• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20-Year Veteran Anime Technical Director Reports 100,000-Yen Monthly Salary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Yikes! I've heard that the pay sucks, but that's almost ridiculous.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Why work in anime? Just go work for an international company that specilizes in animations or for videogames.

Though since healthcare and other benefits are free in JPN I guess the pay isnt actually bad.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
That level of pay is just downright ridiculous!

I mean...hell, even the one works in restaurant (full-time, or half-time in some sushi place) at Japan earn WAY WAY more than that pathetic amount.

No wonder less and lesser youth willing to devote their lives to anime industry, because unless you are the topdog of certain field, you are doomed to live a below-average life
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This in comparison to what else in the industry and in the country is what I'm more curious about. That is definitely eye opening but having other careers to compare to would give a better bigger picture.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
This in comparison to what else in the industry and in the country is what I'm more curious about. That is definitely eye opening but having other careers to compare to would give a better bigger picture.

the problem is that you don't have to compare to other careers, that pay compares (unfavourably) to service jobs. I can complain that IT (programming) in japan pays a miserable 40k usd per year, but at least they get paid more than service people, it still feels worth having a college level preparation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
20-Year Veteran Anime Technical Director Reports 100,000-Yen Monthly Salary

This headline is contradicted in the article itself. If the guy only worked on one anime a month then his "salary" (he seems to be freelance/contract worker and has no salary/wage) would be 100k yen. However he works on two anime a month so his earnings are around 200k yen per month.

I have no idea how the misleading headline was greenlit. I guess it would be more eye-catching? Disappointing.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Why work in anime? Just go work for an international company that specilizes in animations or for videogames.

Sadly most other entertainment industries are not much better. Major Hollywood productions aren't pulling in huge profits anymore, and the majority of the staff feels the brunt. The vast majority of Video Game companies struggle to turn big profits as well. It's generally just those higher up and the actors who are still making good money.

I'll say it again, Anime (and other mediums) need to start finding ways to make more money, because this level of pay is not acceptable. When surveyed, only 1 in 2 Hollywood movies even turn a profit. And of those surveyed, the top 6% of movies earned 49% of all the earnings made by the studio. Anime is at least doing other methods such as Pachinko, and other odd ways of earning money, but those earning rarely end up on the people making the anime, but rather the production committees that front the cost. At least it's way better off than the American TV industry, where it's getting extremely rare for any show to turn a profit.

I honestly don't know what they can do, but they need to figure out something to make more money in this digital age.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
They could work on many other things but they still prefer to work in the anime industry, the reason seems pretty simple to me. The pay might be bad, but they're working on the thing they enjoy the most, this industry is about devoting yourself to create that which you love, not work for some random person just to get a good pay. On the other hand, they still fight for a better pay.

Still, I believe these companies need someone devoted to keeping the finances in check, manage cashflow and pretty much control all the accounting, I'm prettu sure they could cut certain costs and get more income if negotiations were done with more care. Alas, they're more focused onc reating that which they love, meaning they don't focus as much on those other aspects of a company, and when push comes to shove, they simply lower the salaries simply because everyone will still do their job even if the pay is lower.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Unless they seriously start to think about doing something about these issues, we might very well be seeing the swansong of Japan's animation industry, or at least the end of its heydays. The Asian scene, mainly China and Philippines(Korea never really took of despite starting relatively early, though there are several subcontractor studios), is slowly rising, while the target audience is slowly but surely getting older. Yes, there is always that younger generation, but anime has to compete with an evergrowing collection of other interests in this mobile and gamified era.
If this continues, it will stifle creativity and the flow of new blood into production will drop to a trickle, no matter how passionate people may be there's always a line. And all that would reflect in future works.

Heck, I work in construction, base grunt work, and I make more than that...
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Love of the medium? Passion for the industry? Working on some kiddy cartoon probably wont sate their passion. Besides, the last thing we should want are people only in it for the money with zero respect for the medium.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
20-Year Veteran Anime Technical Director Reports 100,000-Yen Monthly Salary

This headline is contradicted in the article itself. If the guy only worked on one anime a month then his "salary" (he seems to be freelance/contract worker and has no salary/wage) would be 100k yen. However he works on two anime a month so his earnings are around 200k yen per month.

I have no idea how the misleading headline was greenlit. I guess it would be more eye-catching? Disappointing.

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You're quite welcome. I'm glad that someone is appreciative of me pointing out that the 20-year veteran anime technical director does not have a 100,000 yen monthly salary as the headline indicates. A 100,000 yen monthly salary would be ridiculously low.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You're quite welcome. I'm glad that someone is appreciative of me pointing out that the 20-year veteran anime technical director does not have a 100,000 yen monthly salary as the headline indicates. A 100,000 yen monthly salary would be ridiculously low.

No problem. I'm here for that. Wink
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Sobe wrote:

the problem is that you don't have to compare to other careers, that pay compares (unfavourably) to service jobs. I can complain that IT (programming) in japan pays a miserable 40k usd per year, but at least they get paid more than service people, it still feels worth having a college level preparation.

Someone with no context can't properly gauge how jaw dropping 100,000 yen (or ~$900) is when the U.S. doesn't have anything really comparable.

I'd like to know what other professions are within 100,000 yen of that income on average. Otherwise it's just another "yeah, that's bad" reaction without much to go off of.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
I'd like to know what other professions are within 100,000 yen of that income on average. Otherwise it's just another "yeah, that's bad" reaction without much to go off of.

I'll just say this.

A convenience store worker who works 32 hours a week (a little below the national average) makes 1000 to 1200 yen per hour. I'll use the low number for an estimate

4.3333 (average weeks in a month) * 32 * 1000 = A little under 140,000 yen earned in a month. Keep in mind that I used the low value of the range.

So a convenience store worker earns roughly 1.5 times that of a 100,000 yen monthly income.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2