• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL 2&3 Trailer Reveals More Staff, 2018 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah this bought me back nostologia.

Looking good so far and we're getting 12 episodes! Can't wait for 2018.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the designs.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm still struggling to see the point of more FLCL (other than to make money off of nostalgia, of course), but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.
catbot158

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Whoo, FLCL!!! The trailer didn't show all that much weirdness, but they're probably holding back right now. After all, nothing amazing ever happens here... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah. I wonder if we're going to get a lot more concrete lore details, and whether those will retroactively effect interpretations of the original. So cool to see The Pillows back.

edit: I'm confused regarding how much new design work Sadamoto is actually doing for this, since both him and Kubota are credited. The new characters don't really seem as distinctive as typical Sadamoto designs.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I have not been won over yet. Still conflicted about how I feel about this. Looked good visually, but the story is what matters.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to imagine an anime in less need of a sequel than FLCL (Cowboy Bebop, perhaps, or Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket), but I'll at least give it a shot. The Pillows OST is sure to be fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's hard to imagine an anime in less need of a sequel than FLCL (Cowboy Bebop, perhaps, or Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket), but I'll at least give it a shot. The Pillows OST is sure to be fantastic.

I feel the same way, though that trailer actually got me feeling pumped despite myself. It's probably mostly nostalgia, but still.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Although I was satisfied with the FLCL original ending I'm still super excited for season 2 and 3. Man 2018 is going to be such a great year. Very Happy
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not that stoked for this. I think the original series had a satisfying open ending, and this is just trying to milk the FLCL cow beyond what it can give.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I am the target audience for these sequels because I never found the original FLCL that good and interesting. I only liked the universe and Mamimi, and I would like to see more of them in these sequels. Good luck to Production I.G.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
From the comments it seems I'm the only one who thinks FLCL ended too open in terms of its backstory, nothing is solved about who or what Haruko is, nor the King of Pirates, just that MM are the bad guys that like to flatten planets, and most important of all, why guitars? I do understand that Naotakun's story somewhat concludes in a sort of "teen" ending, but that's that.

FLCL felt more like an OVA series that was aiming to get good sales and eventually produce a full TV season, but fell short on those most needed sales and was thus archived until some western companies decided to resurrect the brand with their own agenda.

I don't know if the new anime will be any good, from the trailer I can feel a sort of "we like gurren lagann" and "we loved Diebuster", and that certainly doesn't send good vibes to me, and I really don't know why... But this is most likely due to what I've seen us westerners doing to the different series when we had freedom to do whatever we wanted to, I'd rather leave everything in the original creators's control while I feed them money to make more and better stuff.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
IGN just posted the direct trailer on youtube for those who don't want to go through facebook. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW81Ekacf4

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Although I was satisfied with the FLCL original ending I'm still super excited for season 2 and 3. Man 2018 is going to be such a great year. Very Happy

Yep, can't wait for season 2 and 3! Smile
Great trailer and hearing that music (hell yes!), and when you see Haruko again, hype, can't wait to see it on Toonami.
I already like the designs for Hidomi and the one with the one-piece futuristic shades, and the everyman guy looks as expected.

And so good to see Haruko looking right in her brief moment Smile

Especially glad that Tsurumaki is overseeing as supervisor and The Pillows are back.

catbot158 wrote:
Whoo, FLCL!!! The trailer didn't show all that much weirdness, but they're probably holding back right now. After all, nothing amazing ever happens here... Wink

Yeah, seems like it Wink
While not a lot of weirdness is shown, I really liked the movement, camera, and body language, which feels really promising toward recapturing the animation feel of the original. Like the camera view as the car moved toward the screen toward the character, the two characters running spastically with the speed lines with an interesting perspective (just like the old show), and the brief shot of the piece of mecha rolling, all felt nice and kinetic and smooth which will be a big deal for them to pull off for this to feel right. Smile

Love the glowy bits on Hidomi's cat-eared headphones. Smile

鏡 wrote:
Hell yeah. I wonder if we're going to get a lot more concrete lore details, and whether those will retroactively effect interpretations of the original. So cool to see The Pillows back.

edit: I'm confused regarding how much new design work Sadamoto is actually doing for this, since both him and Kubota are credited. The new characters don't really seem as distinctive as typical Sadamoto designs.

Probably a case of Sadamoto is doing the original design illustrations and then Kubota is adapting them for animation.

Nice credits for this guy too, Kubota also did the animation character designs (and chief animation direction) for One-Punch Man. And Corpse Princess/Shikabane Hime with Gainax (so he should be able to bring over some of that feel, like Haruko still looks perfect in her brief moment in the trailer) as well.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 am; edited 4 times in total
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I am curious that it was specifically stated that season 3 will be a brand new story just like how season 2 is a new story following up the events from 1. FLCL season 1 focused on middle schooler Naota, and season 2 is about high schooler Hidomi. So that leads me to think season 3 will follow a college/adult aged character. Just a theory.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I was really ambivalent about the idea of FLCL sequels till I saw this. I really think this might work with them being separate stories connected by the appearance of Haruko and Medical Mechanica rather than direct sequels to the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3