• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Switch Is Upon Us!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Online features add into that “early access” theory. Nintendo's switching to the now-industry-standard paid online model, but they won't be charging until the fall. It's tough to get worked up about something that's standard on other consoles, but given Nintendo's shaky history with online play it's easy to be skeptical of how worthwhile this service will be. Especially when you hear things like a smartphone app being required for voice chat. Yes, folks—Nintendo's solution for voice chat is literally having you call your friends. Everyone uses Skype or Discord by now anyway, so it's kind of a moot point, but it bodes ill for the future of Nintendo's online infrastructure.

I won't care if they actually match the functionality of XBL and PSN. That hardly seems likely, and I'm not even talking about the free monthly games. The free games for a while now have almost all been indie crap. That said, as someone who tends to get multi plat games on PC where there isn't any kind of charge for any of this, paying for access to online play still annoys me. At least the PS4 online experience offers a roughly equivalent experience even if it costs extra.

Skype and Discord aren't replacements for in-game voice chat though. A lot of people actually use both. I don't really think in-game voice is important for most games, but it sounds like it won't exist in any game. Like you said, that doesn't bode well for their subscription based online infrastructure. It seems very probable we will still be drastically limited because they want to baby everyone.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I wanted that Zelda package for the switch!! FML!!!
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Can't say am a fan of the controller so far (am getting Dreamcast vibes from it). While that new Zelda looks great,I don't feel the need to buy a Switch at launch, especially with the ton of exclusives the PS4 is getting in just the first quarter of this year. The exclusives like SMT5 for the Switch will be probably be great,but that's not coming for around 2 years at the least.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
If you are into team or co-op play, not having in game voice chat is a big fail. Though Nintendo was never known for its FPS games either.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
There's one things that pretty much guarantee I'll get a switch, all of Nintendo new game for the next few year will be on one device (unless Nintendo goes full dork and decide to release another device), neither the 3DS nor the Wii U had the library to interest me but both combine would have interested me.

Otherwise everything about the switch turn me off in one way or another, the touch screen and motion control had there shoot at creating interesting new game element and both failed (with the wii U/smarthone/tablet and wii/kinect respectively) so I don't see why there dragging those back. But because of the console design there almost guarantee to see no use, you can't do motion control when your using it as an handheld device and the touch screen would have to account for player sometime playing directly on the touch screen and sometime on a TV using a controller. So there pretty much just there to be feature on the back of the box (and bumb up the price at the same time) but will see about as much use as the PS4 controller touch screen.

The low power isn't a deal breaker but is pretty disappointing, its ultimately just an handheld device. The online content... well I wasn't gonna use it online anyway so I don't care about that, pretty shady trough. The controller doesn't look that great either and you have to pay a lot to get the pro (ie normal) controller (thanks again pointless gimmick).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Berseria and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 are the highlights of next week for me. I can't wait. :D
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Resident Evil has slowly seen diminishing—and by some accounts disastrous—returns on its heavy combat focus.

.....Yeah I wouldn't buy too much into those accounts since the people complaining about it are the ones who think fixed camera angles, limited ammo, and not very challenging enemies that were synonymous with the older games equal better.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The Switch has too many ports in Japan, I've played those on the Vita already. I'll wait until next year or when SMT V is about to be released or a Gundam title hits the Switch.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
.....Yeah I wouldn't buy too much into those accounts since the people complaining about it are the ones who think fixed camera angles, limited ammo, and not very challenging enemies that were synonymous with the older games equal better.

Because it was? Limited ammo is the point of survival horror. Pick and choose your fights. And the puzzles and item hunting were a big deal as well. It's not suppose to be Call of Duty where you mow down enemies room to room. The new one looks terrible. It's like they misunderstood people's complaints about the series and decided to just give us some first person indie horror game rip off.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The NS has like 3 new games and ports... :/
And only 1 normal game at launch.

Whatever, Gravity Daze 2 this week!
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Because it was? Limited ammo is the point of survival horror. Pick and choose your fights. And the puzzles and item hunting were a big deal as well. It's not suppose to be Call of Duty where you mow down enemies room to room. The new one looks terrible. It's like they misunderstood people's complaints about the series and decided to just give us some first person indie horror game rip off.

You talk about the the older RE's not being about mowing down enemies,but the series was.like that until the remake of 1. You were given an overabundance of ammo and guns to deal with enemies.The remake fixed that,while adding in the Crimson Heads,which made you be smart with which bodies you to burn,to keep zombies from reanimating back into those.

While the puzzles made sense in the first game given the location,they got nonsensical in 2 and 3 (why is the gate to Raccoon City Hall powered by a machine,that requires a bunch of gemstones to operate?).
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Switch.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the games are going to look like. It's almost like games are DL'd through the stores. I guess there might not be anymore games to buy for us.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I got my eyes on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris! Smile So yes...Totally hyped for the Nintendo Switch! Smile

...well...At least until Autumn, in which I'll have to start paying for online use, but that's another matter for another day...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
-Switch: Looking back at the presser, it occurred to me that Nintendo had pulled the rug out from everybody with the Switch. The inordinate attention Nintendo gave to the Joy Cons seems strange, but then I realized the Joy Cons are actually the more interesting aspect of the system. Nintendo declared once again that they aren't getting rid of waggle anytime soon. In fact they're all for innovating controllers, this time not only making the Joy Cons the most advanced Wii Remotes yet due to motion control, but also because they're 2 in 1 with the system coming with two full functional controllers right out of the box, and then there's stuff like the HD Rumble which I'm very curious about. All in all, I'm sure to get another generation of great Nintendo titles, so here's to the Switch.

-FE: Did not see Echoes coming, though I'm glad it's being made as this means all the Archanea games have been remade, thus making them easier to play than their original iterations.

-Zelda: It's ZELDA, nothing more needs to be said.

-Nioh: Now this is what I'm most looking forward to next month. I definitely agree that in terms of combat it's reminding more of DMC and Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls just due to how incredibly fast it is. I fully expect people to upload stylish videos like they did for DMC4
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3