• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Light Novel Author Reki Kawahara's Home is Buried in Sword Art Online Merch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
He needs to get a set up similar to what the Yu-Gi-Oh! creator, Kazuki Takahashi has.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well I suppose it's better than having pictures of himself all over the place.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
So...his house is buried in garbage that (almost ironically) literally and figuratively matches his content.

WOOO! Yeah! Rim-shot!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, I recently watched Polygon's interview / "make a Mario Maker course" with the creator of Touhou Project, and he had about a hundred Touhou figures sitting behind him in his office. I figure it's customary to send a complementary figure to the creator.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
So...his house is buried in garbage that (almost ironically) literally and figuratively matches his content.

WOOO! Yeah! Rim-shot!

And people, this is why that even not being a SAO fan, i can't take the hate with this franchise seriously, the haters just always sounds and write like a bunch of 12 years old kids stuck in 2012! lmao Laughing
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
That house is a treasure chest. Many of that is probably first edition and if he put his signature on them, that items will worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the collectors market.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm imagining Eichiro Oda's house.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it's time for Mr. Kawahara-san to find a bigger home to display the entirety of his current SAO collection... Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

WOOO! Yeah! Rim-shot!

Yeah, Leafa's boobs are not trash to me.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

WOOO! Yeah! Rim-shot!

And people, this is why that even not being a SAO fan, i can't take the hate with this franchise seriously, the haters just always sounds and write like a bunch of 12 years old kids stuck in 2012! lmao Laughing

Which is ironic, because that's what they claim the fans of SAO are.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Now I'm imagining Eichiro Oda's house.

I imagine a lot of busts...of the characters.

The first image kinda makes him look like a hoarder. He definitely need more space to display them. I didn't think I would be impressed, but then I saw the Sinon RAH. Nice.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Shinuki wrote:

You two do know I was just joking around? Are you seriously triggered by my silly comment? I ended my comment with "Rim-shot"...ummm...hello?
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Reki is showing symptoms of a hoarder.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Actar wrote:

You two do know I was just joking around? Are you seriously triggered by my silly comment? I ended my comment with "Rim-shot"...ummm...hello?

I'm pretty sure they understood your joke, but you called his content garbage so unsurprisingly someone was annoyed by that.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Many of that is probably first edition and if he put his signature on them, that items will worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the collectors market.

Eh.

Collectibles are an oddity in that it's very difficult to determine what properties and items will be in high demand decades from now. One good thing to look for is worldwide distribution. If a property is very popular and distributed in multiple languages around the world, that is a good sign. SAO does have that going for it.

However, Reiki Kawahara has gone to several conventions worldwide and has signed a lot of stuff. To say that something might be worth thousands dollars is unlikely simply because the man has signed a lot of stuff.

Point being - Never collect in the hopes of one day making a killing off your investment. I've been around long enough to see people get really burned by that. I remember when certain cels from Fushigi Yuugi sold for stupid money, and now, they're really cheap. If you're going to collect, collect what you enjoy.

As for Kawahara's collection, I'd love to see some of the original artwork he's been given from artists like abec and the various Aniplex artists that have given him artwork through the years of working on his property. Seeing that would be really impressive to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2