• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: School-Live! Anime's English Dub Cast Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Brittany Karbowski as Yuki...AKA Yamada from B Gata H Kei.

That's an...interesting casting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Now I have more of a reason to watch this. Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The voice actresses for the four main characters are very capable, but based on these clips, I am not sure if Luci Christian and Brittney Karbowiski are good fits. I want to believe that I will feel more comfortable once I watch the full dub.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Based on these clips... I'm not sure I just saw the same clips as I think Brittney Karbowski completely nailed the energetic yet broken yet slightly crazy Yuki. She didn't go full Ghost Stories with the laugh even if she's playing a similar character... but it's probably for the best.

First thought at the end of the clip: "Run away, must get away from this room, this girl."

The one that worries me is Cynthia Martinez. I can list plenty of her roles but I can't even say if I honestly liked her in any of them, not just a placeholder name but also actor. She was ADV's Lina Inverse for some reason as well as Sentai's Illya from Fate/Kaleid, things like that...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the few who liked Cynthia Martinez in the role of Lina Inverse for some reason, and her hyperactive spirit in Puni Puni Poemi was hilarious. But I'm not entirely set on the idea of her voicing Miki of all people. Kurumi would have been more of a fit.

I haven't heard much of Juliet Simmons' work, or any of her work come to think of it (I saw Girls und Panzer but there were so many Goddamn characters I can't really point her out). I've tried to avoid the Akame ga Kill dub as much as possible, sorry.

Luci is Luci. Interesting choice. God I feel old now.

As for Brittney, she fills out Yuki's shoes pretty well. Was kinda hoping for a higher pitched voice for the role, kind of a Hillary Haag or Stephanie Sheh-ish way (not Rial, nothing personal, just didn't feel it in Monica here). But Brittney seems to have the character well covered, a little airy but still good. Have to see the finished product to know for sure.

Really up in the air about Taromaru though. Tiffany Grant is surely a veteran, but is she proficient enough to bring out the drama of a dog? Hmm.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad that I have the collectors' edition on preorder. This is going to be a great dub.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I haven't heard much of Juliet Simmons' work, or any of her work come to think of it (I saw Girls und Panzer but there were so many Goddamn characters I can't really point her out). I've tried to avoid the Akame ga Kill dub as much as possible, sorry.
She was also cast as the lead in Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, if you've seen that.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Whats even more interesting is that out of Brittney's countless roles, you chose to mention Yamada from B Gata H Kei
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Really up in the air about Taromaru though. Tiffany Grant is surely a veteran, but is she proficient enough to bring out the drama of a dog? Hmm.

She played a seal in Kaleido Star, so a dog is probably not much of a challenge.

Speaking of decent Cynthia Martinez roles and feeling old, I just remembered Kaleido Star is from like 2004. Oof.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
i'm pretty open about having no love lost for sentai but the performances here are better than i was expecting.

i do think my biggest problem though is Yuki's voice. i understand them not wanting to go with a nasally squeaky moe voice but honestly? with Yuki being who she is and the role she plays in the narrative and the meta that School-Live plays with I think you kind of NEED that higher more typically 'anime' voice. even putting that aside, a big point of Yuki's character is that she's very childish and sort of babied by the rest of the club. I feel like Brittany Karbowski's is a bit too deep and rough for her.

Yuuri's voice took me a moment to get used to because it's a very different direction than M.A.O took her. But the feeling is still the same -- i love the tone she uses, that sort of gentle voice that's juuuuust on the verge of being babytalking, like the way you'd talk to a little kid. it's perfect for the way she talks to Yuki but i hope it doesn't colour the rest of the performance too much. i could see it getting grating.

Kurumi is eeehhhhhh. Juby's voice is fine for the role but I don't dig (huuehUHEUEHUE) her performance all that much. Her inflection is a bit wooden and forced and that awkward pause after Yuki delivers one of her own lines kind of broke the flow of the scene for me.

Miki is similarly eehhhn. I think this was a really shitty choice of clip for her considering she barely talks in it and I don't really like the VA's enunciation here. She sounds both overacted and a little slurred which is a shame because the actual voice is just fine. She might sound better in another scene but eh. We'll see.

I guess one final nitpick is that it looks like they're going to be inconsistent with the honorifics which drives me up the wall. Either keep them or ditch them, don't pull this inconsistent half-and-half shit. It ALWAYS sounds awkward and falls flat.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
A problem I have with Sentai scripts is the use of honorifics in English since they often out of place and generally bad. I know some series they might fit but they generally don't
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Whats even more interesting is that out of Brittney's countless roles, you chose to mention Yamada from B Gata H Kei

Well that is arguably one of her best known roles next to Wendy Marvell from Fairy Tail and Mikoto Misaka from Raildex
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
A problem I have with Sentai scripts is the use of honorifics in English since they often out of place and generally bad. I know some series they might fit but they generally don't

It's actually not that often that they do this. The last several dubs I've watched of theirs didn't use them. I'm actually struggling to remember the last one that did.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

What I mean is that he chose the one role where the show had a bit of controversy in it. Aside from Wendy she also voiced Apis from One Piece and Pride from FMA Brotherhood. And what is it with some people spelling her first name wrong. Its Brittney not Brittany

Last edited by GhostD on Sat May 20, 2017 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
GhostD wrote:
Quote:

Well that is arguably one of her best known roles next to Wendy Marvell from Fairy Tail and Mikoto Misaka from Raildex

What I mean is that he chose the one role where the show had a bit of controversy in it. Aside from Wendy she also voiced Apis from One Piece and Pride from FMA Brotherhood. And what is it with some people spelling her first name wrong. Its Brittney not Brittany

I just have to say, that Brittney has voiced a lot of characters (like over 100 different characters, a lot) and the one I remember her most for is Ayu from Kanon, her "uguu" is infinitely much cuter than the Japanese counterpart.

Other prominent roles that comes to mind is Yuri form Angel beats, Black Star from Soul Eater and Yuki from Is this a Zombie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1