• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Phantom Master

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy the Gantz set if it would actually look good on my DVD shelf Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed to hear about Shin Angyo Onshi. The manga sounds and looks pretty good and while I knew that the movie would only cover a small portion of it, I was hoping it would it at least be decent. It's sitting on my shelf already, so I'll be watching it at some point, but I'll lower my expectations accordingly.
Necrontry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
I'd buy the Gantz set if it would actually look good on my DVD shelf Confused

I would too but I bought them in thinpaks... Really wish I hadn't now as the packaging looks so cool
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
The depressing thing about having $30 worth of Best Buy reward certificates is sitting at your desk, thinking about how much money you've blown at Best Buy.

I had this delima the a few weeks ago- it took me a few hours to remember i had bought a computer and that huge chunk of rewards wasn't just my spending. It also reminds me I spend too much a year; I've gotten $50 in rewards before the computer. lol.

Onto the dvds; I've been meaning to get Gantz since I saw the frist few episodes awhile ago. This might be the boost I need if there is a sell at best buy black friday.

To the shelf owner- nice job finding samurai seven for $6. I'm also happy to see KH. Very Happy

Good job as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Im dissapointed at the poor review of Blade of the Phantom Master. I had somewhat high hopes for it. Oh well, lucky I didn't already get it or anything.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Retailing at $99.98, it's not bad for the entire series. If you're really aching to own the series, though, and you're a poor college student... well, TRSI has both of the thinpak seasons for $24.99. You just won't be able to roll them around.
Only...it doesn't make a bit of difference guys, the ball is inert. And unfortunately, TRSI search links don't stay current for very long, but here are Season 1 and Season 2. Although getting both thinpacks for $24.99 each still doesn't beat getting the first season set for free and the second season for $29.99 Wink

Ramen Figher Miki seems like it could be amusing, but I'm not going to bother with it for now (never saw the fansubs either), because I know Media-Blasters will eventually release the collection for $29.99 MSRP with a "better than nothing" artbox.
xtrek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say that I can't agree with the review on the Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master) Movie. Shin Angyo Onshi is a popular seinen manga series that has fans in many countries (since the manga is also officially released in European countries) and there's no reason to shun it that quickly. The movie has all the good points of the manga although it can only offer a small glimpse into the whole complicated story.

First you have to realize that this is a story with an actual historical background that the creators describe in detail in the manga. Its based on Korean myths and history and forms them into something new.

Munsu is an anti-hero that might come off as a 'dick' first but at a second glance there is much more to him. He's one of the last Angyo Onshi (or Amen Osa) who tries to uphold the old order and justice that Jushin once provided. He's in his thirties, his body is weakened by an asthma-like curse that catches up to him in the most inopportune moments (like when he is attacked in the desert). He doesn't go around and wipes out the bad guys with his Phantom Soldiers (although he could), but relies on his own fighting power and cunningness to defeat his enemies.
He also doesn't shy away from using questionable methods, as long as his goal his reached any method will do including lies and violence. He also prefers to keep a low profile not wanting to make people rely on him as the legendary Shin Angyo Onshi that he really isn't. He is no miracle worker, he encourages people to take things into their own hands (you can clearly see that in the movie when he reaches Mong Ryong's home). In the movie you learn that Munsu's aim is to find and possibly kill his archenemy Aji Tae and that he is willing to ignore people suffering because it won't get him closer to Aji Tae.

Munsu often clashes with his shy and highly moral Sando Chun Hyang. And although the way her character is drawn may suggest it: the series is not misogynistic. Sando has an incredible fighting power and could take out Munsu if she wanted to. He is just not used to working with others and sharing his plans and he knows that Sando doesn't share his views. He makes her follow his commands because he actually knows what is going on behind the scenes, what kind of power Aji Tae commands. This is best seen in the case on the 'illusion island'. Because he trusts in nobody than himself he can see through the illusion and find its master.
There's actually a lot more evidence in the manga that the story is not misogynistic at all. Munsu notes at one point that he 'always knew that women are stronger than him'. Moreover there are some pretty strong women in the manga like Miss Hwang, Kye Wol Hyang or Mago.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well the issue is that the review is of the movie, not the manga. While the manga may have all kinds of added depth and development and thoroughly explained backstory that doesn't necessarily mean the movie does as well. The manga could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but adapting sliced bread in to a 90 minute movie would probably work about as well from the sounds of it.

