• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Not definite proof that these are the same person, but I found this article talking about a senior named 陽本百香 drawing a blood donation cartoon. I also found this tweet about the same event, but the tweet says 陽本(ようもと). So maybe Yōmoto. If you're sure the White Fox animator is new, the age makes sense and they might be the same, and the news tweet might be right.
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Great.
Yes I'm sure this is a new animator. White Fox recently promoted a lot of in-betweener and started recruiting new animators. In-betweener are usually young and I can't find any references to this person on any wiki like seesaawiki.
Thanks for your help Derek.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
For the record, Yōmoto is also the only reading held for the name in JMnedict (while it isn't all inclusive, especially when people use pseudonyms with uncommon or their own unique readings, a single reading is the best possible result - there's nothing worse than having a list of 20 to narrow down from...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
"守 奏佑" is the episode 4 director for Knight's and Magic. It could be Sousuke [take your pick] but, given that the Sakkan for this episode is Chang-Hee Won I'm concerned it may be a Chinese name. It seems like all the google search results are quoting the same source unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
For the record, Yōmoto is also the only reading held for the name in JMnedict (while it isn't all inclusive, especially when people use pseudonyms with uncommon or their own unique readings, a single reading is the best possible result - there's nothing worse than having a list of 20 to narrow down from...)

Hi,
Thanks for your help (with Derek). It's finally confirm with her twitter account: @YM_mooon (ヨーモトでやんす)

I now try to translate this name:
斉藤 貴巳一
How to translate the first name? Takamichi/Tamamitsu? I can't find any information.
Thanks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
That definitely on the uncommon side - the first result for "貴巳一" is a White Fox site (but it is literally the only thing on the page) and Animator Expo is near the top also. Now, the Animator Expo site has an English version so if we're lucky... Kimikazu Saito apparently.

person#133064 already exists with no Kanji name set, but the two roles are probably not the same person.

--edit--

Confirmed different Kanji; split the animator to person#162284
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Great! Thanks Shiroi! I didn't see Animator Expo website has english version. I can finally confirm the name of White Fox Izukōgen members (Hopefully their translation is good but this is the only source of information for now)
Thanks for the new entry.
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This thread looks dead but I try... Is someone can help me to translate this name please:
"加藤治茄" (http://izu-fox.com/staff)

I don't know how to translate the first name and I can't confirm anything with my search results.
Thanks for your help.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Yuuan_ wrote:
This thread looks dead but I try... Is someone can help me to translate this name please:
"加藤治茄" (http://izu-fox.com/staff)

I don't know how to translate the first name and I can't confirm anything with my search results.
Thanks for your help.

When I see the kanji Japanese given name '治茄', likely reading candidates that occur to me are 'Haruka' and 'Haruna'.

The problems are:

1. Readings of a kanji which are used in Japanese people's names are occasionally different from ordinary kun-yomi readings and on-yomi readings of the kanji.

2. It is possible that the correct way to read the name of a Japanese person is known only to the person himself/herself and his/her family.

The correct way to read the given name part of the autonym '横溝正史', who was a famous mystery writer, is 'Masashi'. But when young 横溝正史 (Yokomizo Masashi) went to Tokyo and joined the world of publishing and mystery writing, his colleagues and friends in Tokyo erroneously called him Yokomizo Seishi. With a wry smile, 横溝正史 came to use 'Yokomizo Seishi' as the reading of his pen name, which had the same kanji as his autonym.

Since 横溝正史 became a very famous mystery writer, the 'How to correctly read his name' info is now relatively easily available. But this does not apply to persons such as 'no-name' animators.

No offence to the encyclopedia editors and contributors to the encyclopedia, and I don't want to become a wet blanket, but it might be better for the encyclopedia editors and the contributors to ponder whether it is feasible to thoroughly compile an English encyclopedia about anime and manga to the level where the encyclopedia accurately lists thousands (or tens of thousands) of Japanese people who are 'no-name' or not-very-famous (and who, of course, have those esoteric and burdensome Japanese kanji names).
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer shosakukan, definitely interesting. Japanese names are such a pain to read.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yuuan_ wrote:
Thanks for your answer shosakukan, definitely interesting. Japanese names are such a pain to read.

It's a pleasure.

In a scene of the An Unsuitable Job for Miss Fujiwara manga by Ishii Hisaichi, the heroine, who is a teacher at an elementary school, called the register in her new class, but many pupils said, 'Ma'am, actually, the correct way to pronounce my name is so-and-so.' While Ishii Hisaichi wrote and illustrated the scene in a comical tone, the scene has some truth, and it is sometimes difficult even for a Japanese person to correctly read the kanji names of other Japanese people.
It is said that in recent-ish years in Japan lowbrow fathers and mothers tend to give their babies unusual names written in kanji, which are difficult for people who have no relation to correctly read, and, in fact, occasionally I see such names on news.
If they enter the anime and manga industries and come to appear in the credits, trouble for the encyclopedia editors and the contributors may be going to increase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8