• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Testament of Sister New Devil, Orange Anime on Home Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I thought Sentai got Sister New Devil. Neat. Wonder if they will dub it. If they do I'll most likely pick it up.
dannphou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
So, what is this "final" version??????

Now I'm having trouble choosing between waiting for the Funimation version or just importing the Japanese 4K version even though both will have english subs.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope they license Scum's Wish.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Im pretty sure that property belongs to amazon. I could be wrong but i dont think Amazon has anymore plans on subbing out their shows to crunchyroll and funimation for home video release beyond kabaneri of the iron fortress
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Im pretty sure that property belongs to amazon. I could be wrong but i dont think Amazon has anymore plans on subbing out their shows to crunchyroll and funimation for home video release beyond kabaneri of the iron fortress

That's a shame if it's true. I know a lot of people (myself included) were hoping Funi would be able to snag the home video rights for Virgin Soul. I alos wouldn't be opposed to them getting Re:Creators as well.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally, waited almost a whole year for any kind of news on the Testament of Sister New Devil release between crunchyroll/funimation.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
K-Anime wrote:
Finally, waited almost a whole year for any kind of news on the Testament of Sister New Devil release between crunchyroll/funimation.

I'm still waiting on Bungo Stray Dogs' dub that they announced would get a dub during the initial Funimation/ Crunchyroll partnership announcement.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
K-Anime wrote:

I'm still waiting on Bungo Stray Dogs' dub that they announced would get a dub during the initial Funimation/ Crunchyroll partnership announcement.

Hell we are still waiting on myriad colors to come out too. I've been trying to be extremely patient with that one damnit
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Just yesterday I got Sister New Devil on steam, and now Funi announces a release. Well, it was only 10 bucks, so i can buy it again Anime hyper
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

The evidence thus far suggests that Amazon obtains only streaming rights.

I doubt CR obtained their home video license for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress from Amazon any more than Funimation obtained their home video license for The Seven Deadly Sins from Netflix.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

The evidence thus far suggests that Amazon obtains only streaming rights.

I doubt CR obtained their home video license for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress from Amazon any more than Funimation obtained their home video license for The Seven Deadly Sins from Netflix.

Your comparing apples to oranges in my mind. The kabaneri announcement was before the funimation partnership and before amazon started getting a shit ton more shows. They are competing directly with crunchyroll and funimation now for majority of the shows whereas netflix only licenses 1 or 2 shows a season.

Im just not putting my hopes up on a release from funimation or crunchyroll at this point. Not with their current partnership with sentai.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Your comparing apples to oranges in my mind. The kabaneri announcement was before the funimation partnership and before amazon started getting a shit ton more shows. They are competing directly with crunchyroll and funimation now for majority of the shows whereas netflix only licenses 1 or 2 shows a season.

Im just not putting my hopes up on a release from funimation or crunchyroll at this point. Not with their current partnership with sentai.

It is still possible, and would not surprise me since they did license Kabaneri, and Scum's Wish has the same timeslot.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
For some reason I thought Sentai got Sister New Devil. Neat. Wonder if they will dub it. If they do I'll most likely pick it up.

Considering the vast majority of their catalogs are dubbed, including High School DxD & Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, I would easily bet that this will get a dub as well.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
It's really important to remember that Kabaneri was licensed and streamed BEFORE Strike came into existence. Just because CR and Funi were able to get rights for that one, doesn't mean they will necessarily be able to get rights for the other Amazon shows. Not to mention, no one has announced home video acquisitions of any Strike titles since it launched.

I do agree that they most likely licensed the home video rights from Japan, and not from Amazon. However, given that home video and streaming rights are so often bundled together, it's quite likely that Amazon has home video rights to most of their shows.

Hopefully, Amazon will partner up with a company like Sentai or Funimation to put them on home video and dub them, if they have the rights.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Considering the vast majority of their catalogs are dubbed, including High School DxD & Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, I would easily bet that this will get a dub as well.

they did confirm a year ago that it would be dubbed when the partnership was announced
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2