You reference the manga a lot but that's not what is being reviewed. Using the quality of the source material to determine the quality of the adaptation means we better start rethinking all of Uwe Boll's films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to agree on the review of Shin angyo onshi. If I remeber correctly it's practically a reproduction of the first eight or nine chapters of the manga. It just doesn't work as a movie. The real problem is that without the first arc you're left without an introduction to the characters, yet at the same time it really just can't stand on its own. To be a good movie it would've needed a series to back it up so they wouldn't have had to worry about background info. With that said it's still a relatively watchable movie imo.

The claim of misogyny seems kinda of out in left field what with this being based on a rather small excerpt from a seventeen volume series.

Last edited by babbo on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well done, Bamboo! That is definitely the best review for AIR I think I've ever read. Smile Makes me wish I was back in America to pick up the DVDs, but that'll probably be on my Christmas list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
The movie does Shin Angyo Onshi no justice at all. The manga is far and away one of the greatest series I have ever read. The art is unparalleled in anything I've come across, and the story is simply amazing. A true epic series in the making, coupling stunning art with an equally well written story.

There are sections that borrow from Korean folklore, but a unique spin is put on all of them.

The series is anything but misogynistic. xtrek put it so nicely, but its much more than that. Nearly every reappearing female character depicted in the series is incredibly strong willed and capable.

A pity the movie compresses it so much and poorly, but if you are able, read the manga. You will not be disappointed.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Not sure why I thought of this, but has Bamboo ever done a Shelf Obsessed of HER shelves? How about it? Smile

Also, more on topic, Air was my introduction to the moe phenomenon. It's such a sad show but so, so pretty and so good. Oh, and yeah, so very slow. Wink
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Beck is one of the best shows out right now.

Couldn't agree more. I know I've said it time and time again, but I just can't get enough of it. I'm really glad that the discs are coming out every month instead of every 2, because that means less wait time.

I have been wanting to get Gantz, so I'll consider that... strange set that they've got.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Word. Beck is awesome. So awesome that it makes my other anime dvd's cower in fear, so I had to put it on a separate shelf (that and the box is too big to fit with other titles beginning with "B").

I hadn't even heard of Ramen Fighter Miki until it came out on dvd, which I promptly ordered because 1) it was cheap, and 2) anything titled Miso Mayhem must have at least some entertainment value.

I liked Air, but when it ended I felt like I needed more. Then again I haven't watched the movie/specials so maybe I should get those.

Nice shelves. Is that Puni Puni Poemi hiding up there? The first time I watched the opening to that show, I almost wet my pants.
xtrek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
I guess, it's ok to say that we agree to disagree on the topic of the Shin Angyo Onshi movie and that's fine with me.

I watched the movie was impressed by the quality of it and then started reading the manga, not the other way round. And I think it's fair game to use the manga as a reference to the movie as long as the enthusiasm for the manga is not simply transferred to the movie. The manga was the basis for the movie storyboard and nothing more. It provides help in assessing the quality of the story. And the movie does what a good movie should do, it takes bits and pieces of the original and puts them together in a form that viewers who haven't seen the original manga can appreciate.

The story of the movie doesn't follow the manga timeline (that would have made it faaar longer since the story develops slowly). It takes two episodes (that were located in in the first volumes of the manga), one focused on introducing Munsu and Sando and the second one centered around the mysterious island. And the movie provides a satisfying end to this story arc. No need for complaints. I'm not saying that the movie is the best movie ever made but it has a story, a conclusion, nice artwork and animation and let's not forget good voice acting (at least in the Japanese version, can't say anything about the dub).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2