, so it'll probably be good.

Aww, I just realised: Yukari Yukino, from Shinkai's Garden of Words, shows up here, but she was voiced by Maggie Flecknoe in the dub. I was really hoping she'd reprise her role, because she gave a fantastic performance in that movie. Sad

Last edited by Raebo101 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc With a C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think this is a case of Anime Ltd commissioning the dub, like their release of Psychic School Wars that Funimation later acquired for home video.

I believe this to be the case, as I may have recalled Jeremy from Anime Ltd stating this to be the case at one of their MCM London panels in October, though I may be wrong in stating that. However, since they have commissioned several other dubs in the past for their movie releases, also from NYAV Post as already stated in other posts, it'd be safe to assume that is the case.

On another note, I'm really excited in seeing this already, and I'm hoping, if work allows me, to watch this again with the English dub option. That's a phenomenal cast of voice actors there.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Here in Canada I won't be able to see the movie in theatre until friggin next year. Funimation, please get your shit together.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Here in Canada I won't be able to see the movie in theatre until friggin next year. Funimation, please get your shit together.

To be fair, it's only LA that gets a theatrical release before 2017 for Oscar purposes. The rest of the country has to wait as well.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in a legally dubious venue and it's clear why it's so stupendously successful.

It's one of the greatest "date movies" of all time.
magvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Think they shot themselves in the foot with this one. She sounds like she's about 30 trying to sound like she's 12. He's just sorta boring.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited for the movie but that dub sounds super cringey just going by the trailer. The boy's voice is fine (same as Kenji from Summer Wars, I think maybe they should have gotten someone with a deeper range though), but the girl sounds terrible. Like, "actually a 40 year old woman desperately trying to sound like a peppy teenager" levels of bad (and yes, I realize that she is actually almost that age). My gut emotional reaction says that this movie deserved better.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Darn. If only Johnny Yong Bosch voiced Taki. Wink
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking that the film would be dubbed at FUNimation instead of NYAV. No matter, the voice acting in the dub sounds great so far! Smile
hachi987

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
I don't think Stephanie Sheh's voice was a good fit for Mitsuha. It feels unnatural.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2