• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and Minimalism.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RumPocky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Been a fan of anime and manga for a long time, I consider myself an otaku. Reading, watching and collecting so much. Did a lot of fun things too like conventions and cosplay events. But I'm going along the path of a more minimalist lifestyle and it is clashing quite a bit with my hobbies. It left me wondering if there were others out there balancing this kind of thing and doing it well without trouble. Or is it just hard to be a minimalist and an otaku? Is there a balance or just a battle? What do you peeps out there think?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN, RumPocky.

There is definitely a very viable "minimalist" approach to anime (maybe not so much manga) thanks to the relatively low cost of legit streaming. If you can detach yourself from the need to physically own shows (which I can't), streaming affords a cheap alternative. I'm not sure what the situation with digital manga is because I don't use it.

If, however, like me you are afflicted by the collector's bug, and need to physically own stuff, then yeah you are kind of screwed unless you are one of those intelligent people who only buy shows that they really, really treasure and know they will rewatch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I would say that having a hobby is antithetical to being a minimalist. Even relying on streaming is going to involve a fairly decent collection of electronic equipment. I would suggest that if you find yourself getting rid of anime or manga that you might possibly regret, you are carrying it too far.

Personally I wouldn't even consider being a minimalist, I need a wide variety of books and anime around to exist. Simplifying your life is perhaps not a bad idea, getting rid of things you really like just for some concept is counterproductive.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
People in first world countries have such weird hobbies. "Minimalist"? Why? Well, you can do it by streaming stuff you need 2 things: TV and something like a Roku player since a minimalist can keep up to 100 things I guess 2 things is not that big a deal. I reasonably don't care about getting physical copies of TV shows but I like reading physical copies of comics/manga so I wouldn't be able to surrender these things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RumPocky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
@Blood- Thanks for the welcome! Anime smile And I think I am trying more for sticking to what I really really love....I just tend to fall in love easily >.<

Manga for me is slowly going down. As I was first heading into this, I looked at my bookshelf and noticed a lot of shojo series. Some were tossed but then I realized I had a young niece who was into anime, manga, and comics. This should have clicked years ago but I had been stuck on the image of my little 4 year old niece...I didn't notice she's 12 now and we can both fangirl over Free!. She has been slowly getting bits of my collection.

As for other stuff, it's a struggle. I like buying stuff, CDJapan practically owns my PP. But then I get stuff and I'm all "Yay! Now what to buy next?" That constant gotta have it urge was getting to me and add that I don't like to feel cluttered...I cant see myself going completely bare, that would kill me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
@ RumPocky - oh, boy, do I ever recognize that "gotta have it" urge. Buying things you like and collect is pleasurable, no question. Best of luck navigating your "gotta have it" impulse with your desire to de-clutter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1