• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's Japanese Dub Reunites Original Anime Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
That's cool! This reminds me of this idea I had for the live-action film: If there were any Tachikoma, it'd be amazing if the American voice actresses who played Motoko Kusanagi (Mimi Woods, Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn, Elizabeth Maxwell) could cameo as various Tachikoma voices... or something.

Y'know, just a little extra something for the fans. Wink
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree. I too am hoping they give Elizabeth McGlynn, Richard Epcar, and the rest some cameos.

Would be insane if on the DVDs / BRs they gave us an alternate English voice track and have them voice over the movie cast. I would rewatch the movie just for that.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Wow... now this is a bizarre situation. Which would be more "authentic" an experience? I can't decide...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I might very well buy the Japanese Blu-Ray release when it happens, for the novelty value of having access to the anime voice cast. ^_^ I'm still not sure when I'm going to see the movie, but I'll probably get around to a matinée a week or two after release.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
Called it. Also, hoping for a 3rd Gig. Please Kenji Kamiyama...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
Something good came from this seeming train wreck and Japan is as obsessed as my country with the notion to dub everything. Let´s see about the new manga anthology too.

Final / next Arise project when? The film was sooo gud. Very underappreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
It's not that uncommon.In some countries,they dubbed Dragon Ball Evolution using most of the cast from the anime
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Finally, I might actually try this [expletive] movie then.
Hopefully it makes the experience much less torturous than i think.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Well, at least Japan is doing it right unlike Hollywood (using more Japanese actors). It sucks there are not enough Japanese or Japanese Americans in Hollywood that could get this movie to sell.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Called it. Also, hoping for a 3rd Gig. Please Kenji Kamiyama...

He's making his own original films now. Just let him do that instead of milking a great series from last decade that had a so-so movie afterwards.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
It's not that uncommon.In some countries,they dubbed Dragon Ball Evolution using most of the cast from the anime

No, they did not. A few worked on the Dragon Ball anime, but nobody was playing the same character. The biggest is Aya Hirano. who dubbed Bulma(Emmy Rossum) in Evolution, and is currently the voice of Dende. Hisao Egawa dubbed Yamcha(Joon Park) and had tons of bit roles in Z.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

No, they did not. A few worked on the Dragon Ball anime, but nobody was playing the same character. The biggest is Aya Hirano. who dubbed Bulma(Emmy Rossum) in Evolution, and is currently the voice of Dende. Hisao Egawa dubbed Yamcha(Joon Park) and had tons of bit roles in Z.

I meant in some countries,not in Japan.In my country,the dub of Evolution used the original VAs for Goku,Bulma,Yamcha,Chi-chi and Piccolo for their counterparts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1