• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making First Contact with KADO: The Right Answer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I would agree wholeheartedly with the author about just how unusual this classic hard SF (in the classic early first half to middle/late part of 20th century in books, mid onward I suppose for Movies/TV) story is to see in anime. I have been raving about this to those I know who are also serious SF people, but they do not want to believe me because anime is not at all known for this type of story in a serious manner. This is really good! It is also.really atypical for the medium as far as I've ever seen in watching over the past several decades as a serious fan BECAUSE it was one of and at times the best AV forms of SF storrytelling I could find anywhere, especially growing up into my mid 20s, anyway.

KADO is like nothing else I can think of that I have ever seen in this medium, and I have lost count at how many anime series and even more hundreds of OVAs I've seen at least once in my life, and KADO rings unique for me in the anime context. That is a hard thing to be doing, and I am very grateful to be experiencing it. I'm even happier to see that at least one other sees it much as I do for the same reason regarding the nature, original, and purpose of that classic hard SF question and manner of exploring how we would deal with the alien and of course how the alien deals/interacts (and yes, violence is interaction too, unpleasant interaction but...) with us, whether we be the ones dominant, submissive, or manage an equilibrium that works out well for all. And of course extinction, but that is rarely where such stories go. And yes, I do understand those are gross oversimplifications, treat them as classes/generalizations than a tight definitional basis please.

I am very much looking forward to where this ends up, and it came at a really good time for being a positive experience thanks to matters in rl that have needed some balancing since just after this series started, and this has been majorly useful to me as well as a great pleasure. Rarely does any series manage that for me regardless of genre/subgenre.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I agreed up until the last few episodes. This show has gone so far off the rails, that it's just ridiculous. I was willing to forgive all the forced drama, but last week's major plot revelation broke me. That was so stupid and awful that I don't even know if it can recover anymore. It's upsetting to see an intelligent show just crater like this. Almost feels like someone else is interfering with the writing.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
vtcious:

While I can see the basis you are using for that, I'm not so sure I agree, not yet. I want to see this through before I make that call, because for me it still feels like it is on the rails, I'm just not sure yet where those rails are going. Whether or not I like the destination can only be known once I'm there, sooo...*shrug*

Even if it ends in a cliche though, I still have really enjoyed this one on levels I am more used to from my books.I'll wait to see whether it does though, because I can still see possible outcomes consistent with classic SF framing open, the question is as I said, do the rails go to one of them or somewhere else? That I do not know yet, but they got me this far, I'm in to the end. YMMV
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It's upsetting to see an intelligent show just crater like this.

The show was always stupid; that carry-on with the UN showed it. "Every country against japan" just isn't realistic. It's just that the stupidity-du-jour hit something you recognised, is all.

I mean, it's enjoyable enough, but it was always nonsense.

[labcoat over short dress? You wear labcoats to protect yourself, which means you need protection: if it's labcoat time, it's long-trouser time and closed-toe shoe time too.]

[also異方, "differently-directioned", is vague enough to mean what they want, but anisotropic -- "not the same in all directions" -- really in't.]
hack5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I agreed up until the last few episodes. This show has gone so far off the rails, that it's just ridiculous. I was willing to forgive all the forced drama, but last week's major plot revelation broke me. That was so stupid and awful that I don't even know if it can recover anymore. It's upsetting to see an intelligent show just crater like this. Almost feels like someone else is interfering with the writing.

I agree with you,seriously right now i just finish episode 10 and boy i was disappointed,frustrated and mad why,why in gods name did they ruined an awesome show with all that bs.Im done this show is garbage to me now dropped form episode 10 i dont even think i what to know how it ends anymore
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1