• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: your name. Anime Film Earns 19.4 Billion Yen to Surpass Princess Mononoke

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Damn it. It surpassed Mononoke. NO!!!!!

spoiler[I expected it. Let me have this moment.]
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, even Mononoke. If that doesn't get the Academy's attention, I don't know what does.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
ANN should just automate these "your name. is making all the money" posts at this point. It's really insane how much money it's made, especially since Shinkai's other movies weren't anywhere near this popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Noooo... :'( I don't know why I took this so personally, lol. Probably because I'm of the inclination that Princess Mononoke is the pinnacle of human artistry, or maybe I'm just a salty fanboy. Either way, it'll almost surely surpass Howl's at this point, though I doubt it will be able to approach Spirited Away. Leave the king at the top where it belongs. The optimist in me hopes that this is a sign of a successful future for non-Ghibli/Miyazaki original anime films, but who knows. Maybe it's all just a one-time fluke in a dry season and we'll be back to normal after Your Name's reign ends. I still think A Silent Voice should have earned much more than it did at the box office, but it had tough competition, after all. It's nice to see In This Corner of the World bump up to sixth from the tenth spot though.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Wow, even Mononoke. If that doesn't get the Academy's attention, I don't know what does.

Considering there's also a Ghibli co-produced film up for nomination I doubt a more traditional anime film will get the attention. It really doesn't need Academy attention to be legitimate though, it's already proved its legitimacy.
Kamui97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Fight! Fight! Keep Going!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Considering there's also a Ghibli co-produced film up for nomination I doubt a more traditional anime film will get the attention. It really doesn't need Academy attention to be legitimate though, it's already proved its legitimacy.
And it's not like Academy view on the animated movies is completely biased with every year award going to Disney/Pixar movies with really little exceptions.

Last edited by WANNFH on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film ranked at #2 in its 14th weekend, losing the top spot to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which debuted at #1 during the November 26-27 weekend.

For Heaven's sake Rowling, get out of the way! History is being made here. Blasted wizards have no business interfering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
At this point, it will surpass Howl, my personal #1 Ghibli movie. I have a mixed feeling but as a Shinkai fan, I cant help but root for this movie, though it probably won't go anywhere near Spirited Away. I wonder what's Miyazaki opinion about Kimi no Na wa.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
While it probably reach #1 in Japan, considering how Wikipedia says Spirited Away didn't make that much more worldwide compared to what it made in Japan (which is weird), I'd not be surprised if Kimi no Na wa ended up being the highest grossing anime film when everything is said and done.
ew121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
It's a shame Miyazaki and Shinkai's movies are so popular.

They're just doing safe stuff to pander to the normal public, they've never done anything different.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

They're just doing safe stuff to pander to the normal public, they've never done anything different.

I am curious as to what you would classify as "anything different." And Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star definitely was not a "pandering to the normal public" title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

Is this supposed to be bait? Shinkai is debatable I guess, but when has Miyazaki ever been one to play it safe or "pander to the normal public?" Being popular doesn't equate to being pandering or simplistic. Hell, I'd like to see a film like My Neighbor Totoro even get green-lit in modern times, let alone back in 1988 where it was a total flop for its nontraditional story structure and only eventually made its money back through merchandise sales. Stuff like Porco Rosso, about a WWI Italian fighter pilot who has the head of a pig. Or a grounded biopic war drama about the man who designed airborne killing machines for Japan during WWII, from a guy that previously made a kid's movie about a talking fish. They're your usual, pandering anime? And Princess Mononoke is still one of the most thematically and artistically ambitious animated films ever made, for my money. Even Shinkai's works, as Key has pointed out above me, have their fair share of incongruities with what a lot of other mainstream directors put out. I feel like you're going beyond the reasonable "it just isn't for me" disposition and into full-on contrarianism for the sake of it.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing that your name. has managed to stay at the absolute peak of the charts so consistently for so long, only dropping to 2nd twice, and, at least after the first dip, climbing right back up to 1st without slowing down. I'd be incredibly curious to see a list of how many movies in the history of cinema have accomplished something like this.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Since no one is talking about it, I'm glad to see In this Corner of the World turn out to be sleeper hit. That film project started as a funding project and now it's on it's way to make over 3 mil. A big hit by Mappa standards, which they really needed since they haven't had any big sellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2