• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Teases Ryuk's Silhouette

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
What? That's obviously L, just from the way he's sitting. Especially if it's the same character seen on the laser corridor, there's no way that's Willem Dafoe
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
completely agree on this being L, no idea why would someone even think that is ryuk.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Y'all sure it's not L? I agree with the others who have already noted this.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
L! Stop wearing shoes and holding the chair! The black clothing was enough, please!
gundamnitharo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
ryuk's silhouette totally shows up at the end of the video before he speaks, it's easy to see after focusing on his eyes. all they needed to do was change the picture in this article
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
That's obviously L. When did Ryuk ever wear clothes in the original?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
SPOILER:
L was ryuk all along.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for these films to release. I want to compare them to the Japanese films, but unlike most people, I won't judge them until I see them. Razz
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Can't wait for these films to release. I want to compare them to the Japanese films, but unlike most people, I won't judge them until I see them. Razz

Well said! Same here.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It's funny to see people on Twitter complain about L being Black, and nothing else.

What worries me is the director talking about all of the nudity, violence and swearing. Like, sure, some of that is in the series, but it almost sounds like they're going to try harder to make the series edgy/edgier. . .
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
SPOILER:
L was ryuk all along.

Well, that explains everything!

endallchaos wrote:

I'd like to see this too, but I'll take the opposite stance: I will treat this movie like as if nothing else in the franchise existed, and I'll base my opinions on the movie as it stands by itself.

manapear wrote:
What worries me is the director talking about all of the nudity, violence and swearing. Like, sure, some of that is in the series, but it almost sounds like they're going to try harder to make the series edgy/edgier. . .

Sounds like what they're doing with Riverdale. What they did with that show kind of annoys me, as the occasional reader of Archie, but if it gets viewers, that's what they'll do.
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Sounds like what they're doing with Riverdale. What they did with that show kind of annoys me, as the occasional reader of Archie, but if it gets viewers, that's what they'll do.

What Riverdale did with its darker crime noir approach is really not all that strange when you look at its decades worth of source material that also did similar things. And sometimes it works well because I don't know anyone who doesn't like "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" for example.

Adam Wingard is known mainly for horror films (something he is also quite good at), so I think the direction to be a little more darker than the original is just him putting his own stamp on the project while being in his comfort zone and distinguishing it. People don't seem to understand what adaptions are nowadays and just complain about the differences when being exactly the same was never the intention.

My philosophy on adaptions is as long as you conserve the spirit of what made us all fall in love with the original in the first place, then creative liberties are fine. Just also handle those creative parts well.

Overall, I don't think it'll be gratuitous to some juvenile extent because I never got the impression this dude has the mindset of someone like Zack Snyder. He just wants his version to be a R rated version, and it's not like Death Note couldn't still work under that umbrella. But yes, I hope that's not a major focus.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
What Riverdale did with its darker crime noir approach is really not all that strange when you look at its decades worth of source material that also did similar things. And sometimes it works well because I don't know anyone who doesn't like "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" for example.

Adam Wingard is known mainly for horror films (something he is also quite good at), so I think the direction to be a little more darker than the original is just him putting his own stamp on the project while being in his comfort zone and distinguishing it. People don't seem to understand what adaptions are nowadays and just complain about the differences when being exactly the same was never the intention.

My philosophy on adaptions is as long as you conserve the spirit of what made us all fall in love with the original in the first place, then creative liberties are fine. Just also handle those creative parts well.

Overall, I don't think it'll be gratuitous to some juvenile extent because I never got the impression this dude has the mindset of someone like Zack Snyder. He just wants his version to be a R rated version, and it's not like Death Note couldn't still work under that umbrella. But yes, I hope that's not a major focus.

Yep, every case I've seen of a movie being a super-faithful adaptation to the source material has either flopped or was critically ravaged. What works for one medium won't work for another. Even the Death Note anime made a lot of changes, increasingly so once Near and Mello entered the story. There's no way you could fit over a thousand pages' worth of comics into one movie anyway without rebuilding it completely from the ground up, which is exactly what they're doing, and it's what the Japanese Death Note movies did too.

As for Riverdale, I know about and enjoy the somewhat self-mocking violent non-canon stories. I liked Archie Meets the Punisher, and I intend to pick up Archie vs. Predator. The thing is that you weren't supposed to take those stories seriously. They were absurd and everybody knew it. I have not idea how seriously you're supposed to take Riverdale though.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty good comparison with Riverdale. I feel like that's the CW effect in general, but maybe this is also the Netflix effect. They have kind of similar/parallel feel in what they seem to be going for with their adaptions and originals.

I agree with both of you. Creative liberties are cool, but also keep the spirit of it. And I liked the first (two?) JP Death Note movies and how they handled themselves. (From what I remember anyway.)

My worry is how they'll go for edge factor and neglect some of the sillier bits for trying to make this. . . well, I don't even completely know. x');

Hopefully they can retain the spirit of the show though. And I've seen people mention that they hope they don't treat Light as some anti-hero or sympathetic figure instead of the privileged, narcissistic youth that he is. There was a great message and theme around Light, and I hope they keep that more than anything.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:

Most of us aren't masochists. With one garbage American remake after another butchering a foreign work, weather it be British, Japanese or whatever, I don't know where you find the optimism for Death Note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2