• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Ghost? In MY Shell?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Not a terrible movie, but a bad adaptation...pretty much what I expected.

I would like to note The Boss Baby's 48% compared to GiTS' 41% on Rotten Tomatoes right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting on the reviews to decide on watching it, though I did consider using the free tickets CR had offered (Waited too long). Considering many of them could be summarized "Good looking souless adaptation", I don't think I'll see it, especially after that twist. This doesn't make me want to see live action adaptations, even if it wasn't the worst such film.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
I dunno...

In years to come, I think people will be able to re-appraise the actresses who have starred in live-action adaptations of video games, manga, and anime better.

They pretty much all have one thing in common -- they're good-looking woman and that's about the only thing most audience goers would agree on.

[As a general rule, I pretty much stay away from movies and anime based on videogames... Not much story to begin with, they're generally shallow. Also, if they cast a supermodel in the lead, at best you can hope they act as well as Schwarzenegger...]

As far as acting goes... Well ----!

Again, Johannson would NOT have been my choice, either.
She has not really made an impression on me in anything I've seen her in -- and that includes the Marvel movies.
I frankly don't get the cult obsession with her or WHY she's a major actress.
I'll leave it at that or it'll seem like I'm flame-baiting...
In her defense, I can't think of a major English-speaking actress that would have been great in this role...

From what I have read about this film -- from the more nuanced, I gather more MATURE replies, the basic problems are the same things that can make any film bad: poor script and wrong-headed vision. And yes, one-note characters and guys standing around who you wonder WHY they're in the movie in the first place?!?!?!? Why should we care?!?!?!
Hearing it's a Robocop riff is NOT a good thing to hear... I loved the original Robocop but it was really the only film in that series (or the later TV shows and the reboot) that was any good! GiTS-LA sounds like Robocop 2, 3, or the recent Robocop reboot.

They really don't have a lot of good writers working on A-budget movies anymore, do they? It seems like they get the scraps or the guys that have worked for Marvel and DC Comics late -- and believe me or not, the writing is at an all-time low at the major comic companies in the US now!
It gets to a point that when I'm reading about movies in advance that I dread to see certain names or hear connections to films that I KNOW I don't like or aren't very good from the consensus I've gathered. Akiva Goldsman and the likes of the guys who wrote the Transformers movies and last three Star Trek movies come to mind---! I avoid films these guys are connected to. Nine out of ten times the films just aren't very good and worth my time.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
I am a little disappointed. Gits was sitting at a 65% with about 40 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes Thursday night and when I woke up Friday it dropped to 41% with over 150 reviews. It's better than the reviews just like Power Rangers was. Go see the movie for yourself.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
This episode made the endurance of this film's production and marketing fully worthwhile. Indeed, Zac himself seemed to make for a more convincing Major!
The empathy in Oshii's original film that stemmed from the refuse collection scene is something I had forgotten in spite of my enduring fondness, so thank you for highlighting it.
You should host ANNCast at 2PM rather than 5PM more frequently, if I may issue a request. Time zones being as they are, it is certainly a more convenient arrangement for some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Planning on watching it myself in a week when I get home from Japan. I have seen several reviews and none of them blasted it as bad or not worth watching.

If it is better than Dragonball Evolution, then that is great.
Dark Cloud Overhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it. I'm not exactly a big fan of Oshii or the first movie to be clear. I much prefer Stand Alone Complex. I've always looked at the first film as more of an art piece than a story driven vehicle, so the criticism that this live-action version is a poor adaptation of the first movie makes me kind of laugh. The first movie had plenty of room for improvement, as the TV series proved. I realize it's basically impossible for people not to compare it to the earlier versions of the franchise, but I still think folks should try and check their expectations at the door and at least give the movie a chance before deciding to hate it like I've seen so many people already doing before it ever even came out.
Kikimani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I was actually more interested in hearing what you guys thought about the live action Beauty & the Beast Laughing. Still not sure if I wanna see GitS yet. Not sure if the visuals are a big enough sell for me. And the brain of a Japanese woman's brain placed in a white body, cyborg or not, is an actively annoying addition for me. Why did they feel the need to add that detail...
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I am a little disappointed. Gits was sitting at a 65% with about 40 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes Thursday night and when I woke up Friday it dropped to 41% with over 150 reviews. It's better than the reviews just like Power Rangers was. Go see the movie for yourself.

Well it depends. The reviews for Power Rangers were pretty much right for the most part.Both the positive and negative reviews said the same thing, just that the end result of whether you enjoyed it was different.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that scarlet did a very good job of acting the role of major. I have yet to hear an argument about what she did wrong, NOW I didn't really like how much she complains in this version, but I think she did a very good job portraying her.
ALSO this version of batou actually is now my favorite version of him! He is actually very charismatic and has warmth to him. because I am sorry but he is rather generic in both versions people actually care about.

I thought that the final twist was rather generic but it actually answered the white washing argument to quite well.

The spider tank made me sad just because I really wanted to see the tachikuma design, they could have atleast painted it blue. But THIS MOVIE LOOKS AMAZING pretty much in all other cases!

Ghost in the Shell has ONLY ever really cared about batou and the major NOT anyone else. I think that they went out of there way to make sure the stupid Hollywood audience can understand what actually is going on. I disliked that but I think zac is being way to hard on the movie.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
it also cared about the major's daughter, though, it was pretty fun discovering it was the major's daughter and not the actual major the one we were watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1